PN-40 news

jbrox

The PN-40 does look an interesting GPSr and a possible replacement for my aging eXplorist 600.

It does sound from elsewhere in these forums that the PN-40 is USA based only.

Is that just out of the box? i.e. are there user downloads that can give the same ability to a Rest Of World user?

Any news on an International PN-40 :)

EDIT: Can they be set to metric measurements?

Edited by kevenh

The PN-40 does look an interesting GPSr and a possible replacement for my aging eXplorist 600.

A GPS device can work anywhere on or over the planet. What you're hearing about is the maps & aerial imagery that DeLorme makes available. They're a very small company, based in the US, so their primary focus is the US. There may be a world basemap with limited data, but I don't know. But you can still load up waypoints for anyplace on the planet, get your current location, and range/distance to that waypoint.

Is that just out of the box? i.e. are there user downloads that can give the same ability to a Rest Of World user?

Any news on an International PN-40 :D

An "international" PN-40 would be identical to a "US-only" PN-40 aside from the maps you, the user, load into it.

Probably, there are lots of people in the US who like metric. The manual indicates that you can change units of measurement, but doesn't say what the options are.

A GPS device can work anywhere on or over the planet. What you're hearing about is the maps & aerial imagery that DeLorme makes available. They're a very small company, based in the US, so their primary focus is the US. There may be a world basemap with limited data, but I don't know. But you can still load up waypoints for anyplace on the planet, get your current location, and range/distance to that waypoint.

Any news on an International PN-40 :D

An "international" PN-40 would be identical to a "US-only" PN-40 aside from the maps you, the user, load into it.

Probably, there are lots of people in the US who like metric. The manual indicates that you can change units of measurement, but doesn't say what the options are.

Had a PN-40 since right after they came out. Got mine on Amazon when they had them for $289.99! They are also going to be able to use the "Send to GPS" button on Geocaching.com soon. DeLorme is also working on a widget called Cache Register which will be able to load GPX files directly into the GPSr without going through their TOPO7 software which is th only way to load them now. All in all I feel it is a great product and will be even better with all the enhancements coming down the pike soon!

You should go over to the DeLorme.com website and read through the forums for more info on these products. Some people have been having some issues, so be warned. I have had no problems with mine though.