Gmail Throttling Emails?

sawblade5

I am having this problem right now as my Pocket Queries are being ran and my caches are being found. But I only get like 1 email from about 7-8 others that I should be getting. I am on Gmail so I am wondering if they had suddenly started throttling or blocking most emails from Geocaching.com or are your guys email servers are acting up. I am hoping gmail hasn't decided to start throttling the emails because I don't have anywhere else to go to get PQ's to work right.

Is anyone else in Gmail or Outside Gmail having problems?

Hmmmm. Maybe my topic "validation codes" is really related to yours. I, too, use gmail and suddenly started have difficulties this afternoon. I tried changing my e-mail address away from gmail and then back and now can't get the validation code and my account can't be validated. Thus, I can't send or receive e-mail.

This doesn't help you but it lets me take a different look at my problem while letting you know your not alone in your problem.

I suspect it is something on Gecaching dot com's e-mail side. I ran 3 pocket queries several hours ago. The queries ran, but I have received nothing back from them. I am using AOL's email, so it is not just on GMAIL...

I'm using msn and having the same problem. I guess I made another thread about it as well. I'm wondering if you try your "my find" query and see if that comes threw. That's been the only PQ, I've gotten to run and receive. I seem to be getting all the other e-mail but just not my PQ one's. The PQ's have ran too.

Can some one from Groundspeak look into this?

I am having similar problems. I ran 2 PQs for my Sunday caching trip last evening at 6:15pm -- it is now 4:22am and I haven't received them. My Sunday plans have now switched to Plan B -- my caching buddy and I cannot go to the destination I had been planning for the last 2 weeks (now that I am off pager duty) but instead must go back to the area where I was caching on Saturday since that's the only data I have available at this time. :laughing:

My 2 PQs show they ran but I have not received the data in my Gmail account. I am receiving other email, including a few messages from GC.com for caches on my watch list. Apparently some of the other caching messages are coming through -- though perhaps not all since the number of messages seems sparse -- PQs are not coming at all.

Well thanks a lot Groundspeak. :laughing: Not getting my PQs totally trashes my geocaching plans for Sunday. :huh:

Good reason for an offline database.

An offline database of geocaches I've never received in a previous PQ? Yeah, that won't work. This is new territory I'm caching in. Maybe I could have run a PQ a couple days earlier, but how was I to know there would be a email blockade the day before I go out?

Since last night we have not been getting emails for activity on our own caches or those on our watchlist, no copies of email we sent through the website, and we ran a "My Finds" query that did not come through either.

I figured that the email server got backed up or something and that the email would be waiting for me this morning, but no such luck.

Since others are also having similar problems, I feel better that it is not something I did. Has Groundspeak posted somewhere that they are looking into this? I don't see anything from them on either of the threads I looked at.

Well thanks a lot Groundspeak. :laughing: Not getting my PQs totally trashes my geocaching plans for Sunday. :huh:

An offline database of geocaches I've never received in a previous PQ? Yeah, that won't work. This is new territory I'm caching in. Maybe I could have run a PQ a couple days earlier, but how was I to know there would be a email blockade the day before I go out?

I know it's frustrating. But you could uncheck the day of the week, submit the PQ and then follow these instructions on the search results page. Not perfect but will get you out and caching instead of arguing.

Waypoint Downloads

To download geocaches, check the box to the right of each listing you wish to download. When you're done, click the download button to the right.

In your case an offline DB might not help. I maintain an offline DB of the caches within 150 km of my house. That represents 90% of my caching. So if there is a block like today (and they happen more often than you might think), I have data. Even if one or two caches have gone missing (typically there are 2 -3 caches archived weekly), I will still have a high degree of success. And less frustration than you are currently experiencing.

I hate to "me too", but... I thought my account or maybe Gmail was messed up, but I am glad to see that I am not the only one having the problem. With several people using different email account hosts, it definitely sounds like an issue on the Groundspeak site. I have not been caching in about 9 months and wanted to get out today.

I know a number of people hear have mentioned, in the past, that Groundspeak employees need their time off and I agree with that. However, staffing should be based on customer needs. I am surprised Groundspeak hasn't responded to this yet. You would think someone should be on call to monitor for things like this. After all, the weekend is probably the site's busiest time.

I know it's frustrating. But you could uncheck the day of the week, submit the PQ and then follow these instructions on the search results page. Not perfect but will get you out and caching instead of arguing.

Waypoint Downloads

To download geocaches, check the box to the right of each listing you wish to download. When you're done, click the download button to the right.

but we pay a fee to use PQ's. its not unreasonable to expect the product we pay for

Just out of curiosity I ran another PQ at 8:30 this morning and the system says it ran at 8:35. So while we aren't receiving our PQs, the system is still accepting more PQs. Once everything gets up and running again there's going to be one hell of a back log. Hope the run on the FIFO (first in, first out) basis.

I've learned ... Never leave running my PQ until the last day. Something always goes wrong if I really need that PQ. (It's true in other areas of my life as well)

So I run a PQ a few days before I really want them to run to test drive my settings. And I keep the results as "just in case" backup. I also try my PQs when I really want them, so I can have the freshest data possible, but if they don't go through at least I have the backup set.

That is especially true when there are major events in the works that draw cachers from around the state or country.

Can some one from Groundspeak look into this?

At 10:20 on a Saturday night? Who do you think was working at that time?

I'm sorry people didn't get the queries or notices they needed/wanted, but if it was me I'd have planned ahead a little farther and ran any necessary PQs at least 5 days in advance so I'd at least have some data to plan with...then maybe update it the night before if needed.

It's not just Gmail. Roadrunner also never received them. I got one of 5 PQs scheduled to run yesterday (Saturday) GC.com says it generated at 6:55:18 pm. The ones I didn't receive were generated at 3:59 pm (3 of them) and the fourth one at 6:55:15 (just before the one I did get). It's odd that the one that I did get was the last of the 5 to be generated. Can't explain that.

Notice that the "problem" occurred during the afternoon.

Last time this happened, it turned out the email router at GC.com got "stuck". The PQ generator kept pumping out the emails but the router never sent them. Seems the message generator (notifications, etc.) uses the same router so everything is jammed up.

Running a PQ days in advance is a good planning practice, especially if it's to support a "special day".

Edited by Cache O'Plenty

As of right now I first noting the problems starting at around 5:00 PM my local time (Central Standard Time Zone UTC-6) which was about 20 hours ago. I was getting a few of my emails then but not all of them I did managed to run a Updater Query and get it in my box, Since then I only had 1 email from about 10 or so finds and my Geocoin Movement emails have not came in so I suspecting that as of that point I was losing around 95% of emails from Groundspeak.

I made the post here last night as a notice to let the staff know that something is wrong. If I could call Groundspeak directly about it to see what is going on I would, Emailing them would be a different story as I am unsure they would get the email as they could be having the same problem on their end and wouldn't get the email anyway.

As of right now I am confident that the emails are not lost but are being held up somehow. When the staff gets around to the problem I should get those emails. I know its hard being patient for a service that I am paying for and for some they didn't the get queries that they need on time. I am in the same boat with ya. I really want to update my statistics on my page with the My Finds PQ (Which I still hadn't got yet). I am hoping the staff take care of the problem real soon.

Well to all the people who are crying about not caching because of this problem Let me make a sugestion, Enter them in by hand, has everybody become that lazy!! also i bet that half of the people here remember having to get up off the couch to turn the TV station. All I'm saying if you people want to go caching you will go old school to do it.

And before anybody starts talking about "thats what we pay for ect, ect," And you think you are going to get a 20 to 35 yr old tech to be at work on Super Bowl Sunday. good luck Like said in other post. Plan ahead.

done with my rant have a good day.

Like said in other post. Plan ahead.

Planning ahead. That's called GSAK. :laughing:

But, it's always nice to see those PQ's come in when they're supposed to. I'm not getting them either in Gmail. And, from reading the other posts, it's not a Gmail problem, but GC.com problem.

Well to all the people who are crying about not caching because of this problem Let me make a sugestion, Enter them in by hand, has everybody become that lazy!! also i bet that half of the people here remember having to get up off the couch to turn the TV station. All I'm saying if you people want to go caching you will go old school to do it.

And before anybody starts talking about "thats what we pay for ect, ect," And you think you are going to get a 20 to 35 yr old tech to be at work on Super Bowl Sunday. good luck Like said in other post. Plan ahead.

Are you suggesting there are no 20 to 35 yr old's working today???? What dream world do you live in??

The point is that the weekends (including Super Bowl Weekend) are Groundspeaks busiest time. It would make good business sense to put someone on standby to monitor the operation. And btw, with today's technology he doesn't have to stay holed up in some cubicle at the office. He just needs to check things from home, or wherever, once in awhile. Fixing the current blockage is probably nothing more than a simple server reboot that could be done remotely. Assuming someone was checking in.

Are you suggesting there are no 20 to 35 yr old's working today???? What dream world do you live in??

The point is that the weekends (including Super Bowl Weekend) are Groundspeaks busiest time. It would make good business sense to put someone on standby to monitor the operation. And btw, with today's technology he doesn't have to stay holed up in some cubicle at the office. He just needs to check things from home, or wherever, once in awhile. Fixing the current blockage is probably nothing more than a simple server reboot that could be done remotely. Assuming someone was checking in.

Well in the past year i haven't seen any good business sense with all the bailouts but thats another story and your right there should be someone there or checking on things, heck thay might all be out caching,bet thay got there PQ's

Hmmmm. Maybe my topic "validation codes" is really related to yours. I, too, use gmail and suddenly started have difficulties this afternoon. I tried changing my e-mail address away from gmail and then back and now can't get the validation code and my account can't be validated. Thus, I can't send or receive e-mail.

This doesn't help you but it lets me take a different look at my problem while letting you know your not alone in your problem.

I made the same mistake now I can't validate my account. I have emailed contact@geocaching.com I hope they will be able to help me

:laughing:

Now forum reply notices are 90 minutes late.

Maybe it's because of the zillions of e-mails going out???

All outbound email from Groundspeak is sent through a central mail server. It was this server that was having issues, so all outbound email was affected.

:) Elias