Can you remove POI info from a Garmin map?

Zor

I have been pondering the idea of using custom POI's for my geocaches so I can get around the 1000 waypoint limit. I have used it before but I found it a little annoying.

The problem is that if I load caches as POI's, they don't display past a certain zoom level. But if I adjust the zoom level, then ALL of the POI's show. I'd like to be able to suppress all of the restaurants/hotels/etc POI's and only display the caches or custom POI.

Is there a way to either turn off certain POI's or the ability to edit the mpa directly and remove all of them.

Any ideas?

It depends on the model. Not only that, they like to change how it works from one firmware to the next.... You need to tell us what you are using.

Garmin Legend HCx.

You can adjust the zoom level on this unit but the zoom is for all POI's.

What I would LIKE to do is to set the zoom to as far out as it will go, but have it ONLY display the custom POI's and NONE of the regular POI's.

That's why I was asking if you can edit the map to remove POI data.

Is there a way to either turn off certain POI's or the ability to edit the mpa directly and remove all of them.

Any ideas?

I think the easiest workaround is to keep the caches in a seperat POI sourcefile so they show up as a category, then do your POI search by category. Won't help with the map but it will tell you the nearest cache without seeing the other POI. I suppose you could also set a proximity alarm on them, though I haven't done this.

It's not possible on a 60 series. It's all or none.

Probably not true for the 60 series. It can be done on the 76CSx so I would assume it can be done on the 60's as well.

In Map setup set the following values on the map setup pages.

1. Map setup- General. Set Detail = Less

2. Map setup- Points. Set Map Points = 500m. Set User Waypoints, Street Label and Land Cover = Auto.

With the above settings:

Waypoints will show at all ranges.

Custom POI will show up to 500m range only.

Map POI will show up to 50m range only.

These settings suit me just fine as my normal zoom range when driving or geocaching is 80m - 200m. The Map POI are all suppressed at the these ranges.

If you want to see Custom POI at >500m then increase the Map Points range.

If you want to see Map POI at >50m then increase Detail value.

I tried that on my 60CSX and unfortunately it did not appear to work. Both custom and map POIs appeared and disappeared at the same zoom levels.

Mmmmm. I find that strange seeing the 60 and 76 supposedly run identical firmware. What firmware do you have loaded in your 60CSX? (Menu>Menu>Setup>System>Menu>Software Version) I am using Software V3.70 and GPS SW v3.00.

Do you load separate icons (bmp files) for each of your Custom POI databases? I use different icons for speed cameras, unfound caches, found caches, my multicache waypoints etc.

I have both Garmin NT (Australia) plus 3rd party Garmin format (New Zealand) maps loaded AND showing at the same time in the gps - they do not affect each other as there is over 1500km of water between the maps). Each map has it's own Map POI. I have experimented with Hiding both, so that there is only the Base Map Showing, or hiding each map in turn and found that it makes no difference in the display of Map POI. The settings I gave in the earlier post work equally well in all situations - ie Map POI do not show at ranges >50m regardless of which map I have on the gps screen.

If the 60 can't duplicate what I see, then all I can say is that I am very glad that I bought a 76 and not a 60. :D

:) To have only the one setting (Map Points) to control both Map POI and Custom POI ranges is very poor software design. There should be separate range settings for each POI type. I just wish that Garmin would amend the firmware to add this facility. I certainly never want to see restaurants, ATMs and business icons cluttering up the screen everytime I wish to find one of my Custom POIs, and I am sure that would also go for most of the gps owners.

:) It is strange that the same firmware versions affect the 60's and 76's in different ways.

Edited by BaldEd