Hello from yet another newbie

smallblockfuelie

howdy, all. Another new geocacher here from the Ventura, CA area. I've been considering geocaching for several years and finally decided to take the plunge. It should be good family time for the wife, three girls (2, 4, and 12) and myself. I looked today and there are several within a few miles of my house. Bonus!

This weekend I ordered a GARMIN GPSMAP 60 CSX bundle, 3 geocoins and a travel bug to get us started. This looks like it can be a lot of fun and I look forward to introducing the family to this. Undoubtedly I will have questions along the way.

Anyway, thanks for the site and the wealth of knowledge!

howdy, all. Another new geocacher here from the Ventura, CA area. I've been considering geocaching for several years and finally decided to take the plunge. It should be good family time for the wife, three girls (2, 4, and 12) and myself. I looked today and there are several within a few miles of my house. Bonus!

This weekend I ordered a GARMIN GPSMAP 60 CSX bundle, 3 geocoins and a travel bug to get us started. This looks like it can be a lot of fun and I look forward to introducing the family to this. Undoubtedly I will have questions along the way.

Anyway, thanks for the site and the wealth of knowledge!

Congrats.

I take a few of my girls out and they enjoy it. I have 5 soon to be 6 girls and 1 boy. I only have a few girls that want to go with me on a regular basis, but we have a great time. Don't force your girls to go but take the ones that want to go. It is a great family activity.

Welcome

I'd suggest starting off on larger cache sizes at first. Better chance of finding the cache and fun swag for the kids.

WatchDog beat me to it. I was going to suggest the exact same thing. Especially if you're going to be taking your kids along. If you concentrate on larger caches (ammo boxes, coffee cans, etc.) you're more likely to find kid friendly caches with lots of swag. My experience has taught me that my son gets frustrated and bored too quickly if all we're finding are micros. Also, be sure to take your camera along. There's no better smile than that of a caching kid who just scored some cool swag.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting!!

We found our first geocache tonight! It was close to home and I was familiar with the area and figured we might be able to find it with out the GPS. It was a micro. We signed, dated it, and returned it back to it's hiding spot. Very cool!

My 12 year old daughter was REALLY excited about it and can't wait to do it again. I'm tickled to have found something that interests here enough to put down the DS for awhile.

P2020008.jpg

We found our first geocache tonight! It was close to home and I was familiar with the area and figured we might be able to find it with out the GPS. It was a micro. We signed, dated it, and returned it back to it's hiding spot. Very cool!

My 12 year old daughter was REALLY excited about it and can't wait to do it again. I'm tickled to have found something that interests here enough to put down the DS for awhile.

P2020008.jpg

Better call 911, you are hooked.