Incorrect coordinates downloaded?

agorton

Hi, Im new at this, just bought my eTrex Legend gps. When I downloaded a cache location, I was suspicious that the wrong coordinates were downloaded- they were different than the ones the website listed (only the W direction, the N direction was fine.) I went outside to test it to be sure, and it was the wrong info- I knew in general where the cache was, but the downloaded coordiantes wouldve had me going 50 miles in the wrong direction. Do I have to change some setting on the gps? thank you.

Hi, Im new at this, just bought my eTrex Legend gps. When I downloaded a cache location, I was suspicious that the wrong coordinates were downloaded- they were different than the ones the website listed (only the W direction, the N direction was fine.) I went outside to test it to be sure, and it was the wrong info- I knew in general where the cache was, but the downloaded coordiantes wouldve had me going 50 miles in the wrong direction. Do I have to change some setting on the gps? thank you.

More information is always better than less. What is the cache GC#? Exactly what incorrect coordinates are you seeing on the GPS?

More information is always better than less. What is the cache GC#? Exactly what incorrect coordinates are you seeing on the GPS?

GC# GCM8PF. Website lists W 073° 55.423, but when i downloaded it, it changed to W 073. 1.__...I deleted the waypoint and re-downloaded it, and this time it has come up on the gps correctly. ?

GC# GCM8PF. Website lists W 073° 55.423, but when i downloaded it, it changed to W 073. 1.__...I deleted the waypoint and re-downloaded it, and this time it has come up on the gps correctly. ?

If your gps is saying W073.1xxxx then it appears you have your gps set for DD.dddd not DD MM.mmm. It is the same place, your just trying to interpret the reading as DD MM.mmm when it is DD.ddd. Go to the system setup(?) and make sure your set to WGS84 and the reading is DD MM.mmm. Then it should look right.

Jim

The gps is set to WGS84. Yes, Im using the garmin communicator thing that pops up when you click on "send to gps" on the website. (Then it finds the attached device and writes the coordinates into it, etc.)

This was the first cache I downloaded, maybe it was a fluke. Yes I will check the coord.s before I leave the house.

Thanks for everyone's input.

It's happened to me a couple of times now - today in fact. I have a 60CSx, use a Mac and use Communicator to send cache info directly to my GPSr. I'm learning to double check before I head out.

If it's truly a bug, it won't get fixed until Garmin & Groundspeak are made aware of it.

I don't have a Garmin, so I can't even attempt to reproduce it, nor have I witnessed it firsthand. The Garmin folks here who have had it happen need to be reporting this!

I went out with a friend this weekend to a cache I had been to before. He has a Venture HC. We started walking and I was like where are you going, matched coords and his was off by 250ft+.

** He used Garmin communicator.

Did you check that the datums were correct? Did you check that output formats were the same? 33 44.322 can look a lot like 33.44322 if all you're paying attention to is the digits.

Did you check that the datums were correct? Did you check that output formats were the same? 33 44.322 can look a lot like 33.44322 if all you're paying attention to is the digits.

As Ive said in my above posts. They were loaded via communicator, got botched coords, reloaded making no changes and second time worked. I am not the only one with this problem. And yes datums and output format were correct.

As Ive said in my above posts. They were loaded via communicator, got botched coords, reloaded making no changes and second time worked. I am not the only one with this problem. And yes datums and output format were correct.

If you do a find and select a waypoint and then select to view the map, hit enter while in the map you have now entered edit waypoint. You can move the waypoint anywhere you want with the joystick or rocker. Hit enter again and you save the new waypoint location. Many have done this.

I have downloaded many waypoints with the communicator and never had a botched waypoint. But if you feel that the communicator is in error, I would suggest you bring this up with garmin and also contact Groundspeak and have them pull that functionality until garmin gets there act together. I would cite the many other instances of problems that you personally know about.

Jim

If you do a find and select a waypoint and then select to view the map, hit enter while in the map you have now entered edit waypoint. You can move the waypoint anywhere you want with the joystick or rocker. Hit enter again and you save the new waypoint location. Many have done this.

I have downloaded many waypoints with the communicator and never had a botched waypoint. But if you feel that the communicator is in error, I would suggest you bring this up with garmin and also contact Groundspeak and have them pull that functionality until garmin gets there act together. I would cite the many other instances of problems that you personally know about.

Jim

That is a definite possibility too. I know when it happened I hadnt had the gps that long and was still learning it.

When I choose a waypoint off the gps I select go to and maybe change to the compass, but dont usually mess with the joystick.

Edited by jbuffethed