Inactive Member

jeffbouldin

Well I've learned this one the hard way! We recently moved from Canada to Australia and our kids who all have GC accounts had not logged a cache for a long time, that's not to say they weren't caching. We did a lot of traveling and have had lots of other things to deal with in the process. I thought if I kept my account up to date, they could use it to remember the caches and log at a later date. WRONG!!!! The kids have started to want to log again and we found that their profiles went inactive in the meantime. For my two boys, I was able to remember their passwords to change their location and contact emails but for my daughter no such luck!

I am in communication with Groundspeak on this one as she has 52 finds and her own pathtag but we can no longer log her into her account because we don't have the password AND of course our email has changed!

So what to do? She can't create a new account under the same name even though it's hers and she has her own pathtag with her name on it, nor can she log any new caches or change her location.

I know it's my fault for forgetting the password but there must be some way out of this?

My boys didn't log a cache for 6-7 months. I think it is automatic and not part of the reviewers' job.

Tens of thousands of people haven't logged in in 6-7 months. I think what the OP is talking about is an actual status of "inactive member" in the profile; in the same spot you'd normally see "premium member", charter member" or just "member". This is rather rare to see, and I'm of the opinion a Groundspeak lackey has to manually mark the account as inactive. Either by request of the account owner, or an obvious situation like their cache is muggled and missing, and they haven't logged in since 2002. :D

Do you mean "invalidated" rather than inactive? If so, that can happen if your e-mail provider bounces messages sent by Groundspeak, or if you shut down the e-mail address you registered with the site. There is a batch process that runs periodically to do this.

You can easily revalidate your invalidated account. See this article for changing your e-mail address, and this article for requesting a validation code.

Of course, if you've forgotten the account password and can't have it sent to your e-mail because the e-mail account no longer exists, you'll need to work that problem out manually with Groundspeak.

Do you mean "invalidated" rather than inactive? If so, that can happen if your e-mail provider bounces messages sent by Groundspeak, or if you shut down the e-mail address you registered with the site. There is a batch process that runs periodically to do this.

You can easily revalidate your invalidated account. See this article for changing your e-mail address, and this article for requesting a validation code.

Of course, if you've forgotten the account password and can't have it sent to your e-mail because the e-mail account no longer exists, you'll need to work that problem out manually with Groundspeak.

You'll see boatloads of profiles with a status of "Not validated member", even on newer accounts. Myself, and obviously the OP, have seen a status of "inactive member", which is probably such a rarely used function, that even the great Keystone isn't familar with it. Either way, yes, I believe a little blue pill will take care of that. :)

And just because a particular account has not been logged into in a long time, do not think that perhaps that person doesn't have several other accoutns which he uses much more frequently.

I know cachers who after hitting 1000 caches, start a new account and do everything new with that one, leaving the old one alone...then 2000 (well the next 1000), then 3000 (well you get the picture).

Edited by trainlove

Yes, that's what i meant and what I thought the OP meant.

I am happy to report that Groundspeak was able to fix my daughter's account.

And just because a particular account has not been logged into in a long time, do not think that perhaps that person doesn't have several other accoutns which he uses much more frequently.

I know cachers who after hitting 1000 caches, start a new account and do everything new with that one, leaving the old one alone...then 2000 (well the next 1000), then 3000 (well you get the picture).

Why would anyone do that?