Predesignated FTF

Now, here is an interesting, new way to play the game! "Cacher ABC has been designated FTF on all caches in this series. If you get there first, please sign Cacher ABC's name as FTF." It is not known if Cacher ABC actually did find any of the caches, but, lo and behold, Cacher ABC definitely claimed FTF on all, even though said cacher was not FTF.

I have no idea what game some people are playing. This is in the realm of arm chair caching. Why bother going out and searching for a cache if you are designated to be FTF, whether you find it or not???

Needless to say, the remainder of this series will be on my 'Ignore List'.

As I understand it, FTF is something that indicates the person that was the First To Find a cache, and not an award to be given out or a commodity to trade. If I were the first person to write my name in the log book, and if FTFs were important to me, I'd consider myself FTF no matter what the cache owner said.

If he truly wanted ABC to be FTF, he should have given ABC the coordinates and let him find the cache before publishing it on this website. That way he could actually have been designated FTF for real. Because FTF is still the First To Find the cache, and not the First To Find The Cache After Publication.

Now, here is an interesting, new way to play the game! "Cacher ABC has been designated FTF on all caches in this series. If you get there first, please sign Cacher ABC's name as FTF." It is not known if Cacher ABC actually did find any of the caches, but, lo and behold, Cacher ABC definitely claimed FTF on all, even though said cacher was not FTF.

I have no idea what game some people are playing. This is in the realm of arm chair caching. Why bother going out and searching for a cache if you are designated to be FTF, whether you find it or not???

HD, you've been around for a while, is this a surprise?

I say log the dang thing and start a logging fight. Or ignore it. :antenna:

Edited by BlueDeuce

I'm not getting this cache. Around here FTF is a mini Amazing Race. The race starts when the cache is published. The winner signs his name in the FTF spot in the logbook and collects his FTF prize. Edited by TrailGators

OK,maybe it is lame, maybe it isn't exactly how most of us play...but what would make you boycot the hides??

3. Personal attacks and inflammatory behavior will not be tolerated. If you want to praise or criticize, give examples as to why it is good or bad. General attacks on a person or idea will not be tolerated.

I'm sorry BD, I won't do that to you again. :antenna:

I agree with Rockin' Roddy. If these were the type of caches I like, and wouldn't turn up on my extensive ignore list otherwise, I would probably still find them. I mean I totally disagree with Travel Bug prison's but I've still found several of them.

It could just be a joke. I can see someone with a warped sense of humor setting up something like that.

Example, the local micro hater suddenly starts getting the FTF on a bunch of skirtlifters........... :antenna::D

Hmm, why do I get the sense that a certain grumpy cacher has gotten an idea..........

It could just be a joke. I can see someone with a warped sense of humor setting up something like that.

Example, the local micro hater suddenly starts getting the FTF on a bunch of skirtlifters........... :antenna::D

Hmm, why do I get the sense that a certain grumpy cacher has gotten an idea..........

This makes sense. That's probably what is happening here.

3. Personal attacks and inflammatory behavior will not be tolerated. If you want to praise or criticize, give examples as to why it is good or bad. General attacks on a person or idea will not be tolerated.

Seems HD justified himself sufficiently to not be considered flaming. The only person I see falling under that rule here might be flask, and, well... flask will be flask.

As for my two cents, I think 'awarding' FTFs in the way the OP described is -- pardon the coarse language, I feel strongly about this -- borderline retarded. By definition, 'FTF' means 'first to find'. I can understand, if not agree with the practice itself, that pre-releasing coords to friends in order to channel FTFs to certain people has at least an atom of legitimacy, because the finder went out and actually made a find. The practice described in the first post, however, is armchairing, which Groundspeak itself is staunchly against. It's grounds for immediate deletion of a log with extreme prejudice by the CO, and really is not even geocaching because there is no 'get up and get out' involved. Non-finding loggers have their own special circle in the depths of the Inferno, just below traitors and just above morbidly obese people who fall asleep and drool on your shoulder on long airplane trips.

However, I reserve the right to make exceptions to this vitriol in extreme circumstances, of which I can think of exactly one right now. A cache not far from my home coords was place in honor of a cacher who had just died, and the first page of the log was left blank for him. No one claimed the FTF, out of respect.

3.5 to 4.5 terrain, not to mention the heavy snow and ice in the last two days.

Why bother going out and searching for a cache if you are designated to be FTF, whether you find it or not???

Because I don't care about FTF and I haven't found it yet.

(I'm not the cacher, nor does the practice make sense to me. I'm just answering the rhetorical).

Edit to add: On second thought, I guess I don't know that I'm not the cacher. Maybe I am. But no one has told me about my new FTFs if I am.

Edited by Dinoprophet

I'm sorry BD, I won't do that to you again. :antenna:

I agree with Rockin' Roddy. If these were the type of caches I like, and wouldn't turn up on my extensive ignore list otherwise, I would probably still find them. I mean I totally disagree with Travel Bug prison's but I've still found several of them.

RR knows I wouldn't just dump something like that on him.

This is in the realm of arm chair caching. Why bother going out and searching for a cache if you are designated to be FTF, whether you find it or not???

He can call himself whatever he wants. Doesn't make him FTF. You know it, I know it, everyone else knows it and I'm sure this person knows it too.

I got my 1st FTF today right between the drunken bee dance and the boogie dance....... wouldnt dream of not bein there to feel it (also trying to lose this tadpole designation)

I view it as much ado about nothing. My thoughts are, whoever got to the cache first, and signed the log first, was the FTF. Obviously, my views are not universal. If the cache happened to interest me, (3.5 to 4.5 terrain, sounds like fun!), I'd certainly go hunt them. If I was in the mood to entertain foolishness, I might even acquiesce to the odd FTF request.

I don't see anything here worth getting worked up over. It's a cache. Find it, log it, repeat.

Now, here is an interesting, new way to play the game! "Cacher ABC has been designated FTF on all caches in this series. If you get there first, please sign Cacher ABC's name as FTF."

Bizarre :D I think that if I got to the cache first I would be very tempted to write the first log as "Cacher ABC - FTFTF " *

MrsB ;)

*Failed to first to find. :D

I think on my next series of caches I'm going to give the FTF to the second to find.

You could auction it off to the Highest bidder and delete all the low non-winning bid logs

Place the listing on e-bay and link to it with the cache page. The winning bid would get the 'code word' required to complete the ALR. Of course the proceeds would be donated to charity.

Edited by WatchDog2020

I view it as much ado about nothing. My thoughts are, whoever got to the cache first, and signed the log first, was the FTF. Obviously, my views are not universal. If the cache happened to interest me, (3.5 to 4.5 terrain, sounds like fun!), I'd certainly go hunt them. If I was in the mood to entertain foolishness, I might even acquiesce to the odd FTF request.

I don't see anything here worth getting worked up over. It's a cache. Find it, log it, repeat.

I'm with the Riffster here, no big deal! People can will do as they please, I will know the truth and that's all that matters to me! Since I don't keep a list of my FTFs or even know how many I have anymore, it's really nothing to me at all!!

You could auction it off to the Highest bidder and delete all the low non-winning bid logs

I might'a expected that if it were Illinois. I think the term is called, "Governor's Cache". :D

I gotta wonder about how it/they got by w/o raising the reviewer's curiosity. Is it/they listed as an '?' due to the ALR?

(rhetorical)

~*

Edited by Star*Hopper

Perhaps it's their way of honoring a recently deceased area cacher. Is the cache still alive.

It seems a really weird way to "honor" anyone...but if a cacher is deceased, how could they POSSIBLY log the cache (as FTF or anything)??? :D

I think all of my future hides will have a random FTF honor...I'll wait for a few months and then randomly "award" the "honor" to someone who's found the cache. heck, why should I limit myself, I'll sell raffle tickets and draw a "winner". no need to waste time searching, just send me your $1 entry fee. :D

Saw another designated FTF cache a couple of years ago. Initially the posts were "stupid idea" "retarded concept", "doesn't matter if it's reserved FTF is FTF" and such. I was one of those. Still am for most caches. When the full story came out it all made sense. Then I changed my mind.

I'd need to know more about what's going on with the series and why, but until then "stupid idea".

I'm sorry BD, I won't do that to you again. :laughing:

I think you have to greet crazy with crazy. It looks to me that the honor of last to find was left wide open. Maybe you could find it the cache and then inquire if this position was spoken for too? If denied.. I would stomp my feet, make a big fuss, and then demand an explanation.

In reality, I wouldn't do anything at all except come on in here and tell ya'll about it.

Example, the local micro hater suddenly starts getting the FTF on a bunch of skirtlifters........... :):)

3.5 to 4.5 terrain, not to mention the heavy snow and ice in the last two days.

OK, maybe it's the local who won't go for anything but parking lot micro's.............................

OK, the idea is lame on the face of it, I could see it if it were a "tribute" to a recently deceased cacher, or for a cacher who is facing some serious medical problems that keep them from the sport, but even then, juts one cache, not a whole series.

OK, the idea is lame on the face of it, I could see it if it were a "tribute" to a recently deceased cacher, or for a cacher who is facing some serious medical problems that keep them from the sport, but even then, juts one cache, not a whole series.

if they have medical problems, why do they need a gimme FTF?

it would be suitable to hide things they can find, but creating a contest only they can win is on a level of contempt far below tee-ball and "everybody gets first place".

FTF only means something if the outcome is in doubt.

I recently saw this on a cache listing in my neck of the woods. Apparently, though, the cache was part of a birthday event for a geo-kid, placed by the family...and there was a special birthday swag-bag in there for her. I can see honoring that.

As for others doing it...if you're going to designate a FTF, I'd think you'd better list a darn good reason in the GC.com listing so others understand why you're doing it (like the one in my area). Other than that...this is treasure hunting, may the best hunter win :)

Then again, I'm super-new at this hobby, so I may not have enough salt on my shoulders (as we used to say on the submarine) to hold that opinion :)

Interesting. No indication as to why this arrangement has been set up?

I just don't understand how people can claim that someone was the first to find if they didn't find it first.

Ha...ha...

I don't understand how people in our area log their own caches as finds and sign others names as FTF, but it still happens on a regular basis! :) This hobby never ceases to amaze us...just when you think you've seen it all....

Then again, I'm super-new at this hobby, so I may not have enough salt on my shoulders (as we used to say on the submarine) to hold that opinion :)
I dunno, but some things don't require any "salt on your shoulders," simply a touch of common sense.

I bet you didn't even have to get on the boat to know you wouldn't want to dive with the hatch open...

I recently put out a Wherigo cache as part of an event that included a Wherigo seminar. Because I didn't want people running for FTF, I made it clear there would be no FTF for that cache. It was for educational purposes and I wanted everyone to enjoy the cartridge and not worry about who got there first.

Then again, I'm super-new at this hobby, so I may not have enough salt on my shoulders (as we used to say on the submarine) to hold that opinion :laughing:
I dunno, but some things don't require any "salt on your shoulders," simply a touch of common sense.

I bet you didn't even have to get on the boat to know you wouldn't want to dive with the hatch open...

Whoa! You mean that according to your rulebook, I cannot claim FTF on my own caches? Who would have known? Wow!

:):)

:laughing::laughing:

Whoa! You mean that according to your rulebook, I cannot claim FTF on my own caches? Who would have known? Wow!

Vinny, given the memory lapses you were telling us about having, you might have an argument for claiming a find on your own cache.

What? You don't remember about telling us about the memory losses? Sounds like they're getting worse...

:)

:)

I recently put out a Wherigo cache as part of an event that included a Wherigo seminar. Because I didn't want people running for FTF, I made it clear there would be no FTF for that cache. It was for educational purposes and I wanted everyone to enjoy the cartridge and not worry about who got there first.

that's just silly.

all you're doing is preventing people from proclaiming themselves FTF in the log.

unless you live in an alternate universe, SOMEBODY will find that cache first.

that's just silly.

all you're doing is preventing people from proclaiming themselves FTF in the log.

flask, I sometimes visit alternate dimensional worlds via my time-space/interdimensional portal. What is really funny is that on one of my trips, one that I made about five months ago, I met a human from our world while I was visiting another dimensional world, and she turned out to be from our current era, and she also turned to be a geocacher (although she only seems to have about 28 finds to date.) Weird! Gives new meaning to the phrase "Small world!"!

that's just silly.

flask, I sometimes visit alternate dimensional worlds via my time-space/interdimensional portal. What is really funny is that on one of my trips, one that I made about five months ago, I met a human from our world while I was visiting another dimensional world, and she turned out to be from our current era, and she also turned to be a geocacher (although she only seems to have about 28 finds to date.) Weird! Gives new meaning to the phrase "Small world!"!

Wouldn't that be "small worlds"?

We had one hide here recently that was published at the wee hours of the morning....think about 3am. I just happened to be on the computer and grabbed my gear and did one last check on cache page before I head out for the FTF mission. WHen I reread it, I realized that this cache was placed in honor of a certain teams 1000 cache (they had 999 and some caching friends did this as the 1000) and asked politely if everyone would give them the FTF on it and wait to find it until they did so first. No one minded doing that. But no one went and sought it out first. I think the what the situation the OP said about is not playing the game right. FTF should be as another said a mini Amazing Race. There are always special situations like I the one I mentioned, but don't think FTF should be reserved in the way the OP said.

Just my two cents. As far as the caches in the OP, What would have happened if someone else got the FTF and logged it as such? would the cache hider had removed their log and taken away their FTF???

Edited by TEAM HARTSOCK

I don't understand. So you're saying you don't want anybody to be FTF on your cache? Somebody has to be first to find it, so I assume you must mean that you want nobody to search for it. Why would you go through the trouble of making a cache, especially one that involves a lot of work like a Wherigo if you don't want anybody to look for it?

What if somebody does happen to look for it, finds it first, and therefore is the FTF? What will you do then? Archive the listing? That would be too bad, as I'm sure lots of people would like to find the cache if you would just let them.

But good luck anyway with preventing a first finder of your cache! Hopefully it's really hard so nobody sees it.

:D:D:D

One of the reasons that I've never been interested in the first to find game is because of all the personal modifications I've seen cachers use over the years. Many times I've seen log entries where multiple loggers indicate they are "sharing" first to find (sometimes with up to 4 people). How can that be?

We have a local cacher who has on a couple of occasions set up caches specifically for his wife to be first to find. Golly, 'taint those special finds! I've even seen a few caches where everyone is encouraged to log "FTF". In this very forum topic there is a posting by an individual who created their personal guideline of "...I made it clear there would be no FTF for that cache." Does that mean the first person who found it was not really the first person who found it?

Too many variations for me... with over 2000 finds I've never posted a "FTF" and don't plan on it (but should I ever do so, where the heck do I cash in my FTF points?)

One of the reasons that I've never been interested in the first to find game is because of all the personal modifications I've seen cachers use over the years. Many times I've seen log entries where multiple loggers indicate they are "sharing" first to find (sometimes with up to 4 people). How can that be?

We have a local cacher who has on a couple of occasions set up caches specifically for his wife to be first to find. Golly, 'taint those special finds! I've even seen a few caches where everyone is encouraged to log "FTF". In this very forum topic there is a posting by an individual who created their personal guideline of "...I made it clear there would be no FTF for that cache." Does that mean the first person who found it was not really the first person who found it?

Too many variations for me... with over 2000 finds I've never posted a "FTF" and don't plan on it (but should I ever do so, where the heck do I cash in my FTF points?)

It is all pretty silly. Some people seem to think FTF is a commodity to be awarded or withheld. It's a simple fact. Are you the first to find the cache or not? If you are, you are, so it doesn't matter of the owner "gives" the FTF to someone else.

I can proclaim Vinny to be the King of Spain. Doesn't make it so.

...I can proclaim Vinny to be the King of Spain. Doesn't make it so.

I await Vinny's arrival in this thread, confident that he will be able to prove his claim to be the rightful sovereign of Spain in 4 (or less) steps of irrefutable logic.

But that still won't convince me that a predesignated FTF can ever stick. :D

MrsB

that's just silly.

You are right but it prevented a couple of guys from running through the cache. The intent was to allow people without Wherigo players accompany those with a player and get some exposure to Wherigo's. Instead, everyone took their time and passed around the players to see what it was like. A group of about 27 found it all at the same time.

Silly??? That is your opinion. It did what I wanted it to do.