how to download a cache on the gps?

speedsnails

hi,

today we got our very first gps, an orgeon 400t. my children wanted me to download a cache on the oregon, i haven´t the faintest notion how to do this. the want to have all the available information of the cache directly downloaded on the gps. is this possible, and if so what has to be done? so far we have no extra software for the gps neither do i know any extra software, this as a little sideinformation.

tnx very much for your help and guidance

gerhard

Since you aren't are a premium member you have three options.

To download one cache, you need to install the Garmin Communicator plug in (Sorry Lowrance, Delorme and Magellan users, your mfr. hasn't provided one yet. Reports are that Delorme will soon. Magellan? Hah!).

Also install the driver for your unit. It should be on the disk that came with it.

Once you've done this connect your GPS, bring up the cache page and click on the "Send to GPS" button that is toward the the top of the cache page (below the coordinates). Done!

Next method:

1. Go to the search page, key in your Zipcode (or whatever other criteria you wish to search on). You will see a list of the nearest 20 caches. On the right side of each cache is a box. Check the box for each of the caches you want to download.

2. Page toward the bottom and look for "dowload waypoints" button. Click on it.

3. A window will pop up. Select "save to disk" and save it someplace where you can find it.

4. I think with the Oregon (I'm not totally clear on this, as I don't own one) you can connect it and it will act like an external drive. You simply copy that saved file into the GPX folder on your Oregon and you're done.

If you don't have an Oregon then, first you need to install an application like EasyGPS or GSAK on your PC (Google those to find out more). EasyGPS is free and simple. GSAK will cost you some money and is a powerful tool but more complicated).

4. Open up EasyGPS. Click "edit", then "preferences" and select the model of GPS you are using (you only have to do this step once).

5. Connect your GPS to the PC and turn it on.

6. Using EasyGPS, open the file you saved in step 3.

7. In EasyGPS, select GPS, then Send to GPS. When the transfer is complete, you're good to go.

Edited by briansnat

To see the full cache listing on your GPS unit you will need to download the information contained in what is called a GPX file. You can download up to 500 cache listings in a Pocket Query (tutorial). You need to be a premium member to use a PQ ($30 per year). The results of a PQ are then emailed to you as a GPX file. Then just hook up your Oregon via the USB cable - it will appear as a drive on your PC. Place the GPX file on the [drive]:\garmin\gpx folder on the unit and you are ready to go!!

Sounds a bit intimidating but it really isn't!!

Or - you can get them 1 at a time via the Garmin communicator.

hi again,

2 further question aroused. how can i download the track(s) of each geocache? in the above methods i find the location of the cache but not the tracks.

how can i upload our track to the cache?

tnx

gerhard

If someone else has already posted tracks to that cache online somewhere, you can load them to your unit using the instructions here.

Most of the time, when people are talking about the tracks on a gps, they mean the tracklog the gps keeps as you go to the cache. Many people like to save their tracks when they hike trails, or as they go to a cache, so they can upload those to their computer later or follow the track back to their car if needed.

Edited by Neos2

If someone else has already posted tracks to that cache online somewhere, you can load them to your unit using the instructions here.

Most of the time, when people are talking about the tracks on a gps, they mean the tracklog the gps keeps as you go to the cache. Many people like to save their tracks when they hike trails, or as they go to a cache, so they can upload those to their computer later or follow the track back to their car if needed.

hi neos2,

tnx for your reply. as i am a bloody beginner the information on the mentioned link is far too unspecific for me. i would need a step by step list and i am missing the knowledge and experience if the mentioned software MotionBased is fitting my needs. but i will search this site a little bit more.

wondering where all the other gps-user learned up-/download their tracks.

best greetings

gerhard