First family outing

bigcanoe

We took our new 60CSX out for a spin at a local park today. I had loaded a bunch of caches onto it before leaving, and I had my iPhone with me too. The first one we hunted we didnt find, we moved on. The second one was well hidden but my 13 year old found it. We couldnt find the third either. I found the fourth. And my 13 year old found the fifth. The compass was useless at first, until I remembered we had to calibrate it, then it was great. My wife loved controlling the GPS and leading the pack. My 10 year old wanted to get back home and play video games, ah well, maybe in time.

It was a great, very fun, and even productive first outing!

Great!! Glad you had fun as a family - that is what it is all about.

A few tips: Don't expect to find the caches right at ground zero. The average accuracy of most handheld units is around 20 foot. Add that to any error the hider experienced and you may need to search 40 to 50 foot from ground zero. Typically you find them within 20 foot but be prepared to widen the area.

Congrats on your 1st finds. We have 9 and 10 year old sons who go with us so I have some level of expertise on this. Before you go on your next group of caches go to the dollar store etc. and let your kid(s) pick out swag items to leave. Some tiny, some big etc. As you’re driving to the cache have them pick out what they want to leave (based on cache size). Also, read the cache page to them on the trip there. Try to start with larger caches as they tend to have more swag options. Now For the Learning experience – It the cache has nice swag to trade, great. If not (McToys etc.) still have your children leave their item even if they don’t take anything. “so the next kids have something neat and maybe they’ll do the same for you on the next cache”. Also, If you spot the cache before the 10 year old prod them in the correct direction so they make the find. After a few caches the kids will be more excited then you and even better at locating the caches. Heck, our kids even like nano’s now. :laughing:

Something I learned the hard way recently: when you change batteries in the 60CSX, you'll need to recalibrate the compass. I had read that but forgot about it and was very confused after I first changed the batteries.

Sometimes you may need to recalibrate it even between battery changes. Sometimes if it has been sitting for a while and sometimes for no apparent reason.

Any time the compass starts acting fluky, try calibrating it.

Something I learned the hard way recently: when you change batteries in the 60CSX, you'll need to recalibrate the compass. I had read that but forgot about it and was very confused after I first changed the batteries.

Sometimes you may need to recalibrate it even between battery changes. Sometimes if it has been sitting for a while and sometimes for no apparent reason.

Any time the compass starts acting fluky, try calibrating it.

And remember, you can always use the map screen to navigate to the cache. My 76Cx does not have an electronic compass so I use the map page to navigate to most caches.

As a 60CSx user I found out after 2 DNF's about calibrating the compass, and since then I recalibrate my compass every time I turn it on. I also set my compass page to be right after my map page, that way using the page and quit button I can toggle between them.

Edited by BrrrMo

As 60CSx user I found out after 2 DNF's and since then I recalibrate my compass every time I turn it on.

Good tip. At first we just used the proximity alarm, and tried to head toward the dot :laughing:

The compass page is the most useful for Geocaching. Shows direction and a coun tdown to the location. Put the GPS away when you are within 20 feet and start looking for likely hiding spots.

Also, If you spot the cache before the 10 year old prod them in the correct direction so they make the find. After a few caches the kids will be more excited then you and even better at locating the caches. Heck, our kids even like nano’s now. :laughing:

I'll second this sentiment. I usually go with my 8 and 10 year old girls. The first few caches we did, when I spotted the cache I triumphantly hauled it out with a shout. The kids were of course excited regardless, but nowadays when I spot the cache I'll often casually say something like "Hey Lauren, why don't you take that pile of stumps over there and I'll check over here" and then wait for the shrieks of delight. It's so much more fun and the kids' excitement is easily triple what it was when I was the one who "found" the cache.

Also, If you spot the cache before the 10 year old prod them in the correct direction so they make the find. After a few caches the kids will be more excited then you and even better at locating the caches. Heck, our kids even like nano’s now. :laughing:

I'll second this sentiment. I usually go with my 8 and 10 year old girls. The first few caches we did, when I spotted the cache I triumphantly hauled it out with a shout. The kids were of course excited regardless, but nowadays when I spot the cache I'll often casually say something like "Hey Lauren, why don't you take that pile of stumps over there and I'll check over here" and then wait for the shrieks of delight. It's so much more fun and the kids' excitement is easily triple what it was when I was the one who "found" the cache.

Ya, one of the ones my son found was funny. It was a micro imbedded in a stick. I picked up the stick to check a tree hollow behind it and replaced the stick. My son picked the stick back up and said "AH HA! Here it is". There was a hole in the stick, inside which was a section of garden hose, inside which was the cache. He loved that one :huh: