Linux and GSAK

Starbugs

As far as I'm aware the only way of donig that would be to run a Windows Virtual Machine on the linux box - you might be lucky and something like WINE will do the trick, but I've not used WINE in ages.

I've not looked at doing virtual machines (My desktop at home is Ubuntu and all of the s/w I write at work is Linux based) , but I do have a windows laptop which I do most caching activities with as I just find it easier (and if you know me you'll know how much I hate using M$ products of any kind !)

There's this thread http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=200708 which has a load of stuff in.

Lins

Hi All, not sure if this is the correct forum (please move if its wrong). Does anybody know if you can run programs such as GSAK and Memory map on a Linux system as we are thinking of moving OS to a linux based OS - Thanks in advance

I don't use GSAK, but I have got MemoryMap working on my laptop running OpenSuse 11.1 using Wine.

Richard

Hi All, not sure if this is the correct forum (please move if its wrong). Does anybody know if you can run programs such as GSAK and Memory map on a Linux system as we are thinking of moving OS to a linux based OS - Thanks in advance

Until very recently (and once I get my Netbook built properly I will again), I was running GSAK and Memory Map under Wine on Ubuntu 8.04.

Runs very nicely too.

I was also using Wine for running Garmin Mapsource.

Funny enough, I think these were among the very few applications which I couldn't find Linux alternatives for.

Edited by The Other Stu

Until very recently (and once I get my Netbook built properly I will again), I was running GSAK and Memory Map under Wine on Ubuntu 8.04.

Runs very nicely too.

I was also using Wine for running Garmin Mapsource.

Funny enough, I think these were among the very few applications which I couldn't find Linux alternatives for.

I use Memory Map under wine with no problems (other than some odd display glitches) - I don't expect there to be any alternative for it under *nix.

I'm not really paperless yet, never liked GSAK so never bothered with it under nix, there's some alternatives around, but none of those I've tried have been particularly simple or straightforward to use.

QLandkarte GT is supposedly a good alternative to Mapsource. http://www.qlandkarte.org/ (and in Ubuntu repository)

I also have got quite fond of Viking (http://viking.sf.net, also in Ubuntu software repository), nice simple desktop map interface.

Edited by Edgemaster

Hi

I've been happily running GSAK on VirtualBox under Ubuntu 8.10.

For a while I was running it with WINE, but sadly the newer versions using SQL seem to have major issues with WINE and just won't start at all. :laughing:

GPS Turbo looks an interesting alternative to GSAK, but I've not tried it out yet. Just prompted me to try... :huh:

Code looks messy, distributes libraries with the codebase, thus won't compile on linux out of the box - not going to put much effort into it. Although OpenStreetMap vector and Garmin .img support looks interesting...

Edited by Edgemaster

Code looks messy, distributes libraries with the codebase, thus won't compile on linux out of the box - not going to put much effort into it. Although OpenStreetMap vector and Garmin .img support looks interesting...

Whoosh... :)

There's no smiley for something flying WAY over your head is there!

I think all the gubbins about subversions is waht put me off trying in the first place. Tried it and nothing doing. I couldn't even follow the readme file for that (or kgui)

Hey ho.