cell phone notification

From your My Account page, select 'Set Up Notifications' in the Premium Features section. At the bottom you will have the option of having the notification sent to an email address different than the one already on file. In that box you would put the address to have it sent to you as a text message.

T-Mobile: phonenumber@tmomail.net

Virgin Mobile: phonenumber@vmobl.com

Cingular: phonenumber@cingularme.com

Sprint: phonenumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com

Verizon: phonenumber@vtext.com

Nextel: phonenumber@messaging.nextel.com

Alltel: phonenumber@message.alltel.com

US Cellular: phonenumber@email.uscc.net

SunCom: phonenumber@tms.suncom.com

Powertel: phonenumber@ptel.net

AT&T: phonenumber@txt.att.net

where phonenumber = your 10 digit phone number

(thanks JBnW from Forum post on Jan 18)

-edited to add phone company list-

Edited by DiamondDaveG

From your My Account page, select 'Set Up Notifications' in the Premium Features section. At the bottom you will have the option of having the notification sent to an email address different than the one already on file. In that box you would put the address to have it sent to you as a text message.

If you do a Forum Search you will find the entire list of addresses. If you have Verizon the address would be XXXXXXXXXX@vtext.com with the 'X' being your 10 digit phone number.

I had searched earlier and found that info but then tried later and forgot how I found it and couldn't track it down. Thanks!!! Will try to do this tomorrow.

And I forgot to state the standard disclaimer...... standard texting charges apply to any incoming text messages. Just something to remember when you include every find on every cache within a 100 mile radius.

Just wanted to get back and say that we got hooked up ok. Wanted to wait till we actually received one to know that it worked. Be nice if it also gave the coords too. And, yes, we did think about the charges.

Thanks so much to everyone!

Be nice if it also gave the coords too. And, yes, we did think about the charges.

You won't get the coodds, since it's required to read a cache page to see the coords. There liability reasons for not allowing someone to blindly go to any location.

You need to know the hazards, any parking coords, where it it private property and where to go to avoid that if necessary and just about a thopusand other reasons.

Let alone the fact that 150 characters shows nothing.

Get a cell phone that has internet access, and go to the wap.geocaching.com site the instant you get a text notification. Or have WiFi...

Be nice if it also gave the coords too. And, yes, we did think about the charges.

You won't get the coodds, since it's required to read a cache page to see the coords. There liability reasons for not allowing someone to blindly go to any location.

You need to know the hazards, any parking coords, where it it private property and where to go to avoid that if necessary and just about a thopusand other reasons.

Let alone the fact that 150 characters shows nothing.

Get a cell phone that has internet access, and go to the wap.geocaching.com site the instant you get a text notification. Or have WiFi...

Hadn't thought of all of those issues I guess because we have gone looking with the barest of info. when necessary. Thanks!

I'm not the techy in this family but I think the Mr. maybe has web capabilities on his Palm. He doesn't always have it with him but if it can help, he should now. Thanks again!

I have my notification set up to come by e-mail. If I go directly to my phone how does this come down as an e-mail or text message. Which is the more efficient way of getting them? It really makes no difference to me as I have unlimited text and e-mail plan on my phone. If its a text message that contains the gcXXXXX number and cache info. I'll just have to go directly to the Mobile Web for the coords and description. That would work fine for me.

As a text message it shows the person making the log entry, what they did (published, archived, found, etc) to what cache and the GC number but nothing more. It does not have the D/T, coords, hint, description, etc.

I did have one recently that didnt have the GC because the cache name was so long the 160 character limit cut it off.

Which was to go is basically personal preference. I prefer the text message so I know right now & can decide to pursue it or not. If it came as an email, I might not get to it for a few hours.

Edited by DiamondDaveG

As a text message it shows the person making the log entry, what they did (published, archived, found, etc) to what cache and the GC number but nothing more. It does not have the D/T, coords, hint, description, etc.

I did have one recently that didnt have the GC because the cache name was so long the 160 character limit cut it off.

Which was to go is basically personal preference. I prefer the text message so I know right now & can decide to pursue it or not. If it came as an email, I might not get to it for a few hours.

Just what I was looking for.

Thank You

I am assuming you tried all of this but I am just going step by step to see where the problem may be.

From the 'My Profile' page and click on 'Set Up Notifications' link.

Click on the "Create A New Notification" link.

Enter all the relevant information.

Use the correct address from the above list for notifications to your phone.

Make sure the box for 'Enable Notifications' still has the check in it.

Click the 'Create Notification' box.

Just to see if it works, you might want to set a 'wide' coverage area (something like all traditionals found in a 50 mile radius) then wait for the first one (or couple hundred) to roll in. This will tell you it is set correctly. Then go back and modify to fit exactly what you are looking for.

Remember that you will need to set a notification for each type of cache you want notified about. If you want the same notification sent to your email you will need to create another one, etc.

-edit for spelling-

Edited by DiamondDaveG