Oregon: Switching between Topo and City Navogator

dostuffgps

Use different profiles. One for Automotive with CN enabled. Another for Search and Rescue or geocaching with Topo enabled. A third for Urban Geocaching with CN enabled but auto routing turned off. I have a fourth for U.S. travel that uses miles instead of kilometers.

Thats what i do and its the best way to go. Not only do you change mapsets but you also change personel settings at the same time.

Use different profiles.
That's a great idea, I was unaware you could do that. :laughing:

Piece of cake.

Here is another little secret.

Since there is no place to put your name and phone number (at least I haven't found one), I created two more profiles. One with my name as the profile name. And the other with my phone number as the profile. A muggle might not find it but at least it is there if I have to prove ownership.

Edited by Tequila
Use different profiles.

Piece of cake.

Since there is no place to put your name and phone number (at least I haven't found one), I created two more profiles. One with my name as the profile name. And the other with my phone number as the profile. A muggle might not find it but at least it is there if I have to prove ownership.

OK I am missing something here

I have transfered my profiles from the Colarado 300 because I have been UNABLE to edit profiles or delete them

ok tell me where the edit profile is please on the Oregon 400t O/S V2.85 beta GPS 2.58 or where to delete the profiles I have added while trying to edit

I can change profile name and THAT IS IT

I have looked If I change the Map and display background jpg and trip computer it seems they are saved in a profile

so just the one question remains how to delete a profile

Edited by IvorBigun
Use different profiles.

Piece of cake.

OK I am missing something here

I have transfered my profiles from the Colarado 300 because I have been UNABLE to edit profiles or delete them

ok tell me where the edit profile is please on the Oregon 400t O/S V2.85 beta GPS 2.58 or where to delete the profiles I have added while trying to edit

I can change profile name and THAT IS IT

I have looked If I change the Map and display background jpg and trip computer it seems they are saved in a profile

so just the one question remains how to delete a profile

SETUP/PROFILE/select profile you want to delete/DELETE

Since there is no place to put your name and phone number (at least I haven't found one), I created two more profiles.
Actually theirs a way using the custom backgrounds described on the GPSFix.net website. I've created several with unique border colors and/or embedded address text. But, I like your idea too and I may combine the two.

Thanks

Thanks for all the good ideas, you have all been very helpful. Now on my Oregon, I can get, with just two strokes, a new profile with different map sets to use----wow, I love this touch screen. I just brush over the screen, at a slight angel to prevent a selection, to get to PROFILE (no need to use the direction buttons) and then just touch the profile I want.

To delete a profile: 1. On Main Menu, touch SETUP>PROFILES. 2. Touch a profile>DELETE.

IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO DELETE YOUR CURRENT PROFILE. p. 25 Oregon Series Owners Manual

NOTE: I set up two new profiles on the Oregon last night and they were gone! this morning. I determined I had set them up while connected to my lap top power and then unplugged the USB cable. I should have powered down with the POWER BUTTON, not unplug the USB cable. I tied it again this morning and it was fine with the POWER BUTTON.

Since there is no place to put your name and phone number (at least I haven't found one), I created two more profiles.
Actually theirs a way using the custom backgrounds described on the GPSFix.net website. I've created several with unique border colors and/or embedded address text. But, I like your idea too and I may combine the two.

Thanks

Link

Thanks

Link

I had desinged my own JPGs for backgrounds for colarado and they fit the 400 too

200 x 400 pixels in ms paint add text coulor s o simple

lighterand darker ones are usefull rg on my bike in the darker eves I have the clouds bmp edited to fit

experiment with light and dark even just a black or white

but there is no edit profile in the 400

Hi, I just made two new profiles for my Oregon 300 and wanted to confirm with you guys that my settings make any sense at all. Sorry for asking so many (dumb) questions :)

The first one loads up my topo maps. Routing is set to pedestrian and off-road and locking to roads is switched off. I want to use this profile if I am out in the fields and away from roads.

The second one uses City Navigator maps. Routing is also set to pedestrian and "on road for distance". This profile should be for caching in more urban areas where I would mostly walk on roads. What I don't understand is, what happens if my cache away from the road, e.g. in a small park. Will the routing automatically change to off road routing, once I leave the roads? Also, should I set this profile to lock on roads? What would happen if I lock to roads but then leave the road? Will the Oregon change automatically to off-road routing? What is the "off-road transitions" setting for?

Should I split this profile up into two profiles. One which is set to "on road for distance" and "lock on road" to get me close to the cache if I don't know the area (I will be walking) and one which is set to "off road" and "do not lock on roads" for use once I am close to the cache. Both profiles would be using CN maps and would be for urban caching.

I would appreciate any help I can get on this.

Many thanks

Robert

I don't use lock on road for any type of geocaching or walking profile, it is really only useful in automotive profiles.

The unit will not automatically switch between on-road and off-road routing. The offroad transitions setting has nothing to do with this, it is discussed here:

http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Navigat...and+Routes#toc1

Either of your two options below would work for urban caching. If all you want to change is the type of routing when you venture off road you can use your first option. When you get ready to go off road you can go to WhereTo?>Switch to Off Road (I don't have my unit so this might not be the exact name).

The second option would work as well (two profiles). The benefit of this approach is that you could change other settings as well (for example map orientation or map selection) if the first option above doesn't work for you.

I'd give the first option a shot and if that doesn't work create the extra profile.

This is a bit more basic, but on the same line. I am really new to my Oregon 400t. My GPSr came with a City Navigator CD. I loaded it onto my computer and registered it with Garmin. The Garmin website says I have it downloaded.

I cannot figure out how to get the CN to show on the Oregon. I change to automotive profile, but it still doesn't show when I go to setup--map--map information, select map. Only the topo map is listed. Doesn't that mean that the Oregon doesn't know it is there?

Thanks, Thistle Dew

Use different profiles.
That's a great idea, I was unaware you could do that. :(

Piece of cake.

Tequila, I did the ID thing by creating a white background screen with a colored border and putting my name, email and phone on it with a graphics software program. I have a different colored border for each profile I use. The background image idea came from a posting which I believe I saw at gpsfix.com. They have a basic white screen you can use already formatted to the correct size, and you can download it and modify it any way you want. You then upload it to the same folder where the default background images exist, then go to your setup screen and select the image there to make it show up.

The phone and email shows up on the background of every screen on every profile where the normal background image would show.

Your way is a great idea for those who might not have access to a graphics program to do the editing, and I hadn't thought of it... very clever!

BlueDamsel

Edited by BlueDamsel

This is a bit more basic, but on the same line. I am really new to my Oregon 400t. My GPSr came with a City Navigator CD. I loaded it onto my computer and registered it with Garmin. The Garmin website says I have it downloaded.

I cannot figure out how to get the CN to show on the Oregon. I change to automotive profile, but it still doesn't show when I go to setup--map--map information, select map. Only the topo map is listed. Doesn't that mean that the Oregon doesn't know it is there?

Thanks, Thistle Dew

If you bought this on DVD I believe you have to use MapInstall (Mac) or MapSource (PC) to transfer it from the DVD to your Oregon. This is what I had to do when I got a topo to put on my 300. If you just put it on the computer and registered it, it doesn't mean it went to the GPS. When I installed my topo, it showed up in Road Trip but not on the GPS. After I used MapInstall, then it showed up.

I could be wrong about this, as my City Nav NT is on microSD card, but, this is the way it worked for the topo I used, and I'd guess it's the same procedure for any map.

BlueDamsel

Use different profiles.
That's a great idea, I was unaware you could do that. :(

Piece of cake.

Tequila, I did the ID thing by creating a white background screen with a colored border and putting my name, email and phone on it with a graphics software program. I have a different colored border for each profile I use. The background image idea came from a posting which I believe I saw at gpsfix.com. They have a basic white screen you can use already formatted to the correct size, and you can download it and modify it any way you want. You then upload it to the same folder where the default background images exist, then go to your setup screen and select the image there to make it show up.

The phone and email shows up on the background of every screen on every profile where the normal background image would show.

Your way is a great idea for those who might not have access to a graphics program to do the editing, and I hadn't thought of it... very clever!

BlueDamsel

Where on the background do you put your name and phone number so the buttons don't cover it?

Another way is to put an image that is visible in the Image Viewer.

Where on the background do you put your name and phone number so the buttons don't cover it?

Another way is to put an image that is visible in the Image Viewer.

Once installed, these backgrounds do show up in Image Viewer. It's true that the buttons cover it on most screen windows, however... some screens you can see the info, some you can't. But it's surprising the number of screens where the whole address info shows.

Thanks. I knew I must have missed a step. Now, where do I get mapsource? Thistle Dew

You can download it from garmin.com in their support section. I also believe it should be on a disk which came with the unit if you bought it new in box (not 100% on this, since Mapsource is for PCs, I didn't bother to look for it).