To activate or not to activate?

TEAM HARTSOCK

So if I am starting to collect the coins and want to be able to use some at events as discoverable, should I only activate the ones that I am sure I don't want to trade? Should I keep other ones in reserve and just not activate them? Which is the better way to go, activate them all or just the ones I am sure about? The answer seems obivious to me, but I have been told different things by different gc collectors that I just am not sure what to do.

Its all up to you, we will all here say somthing diffrent

I myself like to activate them ALL. Im also one who dont care if I buy one thats already active and i adopt it, or activate it myself. Either way there all going to be active whem they are with me. And to me it dont bring the value down as I'll pay just as much for one unactive as i will active. sometimes more.

I myself like to activate them ALL. Im also one who dont care if I buy one thats already active and i adopt it, or activate it myself. Either way there all going to be active whem they are with me. And to me it dont bring the value down as I'll pay just as much for one unactive as i will active. sometimes more.

That was sorta the way I was leaning. I don't have very many yet....3, lol... but I already see the desire to collection them and keep the ones I get, yet at the same time, all the trading that goes on looks kinda fun!

The way I do it is to activate all of the coins I keep in my collection, and when I can afford it (which isn't often) I buy an extra coin or two for trade later on down the line, I do not however activate my trade coins.

As for trades I have done a couple but its been a while since the last one, and in this economy I really haven't had the cash lately for extra coins, wish I made more money, but then again don't we all.

Welcome to the obsession which is Geocoin Collectiing.

:laughing::huh::)

When I first started collecting four years ago (yep, I'm old school), I activated every coin I had. There was no such thing as discovering coins back then, I just liked the icons. But as the years went by, I realized I had too many coins and so I sent a bunch of them out as travelers. The more rare ones that I no longer wanted, I would trade. But since they were activated, the trade value wasn't as high as it would have been if it was unactivated.

So...if you think you're going to keep the geocoin forever, then by all means activate it, take it to events and let other discover them. If you think that one day you might not care one way or the other if you want to keep the coin, don't activate it because the trade (or selling) value will be higher.

Hope this helps!

Welcome !

I, too, am someone who doesn't mind if a coin is activated. I like it when a coin already has a story when it comes to me... But if you want to start trading, or like to take part in missions (great fun!) or something like the math trade, then I recommend you to keep some unactivated, because there are many, many people out there who will only trade unactivated coins. But beware! Geocoins are highly addictive! :laughing:

The way I do it is to activate all of the coins I keep in my collection, and when I can afford it (which isn't often) I buy an extra coin or two for trade later on down the line, I do not however activate my trade coins.

As for trades I have done a couple but its been a while since the last one, and in this economy I really haven't had the cash lately for extra coins, wish I made more money, but then again don't we all.

Welcome to the obsession which is Geocoin Collectiing.

:laughing::huh::)

This is the way I am doing it.

I activate all the coins I bring into my collection, but I have a few coins that I just ordered for trading (just starting up) that are duplicates of some I am buying for myself.

Those for trading will be set to the side.

But if I accept a trade, as long as the coin is in good condition, I don't mind adopting it as I agree ... it is sometimes neat to see a history with it.

Edited by MOON'S EYE

I thought exactly like you when I first started. But here is what I would suggest...wait 6 months.

I (probably because it was always low on my list of things to do) never got around to activating my growing collection. Now 9 months later, I realize (with relief) that only a couple were activated and sent out to travel. Surprisingly, my tastes have changed over the year and the coins that I HAD to have are not as important to me as my collecting style is evolving. Many people collect a coin they like in ALL finishes. I am a one finish gal...so I only keep one (MAX two!) coins in any one particular design.

Had I activated all the ones coming in my door, I would have had a harder time trading them now.

So my advice is (if you can) wait even a few months to see if you can determine your collecting habits and then start activating. I am just now realizing just how many coins are out there and which ones I like, and which I don't.

Good luck and welcome to the obsession (er, passion)!

i couldn't have said it better! my thoughts exactly.

as long as other folks have the sense that activation means a coin has less value, they will sell it for less on ebay - which is good for people like you and me who don't care!

rsg

Well, I was just activating my coins I got this week and I have a Signal FTF coin. I went to Oakcoins and they gave me the code without a problem, but then geocaching.com states that it is already active and owned by someone. So I checked and I am 99.9% sure it is who sold it to me from his private collection. I sent him off an email through ebay because the email service through here wouldn't work when I tried to send it. I just did that so I don't expect a response for a little while, but I was just wondering, how does one go through the adoption process. I was off to search the threads when I saw the latest response to this and just thought I would bring it up here. As far as the value of the coin, it doesn't matter to me if it has already been activated. Coin looks great in my collection either way. I guess the drawback could be a hassle, even a minor one, like this; but overall, it isn't a big deal to me. Guess it is like "new car" smell to some if they aren't active.

as long as other folks have the sense that activation means a coin has less value, they will sell it for less on ebay - which is good for people like you and me who don't care!

rsg

I agree, I love the activated coins just as much as the unactivated coins, maybe a little more because they have a past. Since they are adoptable and the new owner can wipe out past logs (if they so choose to do so) I don't really understand why people are willing to pay so much more for the unactivated coins. Unless they are picking them up as traders, of course.

Well, I was just activating my coins I got this week and I have a Signal FTF coin. I went to Oakcoins and they gave me the code without a problem, but then geocaching.com states that it is already active and owned by someone. So I checked and I am 99.9% sure it is who sold it to me from his private collection. I sent him off an email through ebay because the email service through here wouldn't work when I tried to send it. I just did that so I don't expect a response for a little while, but I was just wondering, how does one go through the adoption process.

To adopt just follow the instructions on the following page Adoption

In part of your note you say that you want to take these to events, if you take an unactivated coin that some unscroupiouls person writes down the code finds it to be unactivated they could activate it and now you have their coin.

I am not sure if this has happened but as an ounce of prevention we activate all coins we are going to take to events.

I also read here that peoples taste change and that is true but if you collect for yourself, and not to trade go ahead and

activate, look back on the ones you no longer cherish as much as your journey of discovery, if you want them out of your

collection send them out for the caching community to admire we love to see them, heck even offer them in a cointest

and send the adoption request who could argue with that.

I view the older coins like photos they show the journey, new technology allows the kids to wipe out pimples, blemishes,

bad hair days, etc…., one day they will want to show their kids who they were and the kids will see only perfection……

I like the odd individual….

Edited by The Finding Irish 4

Well, I was just activating my coins I got this week and I have a Signal FTF coin. I went to Oakcoins and they gave me the code without a problem, but then geocaching.com states that it is already active and owned by someone. So I checked and I am 99.9% sure it is who sold it to me from his private collection. I sent him off an email through ebay because the email service through here wouldn't work when I tried to send it. I just did that so I don't expect a response for a little while, but I was just wondering, how does one go through the adoption process. . . . . . .

I recommend you post a "Grabbed" note against that geocoin - something like "Arrived safely from ebay sale. Ready for adoption into Hartsock clan collection"

The owner will receive that, if they check their GC mail.

Adoption - has to be initiated by the coin owner, sending you an adoption request and you accept it (or decline in the rare situation of an error)

Good luck, I hope you are well equipped to deal with this addiction.

rsg

I agree, I love the activated coins just as much as the unactivated coins, maybe a little more because they have a past. Since they are adoptable and the new owner can wipe out past logs (if they so choose to do so) I don't really understand why people are willing to pay so much more for the unactivated coins. Unless they are picking them up as traders, of course.

I believe when you wipe out logs, the cachers who log that coin lose the icon from this coin.

Is this true or a fairytail. :)

In part of your note you say that you want to take these to events, if you take an unactivated coin that some unscroupiouls person writes down the code finds it to be unactivated they could activate it and now you have their coin.

I am not sure if this has happened but as an ounce of prevention we activate all coins we are going to take to events.

I also read here that peoples taste change and that is true but if you collect for yourself, and not to trade go ahead and

activate, look back on the ones you no longer cherish as much as your journey of discovery, if you want them out of your

collection send them out for the caching community to admire we love to see them, heck even offer them in a cointest

and send the adoption request who could argue with that.

I view the older coins like photos they show the journey, new technology allows the kids to wipe out pimples, blemishes,

bad hair days, etc…., one day they will want to show their kids who they were and the kids will see only perfection……

I like the odd individual….

Well, I was just activating my coins I got this week and I have a Signal FTF coin. I went to Oakcoins and they gave me the code without a problem, but then geocaching.com states that it is already active and owned by someone. So I checked and I am 99.9% sure it is who sold it to me from his private collection. I sent him off an email through ebay because the email service through here wouldn't work when I tried to send it. I just did that so I don't expect a response for a little while, but I was just wondering, how does one go through the adoption process. . . . . . .

I recommend you post a "Grabbed" note against that geocoin - something like "Arrived safely from ebay sale. Ready for adoption into Hartsock clan collection"

The owner will receive that, if they check their GC mail.

Adoption - has to be initiated by the coin owner, sending you an adoption request and you accept it (or decline in the rare situation of an error)

Good luck, I hope you are well equipped to deal with this addiction.

rsg

I believe when you wipe out logs, the cachers who log that coin lose the icon from this coin.

Is this true or a fairytail. :)

Wow, all three of these made me think about stuff I hadn't before!!!

thanks to everyone who posted on here! Great advice!

team hartsock, i am new to this coin fun too. did you see the thread about getting codes and not activating them? so much to think about.

activate or not.

which to trade which to keep

how to store.

gold, silver, or black nickel.

what have we gotten in to? hehehe

I know, it is causing me much much pain....and whoever ran that bid up on the coin I was bidding on at ebay to over $100, thanks!!! :D Just THANKS ALOT!!!!! :D Now I gotta explain to the wife why I am paying over $100 for a geocoin. :D

I tend not to do well with auctions. I can be smartly about it if I am physically attending the auction, but if I am doing it online, I tend to take it personally. lol I was determine to have that coin though no matter what price it went at. Although it had me at my limits. One more bid and I would have had to let it go.