Garmin 60CSX,Colorado, or Oregon

1Woodsman

I know that the entire internet and every GPS group imaginable has been worn out answering these types of questions, but I reaqlly need your help. I have my choice of either of these, or any GPS for that matter.This March is my 50th birthday and my wife has decided to take out all the stops and let me pick out my gift. I have decided that I would like an upgrade to my Magellan Meridian Gold and I don't know where to go. I kind of wanted to get away from Magellan because since I've had mine I hear mostly good about Garmin and mostly bad about Magellan, so I wanted to jump the fence to see what it's all about. I use the GPS for the woods and hunting mostly, and most of that use is walking rather than on a quad or skidoo. I do use a quad, bt only to get into and out from various camps and getting supplies in and "hopefully" my harvested game out, so I don't need it for the quad so much. I do use the meridian with direct route NA for turn by turn in the city, but only as a toy and entertainment. Hopefully some of you fine folks can help me out with the pros and cons of some of the better units out there. By the way, this will likely be the last unit I will ever buy or have to buy, so this is why I decided to go higher end and as new fangled as I could.

Thanks,1Woodsman

If you do NOT care about paperless geocaching: get the 60CSx. A workhorse. There is a thread in this forum where a guy dropped his off his car at 40mph and it kept working.

If paperless geocaching is important: I recommend the Oregon. Others will recommend the Colorado. There are lots of threads in this forum where the pros and cons have been debated ad nausea. You can easily find them by looking down the subject lines.

I strongly recommend you go to a store and try out both of them and see what you like. AND make sure the store has a liberal return policy.

I know that the entire internet and every GPS group imaginable has been worn out answering these types of questions, but I reaqlly need your help. I have my choice of either of these, or any GPS for that matter.This March is my 50th birthday and my wife has decided to take out all the stops and let me pick out my gift. I have decided that I would like an upgrade to my Magellan Meridian Gold and I don't know where to go. I kind of wanted to get away from Magellan because since I've had mine I hear mostly good about Garmin and mostly bad about Magellan, so I wanted to jump the fence to see what it's all about. I use the GPS for the woods and hunting mostly, and most of that use is walking rather than on a quad or skidoo. I do use a quad, bt only to get into and out from various camps and getting supplies in and "hopefully" my harvested game out, so I don't need it for the quad so much. I do use the meridian with direct route NA for turn by turn in the city, but only as a toy and entertainment. Hopefully some of you fine folks can help me out with the pros and cons of some of the better units out there. By the way, this will likely be the last unit I will ever buy or have to buy, so this is why I decided to go higher end and as new fangled as I could.

Thanks,1Woodsman

Whoo boy, this is a question that gets asked about once a week in this forum. I suggest you do a search of the forum on the above three models and read all the threads to get the complete scoop. You will have different feedback from nearly everyone, and folks who will also jump in and tell you to get some other brand as well! If you are set on Garmin:

All three of the units you describe can handle City Nav NT software, which will give you everything you need for "in your car" route-following. All three devices also can handle topo maps and some come with them pre-installed. I suggest if you have the option to get a unit with topos installed, do it. I didn't, and wish I had. You can still buy them aftermarket and install via a micro SD card or through a DVD/computer setup, but, the devices that have them pre-installed already have the memory to handle them and don't need the SD card for it, leaving your card slot open for other uses. Be aware that because of the lock codes on the topos, you will only be allowed to use Garmin's topos on the device you bought them for - one topo per unit. If you buy separately after purchase, get them on DVD, as there is more functionality available with planning your trips, etc. on your computer with the DVD maps. You cannot do that with the pre-installed MicroSD cards.

I think most people will tell you, of the three, the 60CSx will be your best bet for the uses you describe. It is probably Garmin's best all-around GPS in terms of functionality and features. I had one sent out, and liked it, but chose another device because the other fit my end use better.

I use an Oregon but as it's a geocaching-oriented gps, those features may or may not be useful to you. However, I also hunt and fish, and it still works great and has the features needed for those activities. I bought it because I geocache 2-3 times a week, and I am hunting/fishing maybe once/twice a month in season. So, my primary usage dictated that choice. So far, I have been extremely happy with it. I am a sucker for touchscreen devices, and this one is really nice. The touchscreen works well even with gloves on. One drawback for some people with the Oregon is the dim screen. After following all suggestions to get around this as found on this forum, I've decided the dim screen issue isn't an issue at all. I get good readability and decent battery life from my unit.

People have reported problems with the Colorados. I don't know if the latest models are fixed or not. I think the general consensus will be to stick with 60CSx or Oregon, but... there are people who have the Colorados and love them.

If you have some locals in your area with the above devices, see if they will take you out for an afternoon and let you see how they work. Only you know if you like something, and sometimes it takes some use to figure out what annoys you or what you wish you had.

Lastly, since your wife is going all out for this big present (I have a 50th BD coming up, and I hope my hubby turns out to be as generous!), consider yourself a lucky guy and HAVE FUN SHOPPING. :)

BlueDamsel

DeLorme PN-40

If money was no option for me, I'd buy the PN-40se and a map subscription so I could load it full of aerial views of my favorite places! WOW!

I second the PN-40 recommendation. Not sure if the se models warrant the extra $$$ though ($500 for the SE model from DeLorme vs. $320 currently for the non-SE model on amazon.com). The difference with the SE model is 8GB of internal memory vs. 1GB on the non-SE. However both support SDHC cards.

From what I've heard, their customer support is unparalleled. The TOPO 7 software it comes with has a learning curve, but is very powerful. And don't forget UNLIMITED map downloads for just $29.95/year!

Check it out. DeLORME PN-40SE

DeLorme PN-40

If money was no option for me, I'd buy the PN-40se and a map subscription so I could load it full of aerial views of my favorite places! WOW!

I second the PN-40 recommendation. Not sure if the se models warrant the extra $$$ though ($500 for the SE model from DeLorme vs. $320 currently for the non-SE model on amazon.com). The difference with the SE model is 8GB of internal memory vs. 1GB on the non-SE. However both support SDHC cards.

From what I've heard, their customer support is unparalleled. The TOPO 7 software it comes with has a learning curve, but is very powerful. And don't forget UNLIMITED map downloads for just $29.95/year!

Check it out. DeLORME PN-40SE

From what I've read, the built in memory is well worth the extra $$$, they have plans for this in the future or something! Also, you get the travel power kit with the PN-40se. Having extra memory never hurts anything, and could be a HUGE plus later in the game (especially if the purchaser didn't plan on upgrading again).

Whoo boy, this is a question that gets asked about once a week in this forum. I suggest you do a search of the forum on the above three models and read all the threads to get the complete scoop. You will have different feedback from nearly everyone, and folks who will also jump in and tell you to get some other brand as well! If you are set on Garmin:

I agree with the forum search and when you do that with regard to your intended usage:

I use the GPS for the woods and hunting mostly, and most of that use is walking rather than ....
, take particular note of those that claim to have held both the 60CSx and the PN-40 in their very own hands.

Some will be surprised to see a substantial preference for the DeLorme.

What country are you in?

Sorry I realize now how important that is since the Oregon 400 is no use to me.

His profile shows him in Newfoundland. So, to answer your question. Canada.

Right on the first attempt, as I said above, i should have included that little tidbit for as important as it was.

thanks, 1Woodsman

What country are you in?

Sorry I realize now how important that is since the Oregon 400 is no use to me.

His profile shows him in Newfoundland. So, to answer your question. Canada.

Right on the first attempt, as I said above, i should have included that little tidbit for as important as it was.

thanks, 1Woodsman

Nothing wrong with the Oregon 300.

Yes, you can get the Oregon 300 and put the topos you want on it. It's cheaper than the OR400 to account for not having the topos preinstalled. That's the one I use, actually, but I wish now I'd gotten the one with maps already on it. It's not a huge deal as I don't need topos that often (and I always take paper maps, which don't need batteries), but... still...

Regarding customer support, I have always had excellent customer support with all three Garmins I have owned. Also, all my older Garmins still run well, and I still use them as backup devices to my Oregon. One of them is the orginal little yellow Etrex, and is around 9 years old.

(Delorme, while I'm sure is a fine company, is not the only one where you will find good customer service, as some posters here would like you to believe. I think Delorme makes a good product. I looked at them when I was shopping. I narrowed it down to Garmin because I liked the Garmins better in several categories than either Delorme or Magellan's units. Personal preference!)

Plus, the Garmins support Mac computers very thoroughly, which is a huge consideration for me, as I have been on a Mac since the original Lisas came out.

My two cents,

BlueDamsel

Thanks to everyone that took the time to give me their opinion on these units. This confirms what I was really leaning towards, but I wanted some input to help me because I felt I was starting to look at the choices with blinkers on since I liked the touch screen of the Oregon 300 so much.I was so taken with the touch screen that I didn't think I could make a fair comparison of the ones I checked out as possibilities.I'll continue to try to turn up as much as I can before next month when the big day is officialy here and I have to come to a decision.

Thanks, 1Woodsman

Since the PN-40 and Oregon 400 series are out it may come down to the 60csx or the oregon 300. I have both and am more focused on outdoor activities than geo-caching. It's a tough call.....60scx is likely more rugged and has a few more features.......the Oregon is easier to use and with the DEM is definately way cooler............

If geocaching is not a requirement, I would take the 60CSx hands down.

Agreed with Tequila here. The Oregon is a geocaching-specific kind of GPS. Still does all those outdoor activities well, but it is heavily programmed to appeal to geocachers. Unless you're doing lots of that, the features built for it are probably wasted. If I wasn't doing so much geocaching, I'd have bought a 60CSx too.

BD

......the Oregon is easier to use and with the DEM is definately way cooler............

No DEM in Canada yet, unfortunately.

The Colorado is just as good if not better for your uses and cheaper than the Oregon. For the quad use the Oregon or Colorado is better due to the larger brighter (when on external power) screens.

For hiking only, a Vista HCX is better than all of them.....

Yes.

850 MB is a little low for my uses. I like to leave the internal memory available for maps that change like the trail maps.

Plus they are stupidly expensive and when they re-release all of Canada on DVD for not much more than the cost of one micro-SD card, it will hurt....

Are the roads changed at all from Topo Canada 2?

Thanks,1Woodsman

If you want to use it mostly for Hunting and just being in the woods, take it from a fellow hunter, you need the 60csx. I have had mine for almost 3 years now and have had no problems with it. I just ordered a colorado 400T a day ago, so I really don't now much abou them yet. Stay away from the Oregon is what I have heard. All in all I think you will be happy with the multi use of the 60 csx for hunting and caching.

Thanks,1Woodsman

Make sure you take it outside in the sun light. Garmin tried to save money by using a non reflective screen. So go outside turn the light up all the way and made your decision .

Thanks,1Woodsman

Make sure you take it outside in the sun light. Garmin tried to save money by using a non reflective screen. So go outside turn the light up all the way and made your decision .

Thanks,1Woodsman

Thanks,1Woodsman

Hammering home the point? :(

When you get an error, don't refresh, but use your Previous Page button instead. You'll save yourself some grief of multiple posts by ensuring your post did or did not go through upon error.