Zombie story/puzzle cache

Rbotguy

I am working on a puzzle/multi cache that involves pieces of a handwritten journal at each cache location with puzzles that lead to the next location. The journals will follow the story of an 1850's scientist who has run afoul of a horde of zombies. I am anticipating the story will be about as scary/violent as the "Mummy" or "Indiana Jones" movies. I plan to put a note on the web page to such effect, and make the cache members only. I know geocaching is a family sport, so I thought that I would seek the thoughts/advice of the community.

Is a PG-13 story over the top?

I am working on a puzzle/multi cache that involves pieces of a handwritten journal at each cache location with puzzles that lead to the next location. The journals will follow the story of an 1850's scientist who has run afoul of a horde of zombies. I am anticipating the story will be about as scary/violent as the "Mummy" or "Indiana Jones" movies. I plan to put a note on the web page to such effect, and make the cache members only. I know geocaching is a family sport, so I thought that I would seek the thoughts/advice of the community.

Is a PG-13 story over the top?

I say go for it. I'm currently making a travel bug that has a real human finger bone inbeded in clear epoxy - so I may not be the best to judge the family friendly aspect. Also, I've got extra 'parts' if you want to PM me we could work out a killer FTF prize.

I wouldn't make it a members only cache, but that's just my preference.

After you posted that I remembered that originally I had planned to make it members only to help protect all of the hand-made materials from less-than-honorable cachers. However, after further ruminations I decided to make it available for all, but make the initial clue tough enough to limit the field to those who were serious about puzzle-solving. I actually go into geocaching as an avenue for creating and distributing puzzle hunts like this, so I look forward to hearing from others who like such things.

I love zombie stories. I even had one published here.

Looks great!. I am going to postpone reading it until after I finish the story for this cache, because I tend to copy the style of the last thing I read, and I want to try to make this as original as possible. But it's definitely on my to-read list.

I co-own a cache that is a little bit out there (GC1H9V5, it features a disappearance and a murder).

That is a cool cache page! Exactly the type of thing I got into geocaching for. Such a pity that I'm so far away. I love all of the little details on the page.

I, for one, would LOVE to run on a cache series like that.

I was considering some puzzles that would mean multiple trips would probably be necessary (e.g. requiring research or finding out in between caches that additional equipment is required) but am reconsidering so that visitors could conceivably complete the series in one trip. That means that my list of required equipment may include things like an FM radio and a portable blacklight.

If anyone wants a sneak peek, here is the beginning draft for the web page.

I say go for it. I'm currently making a travel bug that has a real human finger bone inbeded in clear epoxy - so I may not be the best to judge the family friendly aspect. Also, I've got extra 'parts' if you want to PM me we could work out a killer FTF prize.

It is illegal in the US to posess human remains without proper paperwork. Pretty sure making a travel bug out of a human part would be illegal, and not in a geocaching kind of way.

What a cool idea. My two cents? Sounds like a lot of fun + you should go for it!

I cache with my family sometimes, and with my friend other times. When the family heads out, we make sure we choose caches that will appeal to & be appropriate for our kids...that's our job as responsible parents. When my friend and I go out, the sky's the limit.

Look forward to following your progress!

It is illegal in the US to posess human remains without proper paperwork. Pretty sure making a travel bug out of a human part would be illegal, and not in a geocaching kind of way.

LMAO - was waiting for that kind of response - BTW. It is very legal. Here is the Link to where you can buy your own bones. Bone Room Read the sites FAQ if you are interested on the legality of it

I would love to make a zombie/survival cache here in the Austin area!!! I gotta figure out some ideas on how to do it?

Start quoting from a zombie survival guide (can find 'em online) I hid a miniture shoe with a log in it at a graveyard and called it In Case of Zombies, it gives the best advice.

As for the topic, I think it's awsome, but I'm no judge of appropriate either... I'd have used a real human finger for a TB, forget the clear epoxy. :laughing: With a name like Unkle Fester, what did you expect?

Unkle Fester,

Commander of the Zombie Army

I approve of this topic

LMAO - was waiting for that kind of response - BTW. It is very legal. Here is the Link to where you can buy your own bones. Bone Room Read the sites FAQ if you are interested on the legality of it

It is illegal to transport a dead body across state lines without the proper permitting... if they catch you.

Don't ask...