Number of Archived Caches

I've been caching since about the summer of 2005. I was looking at some of my stats and noticed that 23% of the caches that I've found have been archived. I figured that there was a bit of turnover in caches, but almost a quarter of the caches I've found kind of surprised me. Just curious what everyone elses percentage might be. Looking over the caches, most were simple micros (1:1 parking lot caches), but several were good quality regular caches that I remember enjoying due to the creativity or neat container (not saying micros can't do that either). Just curious to see what others stats say.

I have about the same average but I know most of those caches have since been replaced either by the original owner or the location was adopted by another cacher.

There's going to be some weeding out of less than good locations. But really, I find an established cache rarely gets archived. If the owner can't maintain it they normally adopt it out.

Edited by BlueDeuce

I agree with the stats. And add that mine get skewed since I've gone to so many events, and all of those are archived (well all should be by now).

Now your other, unasked, question, how many unpublished caches are there? I'd say perhaps just about as many as currently are available, 721,840 or more.

About 28% of the caches I have visited are now archived.

Some skew in that as well for me - the vast majority of those are caches I visited 4+ years ago. Many of those spots have another cache today. My own experience is that about 25% of my cache hides over 5 years old have gotten archived - mostly due to changes in the setting over time.

28% sounds about right. That does include Locationless caches, and event caches, though. Some one-time newby caches. Some terrible containers. What surprises me are the 'disposable' caches. No maintenance. "Oh. It's gone. Archive." Oh, well.

I haven't put too many caches out, but about half have been archived. These were put in what I thought were good/fun locations but knew they would eventually be muggled within a year. People had some fun with them, which is what is important and rather than replace them I have/will put out caches at new locations which will give the locals some new caches to find. Personally, I view all caches as being disposable, although I am sentimental about keeping my first active.

626 out of 2276... 28.56%. 25 of the archived ones are event caches. We've had a couple mass extinctions in this area. A cacher with lots of hides archived a bunch at one time a few years back, and more recently we had the AT trail problem.

PS.. just noticed that I've also archived exactly 28% of my caches.

Edited by edscott

28% sounds about right. That does include Locationless caches, and event caches, though. Some one-time newby caches. Some terrible containers. What surprises me are the 'disposable' caches. No maintenance. "Oh. It's gone. Archive." Oh, well.

I haven't put too many caches out, but about half have been archived. These were put in what I thought were good/fun locations but knew they would eventually be muggled within a year. People had some fun with them, which is what is important and rather than replace them I have/will put out caches at new locations which will give the locals some new caches to find. Personally, I view all caches as being disposable, although I am sentimental about keeping my first active.

I could be wrong, but I think Harry Dolphin's point was that for some people it seems like the plan for maintaining the cache was to not do any. The cache is planned out with the cheapest no worries if it gets lost materials, and when it gets reported missing they archive it without it really getting check out by the owner and/or people that have in the past actually found the cache. While its never possiable to be 100% certain there isn't a lost cache (or parts of a damaged one) left out there, the lack of attempting to track down our toys doesn't seem to mesh well with good stewardship practices like CITO.

edit:

Ran my numbers, 26.2% archived for me. Though some of those are locationless and events so thats a little off.

Edited by welch

I could be wrong, but I think Harry Dolphin's point was that for some people it seems like the plan for maintaining the cache was to not do any. The cache is planned out with the cheapest no worries if it gets lost materials, and when it gets reported missing they archive it without it really getting check out by the owner and/or people that have in the past actually found the cache. While its never possiable to be 100% certain there isn't a lost cache (or parts of a damaged one) left out there, the lack of attempting to track down our toys doesn't seem to mesh well with good stewardship practices like CITO.

I agree. Way too many caches are orphaned after they are placed, which is why I would like to see some process whereby caches expire or are required to be "recertified". Personally, I check on caches after a couple of dnfs and then make the decision as to whether to replace or archive if they are MIA.