What's your weirdest experience while caching?

careygang

Not recently - about 4 years ago the other half and I were out on an FTF mission at about 3 in the morning.. we had walked about 2 miles to the cache location, and faild to find it. We were walking back when a truck approached us (it was a private road so we certainly weren't expecting anyone else to be about.)

The truck stopped and questionned us as to why we were out there at that time of night, and as we had our GPSs glowing in our hands, we told him.

He offered us a lift back to the carpark, and my ex enthusiastically thanked him and told me to hop up into the cab.

As I hopped up - I saw it.... glistening in the light... a rifle...

I was petrified, but the driver stayed good to his word and dropped us at the car park.

Later I asked the ex why the hell he had made me get into a cab with a guy with a rifle... he said - I'd rather be sat next to a guy with a rifle than have him take aim at us from a distance....

Eeeek - not an experience I'd like to repeat.

a few er "dog walkers" skulking / following us around a local cache but more recently being told at a surplus store that our selection of an ammo can was an excellent choice as "with that size you can still happily stash a 9mm safely in a field" :) ... not sure who thought the other was the weirder though when I replied we were actually probably hiding some tat and a few gonks :)

Edited by adsandco

We had to retreat from retrieving a cache in Edinburgh (Not Edinburghs Royal Mile - GCKTYP) because it was being guarded by a very drunk 'jakey' who kept screaming at us "there is water under the ground, water under the ground!". This was at about 10am.

Not scary, just weird. :):):laughing:

Not recently - about 4 years ago the other half and I were out on an FTF mission at about 3 in the morning.. we had walked about 2 miles to the cache location, and faild to find it. We were walking back when a truck approached us (it was a private road so we certainly weren't expecting anyone else to be about.)

The truck stopped and questionned us as to why we were out there at that time of night, and as we had our GPSs glowing in our hands, we told him.

He offered us a lift back to the carpark, and my ex enthusiastically thanked him and told me to hop up into the cab.

I was petrified, but the driver stayed good to his word and dropped us at the car park.

Later I asked the ex why the hell he had made me get into a cab with a guy with a rifle... he said - I'd rather be sat next to a guy with a rifle than have him take aim at us from a distance....

I thought the government took away all of the guns in your country

I thought the government took away all of the guns in your country

Only hand guns, except those using black powder. Rifles are still permitted, if you have a firearms certificate.

Edited by Pharisee

It was full night, and I was doing a multi; I was in the graveyard, looking at Agatha Christie's grave, and noting down the necessary info. The sky was clear, there was a half moon. It was quiet - quiet as the grave.

Suddenly, a voice spoke from behind me; it was the vicar, asking me if everything was OK.

"Yes," I lied, not wishing to tell him about the unpleasnt accident that he nearly caused.

I was looking for a cache on one of the East Devon Commons once when a load of people dressed as characters from Lord of the Rings came crashing out of the bushes. Thankfully they ignored me. I presume that they were members of a fantasy enactment group but maybe they were aliens!

I forgot about those types. There was once a full-on medieval battle in the woods where we were caching and another time there were 5 people doing some sort of role playing game that involved skimpy outfits and lots of string. Not sure who's odder, them, or us looking for Tupperware.

I've just realised, we had a rather odd experience last weekend.

Just as we parked up, we noticed the people next to us were getting guitars and amps out of their boot. We guessed that they were using the church hall nearby.

Only, as we went to grab a cache (which was in a Rhododendron) we noticed that they were in fact in the woods playing.

In the middle of the woods.

With battery-powered Amps and electric guitars.

They were also blinking awful.

We got the cache anyway. I think they were wondering why 2 adults and 2 kids were hiding in a bush but then again, I still think they had the upper hand in the weirdness stakes.

And to think I paid good money for the hit!!!!!

:(

The other week in Gloucester Lorraine and I were sitting on the docks having our lunch being talked to by a very strange chap - we are still not entirely sure whether he was talking to us or not !

We also got asked if we needed any help by the local farmer whilst doing the Philosophers stone series (we were trying to work out which way the footpath went). Not strange in itself, except he was wearing Purple velour trousers, wellies and a tweed jacked !

Lins

The other week in Gloucester Lorraine and I were sitting on the docks having our lunch being talked to by a very strange chap - we are still not entirely sure whether he was talking to us or not !

We also got asked if we needed any help by the local farmer whilst doing the Philosophers stone series (we were trying to work out which way the footpath went). Not strange in itself, except he was wearing Purple velour trousers, wellies and a tweed jacked !

Lins

Sure he was a Farmer?

From the clothes he sounds like an Army Officer, probably Cavalry! :(

<p><font size="3"> Before the advent of geocaching in he UK ... and the banning of blood sports...this story relates to our then interest in the sport of  letterboxing.</font>

</p>

<p><font size="3"> Not a single soul had we seen all day, having just finishing our lunch, sitting on a boundary hedge of a remote ruined farmstead high up in the hills of Exmoor, on a perfectly calm and peaceful day. taking in the beauty of the moorland ....<strong>when suddenly all hell let loose!</strong>...                                                                                                     From literally nowhere...a highly charged Stag deer, clearly in great distress was bearing down on us at full speed!.....had we not taken avoiding action we would almost certainly have been bowled over .... the Stag missing us by inches... I still recall the rush of air past us as it went crashing through the heather and gorse beyond in full flight! ....if that wasn't surreal enough...after dusting ourself's down, a small group of hounds appeared followed some minutes later by the Master of the Hunt in a state of some embarrassment as he had lost his quarry ....and had we seen it?.... not that we told him you understand.... but no fooling the hounds as they picked up on the scent .         The rest of the hound pack were called up ,and with (<em>I kid you not</em>) some 200 horses...... with a blast on the post horn they were off on the chase! .... within seconds we were again left in complete peace and solitude. This just had to be our most surreal....and scariest moment out on the hills.</font>

</p>

<p><font size="3"> Later in the day we were made aware of the out come of the hunt ...I'll spare you the details!</font>

</p>

Heres the gist of it with the HTML removed

Before the advent of geocaching in he UK ... and the banning of blood sports...this story relates to our then interest in the sport of letterboxing.

Not a single soul had we seen all day, having just finishing our lunch, sitting on a boundary hedge of a remote ruined farmstead high up

in the hills of Exmoor, on a perfectly calm and peaceful day. taking in the beauty of the moorland ....when suddenly all hell let

loose!...

From literally nowhere...a highly charged Stag deer, clearly in great distress was bearing down on us at full speed!.....had we not taken avoiding action we

would almost certainly have been bowled over .... the Stag missing us by inches... I still recall the rush of air past us as it went crashing through the

heather and gorse beyond in full flight! ....if that wasn't surreal enough...after dusting ourself's down, a small group of hounds appeared followed some

minutes later by the Master of the Hunt in a state of some embarrassment as he had lost his quarry ....and had we seen it?.... not that we told him you

understand.... but no fooling the hounds as they picked up on the scent . The rest of the hound pack were

called up ,and with (<em>I kid you not</em>) some 200 horses...... with a blast on the post horn they were off on the chase! .... within seconds we were

again left in complete peace and solitude. This just had to be our most surreal....and scariest moment out on the hills.

Later in the day we were made aware of the out come of the hunt ...I'll spare you the details!

I was setting a cache at a very remote and lonely bus stop one misty night in the dark, when from nowhere out of the mist appeared this huge red cigar shaped object. It had two rows of lights down each side and flashing orange ones on one side.

Behind some of the lights I could make out weird shapes, a bit like heads. I was well scared, and it made a growling noise. The only thing I've ever heard that is similar is a lorry engine, but this was no lorry.

I quickly dived back into the bus shelter before any of the creatures inside spotted me and waited till it had gone. As it went away I heard something like, 'youeardo'.

I wonder if it was a UFO?