Upload waypoints to Magellan

khyro

Hello,

I recently bought a new laptop which has Vista on it and the software that I previously used on my old laptop (Windows XP) for geocaching and uploading waypoints no longer works.

Can anyone recommend how I upload the waypoints I saved from geocaching.com to my magellan eXplorist GPS now?

Thankyou,

K

I'm having the same problem and I'm still working on it.

My computer has an SD card reader built in, so my temporary solution is to take the card out of the the 500, put it in the card reader and then use Mapsend lite to transfer the downloaded PQ's. If you want to try this I can give you more specific step by step directions. if your computer doesn't have a built in reader you can get one at Radioshack or Best Buy or any store like that.

some other things to consider:

Mapsend Lite is a free download from the magellan website.

You should be able to do it with GSAK too but I haven't been able to do it.

I tried downloading Vista drivers for the 500 from the magellan website but my computer can't find the downloaded drivers.

Did I mention I hate Vista and wish I'd bought a mac?

Try Vantagae point. It's magellan new pc software. It works for the explorist series. I'm pretty sure it works with vista.

Worth a try, but if the computer won't recognize the gps unit, it doesn't matter what software you're using. Still, you could probably use the SD card reader method with VP.

I think vantage point includes the drivers for the eXplorist and Triton line.

Try Vantagae point. It's magellan new pc software. It works for the explorist series. I'm pretty sure it works with vista.

Worth a try, but if the computer won't recognize the gps unit, it doesn't matter what software you're using. Still, you could probably use the SD card reader method with VP.

Ah... that could make a difference! I'll post after I try it. Thanks!

Did you have any success with Vantage Point?

Thanks

Did you have any success with Vantage Point?

Thanks

I installed the driver update and then Vantage Point which successfully recognized my GPS. I was then able to import a geocaching *.loc file into Vantage Point and export it into a *.gs file and then save it on my GPS. :wub: Finally, I can go geocaching again.

I installed the driver update and then Vantage Point which successfully recognized my GPS. I was then able to import a geocaching *.loc file into Vantage Point and export it into a *.gs file and then save it on my GPS. :wub: Finally, I can go geocaching again.

Sorry if I'm missing something... but if the whole point was to obtain a .gs, wouldn't it be easier to just use GSAK?

Sorry if I'm missing something... but if the whole point was to obtain a .gs, wouldn't it be easier to just use GSAK?

For me, the whole point was to get my GPS working with Vista. I shouldn't have added in that extra info.

Plus I'm new at this and don't know what GSAK is.

Anyway, I'm up and working now.