Earthquake

Harry Dolphin

I felt it, but didn't think anything of it. Living in Kinnelon we have to deal with the blasts from the Bloomingdale quarry almost daily. Sometimes the house and windows shake from the blast and we're about 4 miles away.

I guess the hour it happened should have been cause for alarm, but hearing booms and having the house and windows shake is so normal I didn't even pay any attention.

I felt it, but didn't think anything of it. Living in Kinnelon we have to deal with the blasts from the Bloomingdale quarry almost daily. Sometimes the house and windows shake from the blast and we're about 4 miles away.

It doesn't say why but quakes in the east seem to carry further...

From the USGS site:

Earthquakes in the central and eastern U.S., although less frequent than in the western U.S., are typically felt over a much broader region. East of the Rockies, an earthquake can be felt over an area as much as ten times larger than a similar magnitude earthquake on the west coast. A magnitude 4.0 eastern U.S. earthquake typically can be felt at many places as far as 100 km (60 mi) from where it occurred, and it infrequently causes damage near its source. A magnitude 5.5 eastern U.S. earthquake usually can be felt as far as 500 km (300 mi) from where it occurred, and sometimes causes damage as far away as 40 km (25 mi).

It doesn't say why but quakes in the east seem to carry further...

From the USGS site:

Earthquakes in the central and eastern U.S., although less frequent than in the western U.S., are typically felt over a much broader region. East of the Rockies, an earthquake can be felt over an area as much as ten times larger than a similar magnitude earthquake on the west coast. A magnitude 4.0 eastern U.S. earthquake typically can be felt at many places as far as 100 km (60 mi) from where it occurred, and it infrequently causes damage near its source. A magnitude 5.5 eastern U.S. earthquake usually can be felt as far as 500 km (300 mi) from where it occurred, and sometimes causes damage as far away as 40 km (25 mi).

I remember this one

us2002deam_ciim.jpg

I remember thinking "that seemed like an earthquake" I was one of the first to report on the map above. Only one in town that felt it but they gave me an Intensity II. I was surprised how far the epicenter was.

Something's up. 3 earthquakes in a week. Hmmm, maybe I'm about to have ocean front property here in Kinnelon.

I felt the one Saturday pretty good. Heard a boom and a cracking sound and the house shook. Skigirl came running into the room asking what happened. I told her I think we just experienced another earthquake. The epicenter was about 3 miles from my house according to the USGS. Google Earth shows it to be practically in the backyard of a house. I wonder what it felt like there.