John Wayne Trail Tunnels Closed Indefinitely

Forty-n-Eight

Is one of these the tunnel to the APE cache?

The Snoqualmie Tunnel is the main route to the Ape cache. It can be reached by trail from the west side. However, those of us with limited mobility would not be able to access this cache without the tunnel.

I have been to the Ape cache twice on my mobility scooter. The logs on the cache indicate that it has been found by people on wheelchairs also.

The tunnel is great fun to go through, and I hope it isn't closed to long.

By the strangest of coincidences I went to a Super Bowl party with one of the Engineers that evaluated those tunnels that caused the parks to close them.

:D Based on some of the info and photos I saw, there are some very hazardous areas in each of the tunnels and many area where the shotcrete skin and rocks in the tunnels are about to come down. I also know that some design build plans are in the works to repaire them.

End of April 2009 I'm flying out from England to America, stopping off in Seattle for 3 days with the original intention of claiming the PROJECT A.P.E cache.

Fool heartedly? this leg of of journey will be on my own, so is anyone interested in teaming up (esecially for the APE cache?)

Would enjoy some company on this once in a life time cache and look forward to exchanging some geocaching banter.

Look me up via the Geocaching website. :D

I'm hoping that the cache is accessible by alternate route.

End of April 2009 I'm flying out from England to America, stopping off in Seattle for 3 days with the original intention of claiming the PROJECT A.P.E cache.

Fool heartedly? this leg of of journey will be on my own, so is anyone interested in teaming up (esecially for the APE cache?)

Would enjoy some company on this once in a life time cache and look forward to exchanging some geocaching banter.

Yes, you can get from a couple of different ways - a bushwhack climb up from the freeway (not recommended) or from a couple of trailheads downhill from the cache (a lot more effort than the tunnel route but do-able).

Yes, you can get from a couple of different ways - a bushwhack climb up from the freeway (not recommended)

Especially as the State Patrol WILL investigate your vehicle! You will likely get a ticket, too.

Edited by Dwoodford

The timing on this could have been problematic anyhow. The tunnel is normally set to open about May First, but it may open earlier or later than that. Of course, now, it won't open this year at all.

Yes, there is an alternate route in. The Asahel Curtis parking lot has a trail head that will go up to the Iron Horse Trail. If you are biking up, you can start further down the hill at some other access point.

How far is the hike to the APE cache from Annette Lake trailhead?

This is just a guess since I don't have decent maps for that area, but I would say that the distances are about the same. It might be a bit less from the Annette Lake trailhead, but the trail is not the best one and there is some elevation gain which you wouldn't have through the tunnel. I did the Ape cache that way when I first visited it and continued on into the tunnel. I have done it through the tunnel as well. The trail has lots of rocks and tree roots looking to grab at your boots, which is why I say it is not the best.

:laughing: About 2 easy miles Max....

That's really good to know, because I'm probably gonna have to go up there in a couple months, and the tunnels will still be closed. But will it probably be snowy still?

When exactly?

Well I know for sure that it's gonna be between March 28 and May 4 so that I can do the GPS Adventures exhibit at the same time, it's the first time it's gonna be on the west coast! But I'm gonna also try to do The Lilly Pad and The Original Stash and Unoriginal Stash as well. I haven't narrowed down the date any further than that yet though.

Does anyone have a track log image with stats(ie elevation, etc) for the hike from the Annette Lake Trail Head?

What is the average round trip time and distance from this access point?

Looks like the Crazy Canuck Cachers are coming sometime in June to complete the Trifecta.

Any other tips, tricks, special equipment suggestions would be appreciated.

Binrat

7 mile round trip. 1700 feet elevation gain. There are some primitive camp sites up there and there is (bearing in mind it's been a few years since I was there) a nice place to picnic on the near side. The track is courtesy Moun10Bike's NW Trails Project. This is an easy to moderate hike. Figure about 1.5-2 hours to get there. Standard daypack with the 10 essentials and a lunch will go a long way. Stove is a bonus if you want to enjoy a hot cup of cocoa or coffee beside the lake. You may have a cool breeze coming down from the other side so a light jacket is recommended. Binoculars and a camera is a plus.

Overview

annettelake.jpg

3D

annettelkae3d.jpg

annettelakeprofile.jpg

Edited by TotemLake

Greg, I think that they are more interested in going to the Ape Cache. If that is true then everything you need is below.

6b289067-6722-4286-84f9-698c2f19cac5.jpg

* Exit 47 from I-90

* Large well signed parking area on the south side of the highway

* Less than 4 miles round trip

* Around 600 feet elevation gain, almost all of it in the first mile.

* The trail is in good shape as it has been worked on in the last few years.

* Another half mile up the railroad grade is the second oldest cache in the state (Iron Horse).

Greg, I think that they are more interested in going to the Ape Cache. If that is true then everything you need is below.

6b289067-6722-4286-84f9-698c2f19cac5.jpg

* Exit 47 from I-90

* Large well signed parking area on the south side of the highway

* Less than 4 miles round trip

* Around 600 feet elevation gain, almost all of it in the first mile.

* The trail is in good shape as it has been worked on in the last few years.

* Another half mile up the railroad grade is the second oldest cache in the state (Iron Horse).

Perfect, that makes things clearer, and I can see we follow a contour line.

Yes, should have been clearer, Annette Lake Trail Head to the APE Cache.

But I am curious, what are the 10 essentials?

I normally pack snacks, water/gatorade mix, jacket, maybe socks, etc.

Binrat