Wherigo? What is this?

spacejam1

I've read some of the lit on Wherigo and I am still confused as to what this really is. Sounds interesting for sure! Since I am a newb in caching I figure anything similiar to it might be fun also. My wife also liked the idea of making cartridges for history walks.

Basically, I am asking, is what is this strange thing called Wherigo? What are cartridges? Are they free? What else beside a gps do you need and lastly, What is this about playing Wherigo without actually being in the area of the "game".

Thanks for clearing any of this up for me!

OK, I'll take the questions one at a time.

The Cartridges are small programs that have to be downloaded from the Wherigo website in order to play the "game". They are free.

You need a GPS that can run the Wherigo player, currently those are the Garmin Colorado, Garmin Oregon, and Garmin Nuvi 500. There is also a player that will run on most pocket PC devices that can link to a GPS.

There is a thread on the Wherigo forums that has a list of hardware that is known to work.

Some cartridges can be run on the emulator. The emulator is a part of the Wherigo builder program

Will my Garmin Vista CX work for this.

Belair, unfortunately, no. The only Garmin units that support the Wherigo player are the Colorado and Oregon series and the Nuvi 500.

There is a cacher in your area who has a Colorado and I know is willing to help you with the two in the Watertown NY area, email Geodiving through his profile from one of his earthcaches.