Need help with my Magellan Triton

I am new to geocache, but have really enjoyed the idea and the few that I have found. I have a new GPS, a Magellan Triton, 200 I think. The coordinates that the gps unit shows don't match those for the web site and geocaches, I can be standing on a geocache and my gps will say that I am like 15 miles away.

I am wondering if my unit is on some other kind of map, magnetic vs true north, I have no idea.

I am fully frusterated and totaly handycapped with this.

Edited by Brook_&_Toby

Hi, I have a triton 400.

Make sure that your Triton is is the right datum mode. Do this...

Menu->View->Settings->Navagation

Make sure you have these settings...

Coorinate System: Lat/Long

Make sure that you select Lat/Long; after you do, you will get another screen for Accuracy. Select: Deg/Min.mmm.

Map Datum: WGS84

Quick semi-off topic question, but I just bought a used triton 200 and was wondering what is the difference between the 200 and the 300? I tried a 400 on clearance from wal-mart a few weeks ago, but it didn't work. I really wanted to give this series a look, so I bought this 200 on ebay for around $50. Magellan's website isn't really clear what the difference is between the 200 and 300, if any.

Quick semi-off topic question, but I just bought a used triton 200 and was wondering what is the difference between the 200 and the 300? I tried a 400 on clearance from wal-mart a few weeks ago, but it didn't work. I really wanted to give this series a look, so I bought this 200 on ebay for around $50. Magellan's website isn't really clear what the difference is between the 200 and 300, if any.

The 200, 300, 400, 500 are pretty much identical except for memory for maps. The 200 has none, the 300 has 10mb, the 400 has SD card ability, and the 500 has SD card and the addition of 3-axis compass and barometer.

The 200, 300, 400, 500 are pretty much identical except for memory for maps. The 200 has none, the 300 has 10mb, the 400 has SD card ability, and the 500 has SD card and the addition of 3-axis compass and barometer.

I'm a little confused by this. I have a Triton 200, but when I go to view-settings-memory-view usage, it says Memory Usage 56%. 23 MB Available, 53 MB Total. I've loaded up Topo maps from Nat Geo onto the unit (since deleted), so I don't get why the Magellan website says no memory available for map storage on the 200?

I get this from the magellal website about the T200...

Add detailed maps and applications to the available memory and further enhance your navigation experience. Plus, Triton is the first handheld GPS to offer compatibility with National Geographic TOPO! State series and Weekend Explorer 3D maps. These highly detailed nation-wide topographic maps based on USGS 1:24.000 series quads, offer seamless scalability, multi-layer overlays and much more.

So you can add maps, but I guess it's limited to the available memory.

I get this from the magellal website about the T200...

Add detailed maps and applications to the available memory and further enhance your navigation experience. Plus, Triton is the first handheld GPS to offer compatibility with National Geographic TOPO! State series and Weekend Explorer 3D maps. These highly detailed nation-wide topographic maps based on USGS 1:24.000 series quads, offer seamless scalability, multi-layer overlays and much more.

So you can add maps, but I guess it's limited to the available memory.

I just did a comparison on the 200 and 300 on the magellan website and it had 10mb on the 300 and a blank on the 200, so with buster71's info I guess I put out some bad info. Buster did the 200 come with the usb cable, or did you buy it on your own?

I had to buy the cable on my own. The original box clearly says "triton 200", but when I look in the unit's Settings-->About, it says Triton 200/300. Weird - I can't figure out the specs on Magellan's website compared to my unit. Now I don't even know if I have a 200 or 300! :)

I think I'm remembering better now. The only difference between the 200 and 300 was that the 300 came with the cable and that the 200 didn't. Then the 400 added SD card capability, and the 500 added a 3-axis compass and barometer.