Copy Lost Coins and Attach to Cache

River Cacher

Would it be wrong to take photos of my lost Geocoins that have been missing for more then a year or two and make a button or ? out of it and attach them to one of my ammo can caches.

These would be for discovery only and when the lost ones show back up i could go and get the button or ?one and remove it.

Has anyone heard of anything like this ?

What are your thoughts ?

In each cache I place, I find a coin that fits with the cache theme and put a color copy of it in the log book for discovery. Most of my caches are puzzles, and I wanted to offer a little extra to anyone who takes the trouble to solve and find them.

That's a great idea,

It really is!!

OpaLsns

Would it be wrong to take photos of my lost Geocoins that have been missing for more then a year or two and make a button or ? out of it and attach them to one of my ammo can caches.

These would be for discovery only and when the lost ones show back up i could go and get the button or ?one and remove it.

What are your thoughts ?

Oh, sure -- it's akin to using the COPY tag on a travel bug, IMO (although when you do that, you're releasing it as an actual traveller, rather than attaching it permanently to a cache). I haven't heard of adding it to a cache's decoration, but I think that's a pretty cool idea.

I'd recommend looking through the forum for all of the other threads that have to do with proxies (especially ones that talk about ways to make really quality copies) and use the info there to make a great proxy. You could probably get some good gouge on how to attach it to your cache over in the "Cool Cache Containers" thread in the "Geocaching Topics" Forum.

I'd also recommend that when you put your copy out, make sure that you modify the coin's page to explain exactly what you've done and what it's for, and that the original coin is missing or stolen.

Go for it! : )

What are your thoughts ?

I think that it sounds like a great idea. Leaves you the option if the original ever shows up you can remove the copy. there is someone here who puts coins in his caches for discovery only. There will be some who don't like proxies of any sort but hey they don't have to discover it they already got the smily! :D

I found a cache in jersey that had an acual coin drilled and attached to the Ammo can with aircraft cable, you could discover it but not take it with you.

I bought some Letter Box Geocoins and i am going to drill and attach one to the cache so it is always there for discovery.

It will be a Letterbox Hybrid with a letter box discovery.

I was thinking of making it a real hard to get to cache as well but i am not sure.

I found a cache in jersey that had an acual coin drilled and attached to the Ammo can with aircraft cable, you could discover it but not take it with you.

In each cache I place, I find a coin that fits with the cache theme and put a color copy of it in the log book for discovery. Most of my caches are puzzles, and I wanted to offer a little extra to anyone who takes the trouble to solve and find them.

Both of these are outstanding ideas. I will definitely have to give both a try!!!

Thanks for the ideas. :D

I bought some Letter Box Geocoins and i am going to drill and attach one to the cache so it is always there for discovery.

It will be a Letterbox Hybrid with a letter box discovery.

I was thinking of making it a real hard to get to cache as well but i am not sure.

The cool thing about that coin is that its one side is an actual stamp -- very appropriate for your cache!

You can read forum posts about this topic until your eyes bleed. TPTB seem to have made their feelings pretty clear early on.

The number in parentheses is the number of posts to each thread. (Totaling 986 entrys.!!)

Enjoy.

Forum 1 (78) Posts #1 and #4 from Jeremy seem pretty clear though the initial discussion WAS supposedly about TB's, the Geocoin issue is quite prevalent.

Forum 2 (167)

Forum 3 (38)

Forum 4 (31)

Forum 5 (48)

Forum 6 (42)

Forum 7 (23)

Forum 8 (100)

Forum 9 (91)

Forum 10 (50)

Forum 11 (37)

Forum 12 (36)

Forum 13 (43)

Forum 14 (49)

Forum 15 (143)

Forum 16 (10)

IMO Paper coins are just that. If I seek a cache because the coin icon happens to be there and find a "Copy" it just doesn't do much for me. Nothing like the feel of a nice hefty coin thumping into your hand.

Paper coins? Might as well just post all the coin numbers on this forum so we can all do the discovery thing and get the icon's.

(Yes I ripped off this format from a post in one of the threads just to be expiditious about it. (Thanks Kealia)

You can read forum posts about this topic until your eyes bleed. TPTB seem to have made their feelings pretty clear early on.

The number in parentheses is the number of posts to each thread. (Totaling 986 entrys.!!)

Enjoy.

Forum 1 (78) Posts #1 and #4 from Jeremy seem pretty clear though the initial discussion WAS supposedly about TB's, the Geocoin issue is quite prevalent.

Forum 2 (167)

Forum 3 (38)

Forum 4 (31)

Forum 5 (48)

Forum 6 (42)

Forum 7 (23)

Forum 8 (100)

Forum 9 (91)

Forum 10 (50)

Forum 11 (37)

Forum 12 (36)

Forum 13 (43)

Forum 14 (49)

Forum 15 (143)

Forum 16 (10)

IMO Paper coins are just that. If I seek a cache because the coin icon happens to be there and find a "Copy" it just doesn't do much for me. Nothing like the feel of a nice hefty coin thumping into your hand.

Paper coins? Might as well just post all the coin numbers on this forum so we can all do the discovery thing and get the icon's.

(Yes I ripped off this format from a post in one of the threads just to be expiditious about it. (Thanks Kealia)

Regarding Forum #1 and this thread here ... We are not talking about a virtual bug here (which is a number posted online that would be posted at random by people who see the number in the cyber world) as he is putting what amounts to a replacement bug (physical even in the form of a copy) in the cache he is creating.

As long as he is identifying it as such in the title on the page for the Geocoin, I don't see a problem with it.

Person seeking will know even before they travel to the location (if they just read what is in front of them) and can decide if just seeing a copy of the coin will do or not.

Consider it a travel bug dog tag on a cache that isn't going anywhere. ... You can discover it but not move it.

Edited by MOON'S EYE