Can I hide a cache here?

Gamma5

Hello,

When I placed my first cache, it was rejected because it was too close to another one by 30 ft.

The other one was a mystery cache I had not solved, so, I did not know it was there.

The frustrating part was not the fact that I had to go back and retrieve my cache, the frustrating part was that I was not able to find the mystery cache...

Is there a way to check if a place I intend to hide a cache is 'available' before I leave home?

Thanks.

Hello Gamma5,

Here is what we do:

1. Find a great spot that we would like to put a cache.

2. We then tag the coords,and head home, to see if there are any caches close.

Here is the rule:

The reviewers use a rule of thumb that caches placed within .10 miles (528 feet or 161 metres) of

another cache may not be published on the site.

Make sure our location is available.....

3. Come up with an idea for the cache.

A. Type

B. Size

C. Theme

D. Get SWAG, Trackables, FTF Prize, etc.....

4. Start the cache reporting which we do over and over again!

4. Place the cache.

5. We then do the cache as would any Cachers to make sure it makes sense.

I know this sounds like a lot but it makes for successful caches, I know I only have hidden 2 but I have hidden 4 with my Dad, and 2 with my Brother.

I have 2 in the design stages, my Brother has 4 in design.

Dad well he is running after us.

Happy Hiding.

P.S. I did have one that I had to revise to get published, and my Brother had to move one of his because it was too close to an active Rail Road.

I would visit the link:How to hide A Geocache

Edited by Queenie-Boo-Bay

Hello,

When I placed my first cache, it was rejected because it was too close to another one by 30 ft.

The other one was a mystery cache I had not solved, so, I did not know it was there.

The frustrating part was not the fact that I had to go back and retrieve my cache, the frustrating part was that I was not able to find the mystery cache...

Is there a way to check if a place I intend to hide a cache is 'available' before I leave home?

Thanks.

Check to see if any Puzzle or Multi caches are within roughly two miles. If there is anything there, you might have a proximity issue. Scout the area for possible hiding spots. Don't put too much effort into your initial effort. Just take a walk and mark some potential hiding spots. Submit them to your reviewer and ask if they are clear or not.

This is the main reason why I haven't hid a full size cache yet. Much smaller chance that a Micro will be mistaken for a bomb.. Although some folks have made a big stink of my fake dog poo cache :D

You could get the coordinates for where you want to place one, then fire an e-mail / PM to your local reviewer and just ask if the location is clear. That way it will save the hassle of fully placing, then re-locating it.