As a New Geocacher - What Frustrates You The Most?

Headhardhat

You heard about this really cool game, sport, obsession known as Geocaching. As a fellow geocacher who writes tutorials. I would like to know:

What gives you the most pain or frustration when first starting? :D

and/or

What you would like to know about that you have difficulty with now? :)

Taking on all geocachers with this regardless of experience.

-HHH :D

I didn't know how to use the GPS to my maximum advantage, specifically that I should use it to triangluate. (I still keep forgetting to do this!)

What you would like to know about that you have difficulty with now? :D

Well, I still have trouble with 2/2s so I'm not quite up to this level yet...but I have no idea how to go about solving those puzzle caches which have the description written in code. Also I've read a couple of cache descriptions that are supposed to be a puzzle, but to me it just looks like a normal paragraph. (Example: GC190GN)

Hopefully, by the time I make my way up to those difficulty levels I'll have a clue as to where to start. :)

Edited to add: As my brain seems to have decided to work (for at least a limited time), I realize that you said you write tutorials. "Oh! Maybe he's already got a tutorial on puzzles...Yep! He does!" Off I go to watch it. Thanks!

Edited by tooiake

When I started I didn't know how to use my GPS so I walked around trying to match up the coordinates on the GPS with the coordinates of the cache. It was a tedious and frustrating method of geocaching. I finally read the owners manual after about 4 or 5 finds and learned how to input coordinates and use the navigation screen.

So I guess in the beginning it was knowing the basics of GPS operation. Inputting coordinates and using the navigation (compass) screen.

Edited by briansnat

My biggest frustration and current one, too, is which gps to start out with.

I am trying to understand the differences b/n all the units.

What features MUST I have?

Also which bells and whistles do what and do I need them?

i.e.-do I need paperless caching? How important is color? etc.

btw - i am still wondering which bells and whistles I want.

Surprisingly, as a Mac user, getting all the technology to work together - the Garmin Mac software, the Geocaching.com website, and the GPSr itself - has been far less frustrating than beating the brush for micros... or paying for Garmin Topos, only to find more detailed topos online for free... or posting DNFs only to see someone else had hopped out of their car and got the find in seconds the same day.

My first 3 finds, in a bay-side open space, were a well-disguised micro, a magnetic and an ammo can. It was a 1-day lesson in geocaching, and it prepared me for what to expect, and how to think about the search. Of course, I went 1 for 4 this Sunday so... micros in areas you could hide a large ammo box in are the most frustrating.

I think preparing us noobs to research in advance of getting out and caching would keep a lot of people from getting frustrated. The resources are all here, the info is available and abundant, it's the tips and tricks that make a noobs life much easier.

What gives you the most pain or frustration when first starting? -

1.Thinking that it would be easy to find caches. Not knowing how many types and sizes they're were (Thanks to Photobug for holding our hand)

2. Friends and Family that don't get it and think you are: a) A total Geek :) Nuts c) have too much time on your hands d) all of the above

What you would like to know about that you have difficulty with now?

1. We have found almost all caches with in 20 miles of us. Use to be lets go do a cache. Now it's lets plan a trip to go get a cache. Humm.....How to get more caching time?

2. Cachers that create an account on Friday, Find a cache on Saturday and hide 5 on Sunday. Some do good. Most place lots of Geotrash. (sorry, I know that isn't a popular feeling) Teaching the 'Newbies' with out looking like an a**

You heard about this really cool game, sport, obsession known as Geocaching. As a fellow geocacher who writes tutorials. I would like to know:

and/or

My main frustration is the many broken rules I find that I say nothing about because I don't know who to tell. Maybe I'm just a prude, but I don't like finding caches with ants in them because someone decided to put candy/cookies in them. Or when cache owners are repeatedly told that their cache contents got nasty and they don't do anything about it--including warning people. Or like a cache that hasn't been found since August of last year, and when I requested a check on it, I got a response talking down to me.....and still no check! There should be a flag/report button on pages, and if there already is, it should be made more visible!

*sighs* Sorry for venting, but the door was open.....

One other thing I thought of...it would be nice to have a picture or description of the actual cache. I mean a micro can be a film canister or a chapstick tube. I have found one that was an electrical box (not powered).

I know that finding the cache is part of the fun, but I would like to have some idea of what I'm looking for. could the description be dimensions i.e.-small box 2" x 3"

One other thing I thought of...it would be nice to have a picture or description of the actual cache. I mean a micro can be a film canister or a chapstick tube. I have found one that was an electrical box (not powered).

I know that finding the cache is part of the fun, but I would like to have some idea of what I'm looking for. could the description be dimensions i.e.-small box 2" x 3"

I don't think that I'd want this at all. I'm so new that I'm still waiting for my GPS to be delivered... so I have zero finds, but I want the satisfaction of figuring out for myself what the cache looks like. This is like an Easter Egg hunt, only you don't know what the Easter Egg looks like. Call it my second (or third or fourth??? :) ) childhood, but I want to do it all myself.

At the moment, what frustrates me the most is that I was too cheap to play for 2 day shipping on my eTrex. I keep reading about all the fun everyone else is having, and I want it myself. Ah, well... patience, Grasshopper. :D

Ok, I'll take a stab at this one. Been at this for 8 months now, J loves it, BnW find it a chance to get outside and see places. They enjoy it, but have not yet become addicted. :D

So, for us anyway. We try to cache as a family. As you may guess from our avatar, we get to lug a now 18-month old around. We also live in a cache-poor area with not a bunch of options among the few that are here. Far too often, WE select a cache to go after, J goes find it, while BnW wait in the car. I still enjoy the hunt, but also don't enjoy leaving the other 2/3s behind because they simply can't make it. And then hustling to get it done quick and back to the 2/3s waiting in the car. And before you say it, I'm doing my part to place caches that we can get to, its just difficult around here to do much, and, well,...frustrating. And no, we get no entertainment from LPCs (especially since there are few around here).

So, J spends a lot of time researching caches that WE can do...time better spent doing many other things.

(And don't get me started on the "It's not about the numbers myth".) :):D

I don't think that I'd want this at all. I'm so new that I'm still waiting for my GPS to be delivered... so I have zero finds, but I want the satisfaction of figuring out for myself what the cache looks like. This is like an Easter Egg hunt, only you don't know what the Easter Egg looks like. Call it my second (or third or fourth??? :) ) childhood, but I want to do it all myself.

I think most would agree with you. Describing the container would spoil the surprise on quite a few of the more interesting caches.

IMHO, the variety of containers really adds to the game. There's room for caches of many different types and I agree with the poster that is frustrated about all the caches that seem to be placed solely to cater to those with lots of experience. I wanted to first cache that I place to be fairly easy to find but uses a hide technique that while not really unusual (I've found several hidden in the same manner) but demonstrates to newbies to the game that not every cache is going to be a tupperware (or film) container stuck in a hole in a tree.

and/or

My main frustration is the many broken rules I find that I say nothing about because I don't know who to tell. Maybe I'm just a prude, but I don't like finding caches with ants in them because someone decided to put candy/cookies in them. Or when cache owners are repeatedly told that their cache contents got nasty and they don't do anything about it--including warning people. Or like a cache that hasn't been found since August of last year, and when I requested a check on it, I got a response talking down to me.....and still no check! There should be a flag/report button on pages, and if there already is, it should be made more visible!

At first I felt that way too. but if people use the size listing on the cache page properly it's not necessary. That would make the game a lot easier, and I like the challenge. Micros can be the toughest because they can be easily camoed and come in many shapes and sizes. This is a great micro near me. I believe it would be impossible without the hint, and even then you have to decode the hint

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...34-80bcbd63bf7a

The thing that frustrates me the most is cryptic puzzles. I've solved a few that are straight forward. I feel when I get some extra time, I may be able to crack them, and with experience I'll get better.

Edited by IkeHurley13

Um ... I guess caches with nothing worth looking at (trading for) would be my main frustration.

I don't usually trade but I tend to travel with an 8 and 10 year old who are all about the treasure at the end of the hike .. so, they're thrilled when we find a well-stocked cache and disappointed when we find one full of garbage.

But ... I'm teaching them to always leave better than we take so that the next kids who find the cache will have a better experience.

Thanks for asking!

When I started I didn't know how to use my GPS so I walked around trying to match up the coordinates on the GPS with the coordinates of the cache. It was a tedious and frustrating method of geocaching. I finally read the owners manual after about 4 or 5 finds and learned how to input coordinates and use the navigation screen.

So I guess in the beginning it was knowing the basics of GPS operation. Inputting coordinates and using the navigation (compass) screen.

Ooooh, we did the drunken sailor waltz, at first, too. Walk this way a while, then that way, then, no back that way, then steady as she goes this way for a bit, ah shoot, now we need to go this way a while....

So yes, I figured there had to be a better way and actually read the manual. I read it with the gps in hand and pushed what it said to push, to see what happened. I pushed a lot of wrong buttons and it didn't do much at first...

And yes, the thing that is soooo wrong with the manuals is that every single page expects you to already be familiar with all the terms. So I ended up having to flip back and forth in the manual to look up almost everything.

Eventually, after a long and frustrating afternoon navigating around my own front and back yard, I figured out how to enter coords, push GOTO, and follow the compass arrow to the cache. Then the rest started falling in place.

The coolest thing came the next week, when we were out caching, and we ran into a couple that had been caching for a year already. They noticed we had the same gps they had and they asked us if we knew how to use it--so we could show them! Oh that was a proud moment for two newbiew!

Later, we met other cachers at events and they showed us ways to tweak the gps to get the best use from it. And other hints came from these forums. But you have to get those basics first. Man, it sure does make you feel dense at first, doesn't it?

The thing that frustrated us the most when starting was not knowing 'proper' procedures. There is a lot of info out there about how to use the GPS, what to look for, how to search an area, etc. There is nearly nothing on what to do once you found the cache.

If the log is missing or wet, do you email the owner, just mention it online, or use a Needs Maintenance flag?

What, if anything, do you do with an obviously misrated cache with no response from the owner? Example, difficulty/terrain both 1.5, placed 20 feet up in a tree?

What's your response when someone asks specific questions on how to find a cache you've found and you don't know what the owner wants?

Just a few examples. I guess what I'm trying to say is there is a lot of info on how to be a successful cacher, little on how to be a good cacher.

I am a newbie, and I am VERY addicted to this sport! What I enjoy about this sport, is that I can spend as much, or as little time with it as I like. I live in a major metropolitan area. I can "run out" at lunch time for a quick park-n-grab, or I can schedule a few hours for a long hike in the woods. Cool!

What frustrates me is that there are three caches that I have looked for more than once, and I just cannot "see" them. I know it is me, and how I am studying the area, but it is still frustrating. I spent almost an hour looking for one, and then I re-looked at the clues. I had been looking on the ground, and this one is at eye-level!!! Ouch!

Another thing that frustrates me are caches that have me go on private property. Was permission REALLY granted? There is one cache close to me that I've put on ignore, just because I am so uncomfortable with where it is placed. Argh!

What frustrates me is that there are three caches that I have looked for more than once, and I just cannot "see" them. I know it is me, and how I am studying the area, but it is still frustrating. I spent almost an hour looking for one, and then I re-looked at the clues. I had been looking on the ground, and this one is at eye-level!!! Ouch!

Tell me about it!! There is a cache hidden in a park just two blocks away from my house that I've looked for three times without success, and I know it's there because I keep checking the log for it and others have found it. The first time I went to look (which was my first day ever caching) I was way off the mark along a muddy river bank.

As soon as I stepped on the mud, my feet slipped out from under me, and down I went. But I didn't just go down...oh no...I had to try to regain my balance and break my fall, and that just made it worse. My son, who was standing about three feet behind me, said my arms and legs were going every which way. When I hit the ground, I was covered in pasty mud on my back from my shoulders, all the way down onto my legs, and my son was laughing so hard I thought he was going to wet himself.

I was forced to walk out from the tree covered river bank past a crowd of people watching a baseball game, all covered in mud. With as much dignity as I could muster, I went back to my SUV, found some old newspaper to sit on so I didn't soil my interior, and drove the two blocks back home so I could change before heading out again. Thank goodness I was that close to home. If not, I'd have been forced to either suffer with muddy clothes the rest of the day, or give up the ghost and try again another day.

I've been back two more times, and STILL haven't found it. Next time I head out, where do you think I'm headed first?? That's right: the cache from Hell!!

I agree that a description/photo of a container would be beneficial. There has to be a way to put that option in there, where if you don't want to see it you don't. If you cache with young kids sometimes, like I do, the thrill of the search and "satisfaction" of finding it by yourself sans hints insn't appealing.

Also, I agree about the swag complaint. Is it really unreasonable to think that people who spend hundreds of dollars on gps equipment and hiking gear along with countless hours researching and hunting could spend a couple extra bucks on some nice trinkets to leave behind for small hunters whose main thrill is treasure? Beer bottle caps, pennies, rocks picked up on the trail, old golf balls, broken/dirty toys, paper "I found your cache" cards and etc., should not count as swag.

Thanks for a place to let me vent.

Edited by Quizes

For us it was doing a lot of unnecessary bushwacking. We needed to be more patient and follow the path past the cache in order to find the best way in. Also, when we got to the cache we would start the dance of the drunken bumble bee instead of just getting close and letting our "geosense' kick in. May the "force" be with you. :bad:

My son and I started almost exactly one month ago.

First thing is what GPS unit to buy, then how to use it. We found out quickly that typing the coordinates in was time consuming and error prone. It is amazing how one number can throw you off so far!

Second - what the heck are we looking for? We didn't understand that the story (sometimes) pretty much tells what the cache will be. We didn't understand the cache size thing so our first cache we tried to find was a micro in a hollowed out Sweet Gum Ball, hanging 6 feet in the air on a Cedar Tree branch! We never thought to look up in the tree! (this was our very first cache to find) I wish we would have known to try to find the regular to large size containers when first starting out

Third - We were amazed at how nice and helpful most geocachers are. I wish someone or some prominent post would have told us that it is ok to use the email thing to ask for help. Once we did that, we were amazed at how much help people wanted to be.

Fourth - Find a local geocacher group and attend their meetings. Great time to get some great advice and meet some of the people you are reading about in the logs. Single best thing you can do.

The Pony and I are new to geocaching. When we got a GPS at Christmas we spent hours over the holiday season getting our very own geocaching tutorials from my cousin who is an experienced geocacher. Those tutorials helped us much more than reading the Getting Started FAQ's. The FAQ's made more sense after our first find.

Our first find was very straightforward and I feel had a lot to do with the experienced coaching. Our second attempt was a multi. We tried to find stage one twice. We had no idea what a micro or nano looked like so we were clueless and had only a general idea about size and probable containers. Luckily, we attended a caching event in our area after that first unsuccessful attempt on the multi. The cachers in attendance were very friendly, funny and helpful: they pulled out examples of micros and showed us nanos. Some basic pictures of 'stock' containers would have been useful to this newcomer.

The first thing we did when we came home from the event was to scoot straight out to try and find that cache. Having seen a nano that morning the clues made sense. I felt like Sherlock Holmes when I found it. The third stage (an ammo can) is buried under 3 feet of snow, so we'll have to go looking when the snow melts.

In my opinion the best resource for any new geocacher is an experienced geocacher ... maybe a sponsorship program? It might reduce the disappointment or frustrations of the newcomers.

I've had a surprisingly pleasant time as a geocacher for the past few months, but I'm not without complaints.

The thing that annoys me most, my number one pet peeve, is a micro cache. Of the ones I've tried, at least 80% weren't there anymore, missing logs, or so nondescript I couldn't even be sure I'd found it. Because of this I've vowed to ignore all micros until the weather is warmer, and even then only once in a while.

My frustration is often times not finding the caches. Some of these are supposedly easy caches. I have never really cached with anyone else so everything I learned was from the internet or school of hard knocks.

I have been thinking of hiding a series of UrbanGEO 101. This series would have text book urban hides along with pictures of the caches in their location. I know that it sounds boring to the old hats but I am sure it would help many new cachers. It would be a nice series to send new people on. You could tell someone what they are looking for but often times pictures tell the whole story. Then people will also have the experience of finding these types of hides. Many people try to find their first cache and its is almost certainly a micro close to home. When they are unsuccessful they do not write a DNF they just disappear.

Micro hides were my nemesis when I started. Now I find them entertaining for the most part. Some people have a real gift for making camo. I have made a few caches with fun camo lately, many people get a kick out of them.

I think the most frustating thing for me is when people tell me that my cache is off when they go out and look for it. I know the gps is a tool to find the coordinates but I think a lot of the people want to go out and not have to search for the actual cache. They want the device to lead them right to it and then when it is too easy they complain that they found it in two seconds. It is really frustrating finding a balance.

What gives you the most pain or frustration when first starting? ;)

and/or

What you would like to know about that you have difficulty with now? :(

I agree with the flag thing. Cache owners that don't tend to thier caches after 5 or 6 DNFs in a row and don't go and check on them and report back, should have the listing deleted!! I know where I am, there are alot of caches out there and good spots for caches taken up by owners that don't tend to thier caches.

One of my first caches when I was still trying to learn how to work the GPS. Recent logs said stuff like "Nice, easy find. TFTC" and "Walked right up to it" but I was forty minutes into hunting in the rain, scratched up by blackberries, and shivering.

Being so excited at my first shot at an FTF and then coming up completely empty on a micro in the woods while getting my work clothes filthy from crawling around on my knees reaching under stumps. Maybe not frustrating so much as dispiriting at the time.

Trying to keep my kids' enthusiasm up after 45 minutes of fruitless hunting but being too vain to pack it in ("just five more minutes, then we'll call off the hunt." <five minute later> "let me just check over here, ok?"). Nobody to blame but myself, and I'm slowly learning my lesson.

Not taking the time to read/print the cache description before heading out to try and find the cache: in other words, not knowing if it's a micro or a regular, not having the hint to fall back on, etc. Since then have learned how to get a bunch of this info onto my handheld, but definitely was causing myself unneeded frustration for awhile.

All-in-all though the frustrations seem like all part of the learning experience and fun. Makes the "clean" finds that much sweeter.

rtreit

My biggest frustration when I started out was the difficulty rating. It may be a 2 for the old hands, but for someone who's just getting into the game, it's more like a 4, especially if you haven't seen the type of container before.

My biggest frustration now is the little bitty micros that go up "because there weren't any other caches around." I love a good cache, be it micro or otherwise, but some of the most interesting places get taken up by hiders that just slap a hide-a-key on a lamp pole (in the middle of a field that could support an ammo can), then don't even maintain it. We've got caches that have been disabled for 2 or 3 months out here, but not archived.

I'd love to do a historical series, but a lot of the historical sites are taken up by these slap-a-cache hides. Most say only a basic size. No other info about the site, no idea why this place is special, just another urban micro.

My other frustration, both as a new and more experienced cacher, is absolutely useless hints. If you don't have a hint, don't put anything in the box. I hate looking around for a cache for 45 minutes, then finally resorting to reading the hint and it's something like "This cache is so easy, even a moron could park and grab it, no hint needed." :)

I don't know how much good these will do for a tutorial, but there's my $.02. :(

The hardest thing for me is trying to figure out all the extra programs available. I chose my GPS specifically because I wanted to cache paperless without dealing with an iPod or palm so I haven't had to figure out Cachemate or others. I am, however, still entering my caches one by one and really need to figure out Pocket Queries and GSAK.

I've gotten really frustrated looking for micros. Part of it is that everytime I'm looking for a micro it's really cold out & I'm freezing after 20 minutes. I also had no idea what they look like or that they could be somewhere other than the ground. LOL For now I'm just focusing on the bigger caches.

Sarah

:D Poor maintenance or no maintenance of caches by owners!

That is mine as well. We have several in my area that at one time were really tough finds. Now they're tough just because the owner never checks or maintains his caches.

And as AngelWolf93 said, useless clues. If you don't have a clue, then don't put anything in the box.

Thank you for asking for our opinion. Most of the time, the opinion of the newby's is not solicited. I get frustrated at myself the most. We have to remember this is just a GAME for FUN!!!! Remeber......a game for fun!

One thing that frustrates me in my short time as an addicted cacher, is the owners of geocoins or travel bugs not keeping up with their property. I have been to a few caches where the item is missing and has been reported on the logs of the cache and travel item, but the owner of the cache and/or travel item has not taken the item out of the inventory. I fell for this a few times and went specifically looking for the item, only to be disappointed to find it missing. Once I read the logs, I found that it was reproted missing before. Is there a way to have the owners keep up on this?

Thank you again. Cache on!!

as a newbie what frustrates me the most is people who dont monitor their caches.

the closest cache to my home is in a little park with all DNF's and a note to owner on the first page, including my own DNF. it seems like months since a find was logged and no response from the owner.

I did a mystery cache where you have to answer questions that have the answers on a sign at the coords then e-mail the owner. after 3 weeks with no response i finally logged it a find.

and finally my first FTF was a planned out operation to a park that was a 20 mile drive (6.5 as the crow flies). I found the cache left by a local BSA troop. was a good hide in a park with great hiking and the ammo box had tons of swag. i logged the FTF and now a couple weeks later there is no activity other than my log on that page. just venting cuz i got MY fun out of these hides as for the easy LPC and such that folks complain about, my first was a surprise but i found a few since and now when i get near GZ and see a pole its where i look first. but they help tune your geo instinks and can be good practice

I am glad you asked! I have not had much experience yet, and now am waiting for better weather. I think I have the technology figured out OK, but after I get to the general area, within about 10 ft or so, I run out of strategies for searching for the actual cache. So far, I have found only 2 and both were in places where there were not many places to look after I got to the location.

The ones that I have not been able to find have been in wooded park areas. There have been about 6 of those. I need to know what to try next.

I really love doing this sport and hope to continue and to bring others - so far I don't feel like I can progress.

I am glad you asked! I have not had much experience yet, and now am waiting for better weather. I think I have the technology figured out OK, but after I get to the general area, within about 10 ft or so, I run out of strategies for searching for the actual cache. So far, I have found only 2 and both were in places where there were not many places to look after I got to the location.

The ones that I have not been able to find have been in wooded park areas. There have been about 6 of those. I need to know what to try next.

I really love doing this sport and hope to continue and to bring others - so far I don't feel like I can progress.

Try some of the videos on YouTube, read the logs, and keep Looking.