Account Privacy settings

southdeltan

So, you have a virtual stalker, so what?

What's the problem in people seeing that you went to cache a then cache b...?

If you are so concerned that everyone is looking at every word that you say, then make all your logs TFTC or something similarily bland.

Any cache page log can be found just using google, so nothing that geocaching.com could do (and I'm certain that they will do nothing), could ever stop your online activities from being viewed by us NSA people (oops did I just say that?). This is the modern era, if you can't participate in online actvities, then don't. Everything is under constant scrutiny, everywhere. 1984 wasn't just 25 years ago.

Edited by trainlove

I think one of the best aspects of this website and geocaching as a whole is the overall sense of community and sharing that comes from me being able to see other cachers' logs and photos and travel bug movents and stories.

I know several member that find this same aspect to be "creepy" and "weird". Too bad.

If you wish your logs and whatnot be kept secret then use a program like GSAk to record your own logs and finds and send an email to the cache owners. Nobody says you have to keep those online.

Also - if somebody was determined - simply blocking a user account or 2 would be ineffective anyway. Way too easy to setup a new account and see everything again.

Where's the problem?

Your home coord's aren't visible to anyone except reviewers and such (or are they the problem?)

Your email address isn't visible unless you want it to be.

No where is your email address visible.

No where is your real name visible.

Since you log caches online after you find them and there is no indication before that your going to look for one, its unlikely someone is staking out a cache waiting for you.

Anyone that sends you email still doesn't know your email address or IP unless you reply, and its easy enough to ignore those.

The only real issue left is events, so don't attend.

Where do you think there is a privacy issue? The only thing I can see is a problem with reviewers/staff, which I'm not saying isn't a legitimate point, but its the only one I see.

I'm real curious what other privacy issues you see?

Another thing to remember is that your log on the cache page is from a past visit. You are not there right now and no one has a way of knowing where you are going to cache. You could always log your caches a few days after you have visited an area if you are concerned about people knowing where you have cached. I know of a few people that don't log their finds on GC.com and that is their choice.

In fact, one of them emailed me that one of my caches had been damaged. As a cache owner, it is nice to see the logs of people visiting my caches but if they don't log it that's ok to. I think this game is about however you want to do it to make it fun for you. If you enjoy going out on hikes and finding things, than this is for you. If you are concerned about running into people outside of your safety net than this may not be for you.

I agree with StarBrand that even if you had the ability to block a user they could create an alias account and still look at your profile. Your profile page is as in depth as you want it. You can hide your email address and if someone does email you through GC.com you could have that address blocked in your preferences and you would never see it, therefore you would never get any email from the site.

Again, It is all up to you how you play the game.

Potato Finder beat me to some of the points I made.

Edited by ao318

I agree with Potato Finder, what is the real problem? You can cache with no one knowing. You can go out whenever you want. You can find as many as you want. All you need to do is make the time and enjoy yourself. I mostly cache with my daughters and always with my dog. It is great fun just getting out of the house and walking the trails.

Don't give up because you are afraid of people knowing you are caching. If you don't log the finds in GC.com, no one will know and it will be your only secret. Especially if you don't even write on the log sheet. As I said earlier, this is just a game. Enjoy it as you see fit. If that is just getting out and doing the hunt and find with no log whatsoever.

Sorry to see you leave for something that you can control.

Nevermind, I'll go back to not geocaching. No big deal. Thanks for the support.

Moderators, can you PLEASE lock this.

sd

00020344.gif

OK, this image is out of line! :bad: I didn't get to see the OP, but I'll tell you what. I had two completely whacked-out cyberstalkers shortly before I started geocaching. As a matter of fact, I'm "TheWhiteUrkel" because the name I had been using on the internet since Al Gore invented it wasn't safe to use anymore. If I were a geocacher before then, these obsessed whack-jobs would have googled me, and been able to figure out my general location, and track my movements, for the most part. They certainly googled everything I ever posted to the internet for clues to my identity and location (although they were unsuccessful)

I guess you have to have been in the rare situation of being a cyberstalkee. And like I say, I haven't actually seen the OP, just parts of it from quotes.

I really have not seen another website where you can't remove your "history", especially if you emailed the admins with a special circumstance. I had dozens of internet posts removed from very understanding admins when I was a cyberstalkee. Had I started geocaching 6 months or more prior, and had the misfortune of using the internet handle these kooks were after, I absolutely would have asked that my entire history on this website be wiped out. And I seriously doubt it would have happened.

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel