Nova Scotia Must Dos

JonInNH1

I am planning for my vacation this summer. (You can't start too soon when caching is involved! :laughing: ) I am headed to Nova Scotia and wanted to know if there were any areas not to miss. I saw a geocoin recently that showed Canada's oldest cache is in Nova Scotia. That cache is on my list. I will probably be visiting most parts of the island. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks for any help in advance. :P

Loads of caches to do.

There are also lots of events happening too and some in the planning stages,

Keep checking the Cache listings for new ones.

Find an Event , join in , there ar elots of freindly cachers to help out,,

Cape Breton Highlands National Park will have an event sometime in the early summer.

I am still working on that one.

Edited by stagunner

Loads of caches to do.

Cape Breton Highlands National Park will have an event sometime in the early summer.

Cape Breton is on our list of places to visit most definitely. So hopefully we will be there when the National Park event happens! We will be there in mid-July sometime... not positive on the dates yet.

I have been reading the caches that are located out there... and there are a lot!!! It is going to be tough to choose which ones to do amongst all the other touristy things we will also be doing! That is why it is good that Jon asked the question so that we know which ones are the ones to definitely do.

And of course I already had Canada's First added to my list. That was a definite!

Loads of caches to do.

Cape Breton is on our list of places to visit most definitely. So hopefully we will be there when the National Park event happens! We will be there in mid-July sometime... not positive on the dates yet.

I have been reading the caches that are located out there... and there are a lot!!! It is going to be tough to choose which ones to do amongst all the other touristy things we will also be doing! That is why it is good that Jon asked the question so that we know which ones are the ones to definitely do.

And of course I already had Canada's First added to my list. That was a definite!

Well, There are alot,, over 1000 on Cape Breton Island alone, I asked a similar question when I visited the Kingston Area this past summer,

On just has to load up the waypoints, chck the maps and go from there.

Hope everyone has fun visiting,,

Edited by stagunner

:D I have given my two cents a few times, so here is a "cut and paste" of previous answers:

A few of my favourites: Hole in The Wall before you get to Truro, and between Truro and Cape Breton Nuttby. this will take you to the highest point in mainland NS. Any of the caches in Truro's Victoria Park and a less crowded spot to watch the tidal bore at this cache.

I really enjoyed Gaspereau River Trail and Sceptred Isle is along the way. Also Duncanson Brook Reservoir - these are in the Annapolis Valley near Wolfville. Nice hikes along not well known trails.

Thanks everyone for your quick responces and suggestions. :D It is always hard to figure out where to go and this will give us somthing to go by. We will be going the last week of July. I didn't even think of looking for an event, another great idea!

Sorry about the "island" reference. :D It has been a long time since I last vistied in 1979. I just noticed today that NS is not an island.

With global warming NS could be an island any year now. The suggestions are all good so far.

Can you tell me a little more of what you like and where you are going and I can tailor it a bit for you. There is some great caches to see here.

Join www.atlanticgeocaching.com and there is a list of people to help you too

df

With global warming NS could be an island any year now. The suggestions are all good so far.

Can you tell me a little more of what you like and where you are going and I can tailor it a bit for you. There is some great caches to see here.

Join www.atlanticgeocaching.com and there is a list of people to help you too

df

Thanks for the offer Dragonflys!

As of right now we are still trying to plan where we are going, (that's why I started here :) ), but this is my general idea.

We will possibly come over on the "Cat" and tour some areas in the South West of NS. Next we will head to the Halifax area and then to Cape Bretton. Depending on how things go we might visit PEI for a bit (so I can get a cache in another province) then head back down through New Brunswick.

I would like to see the tidal surge come in somewhere.

I would like to get some ideas for trails that have a few caches with nice views along them regardless of where they are. I am also guilty of liking power trails also. I plan on keeping the cache difficulty under 4 so my wife doesn't have to wait around too long. I like all types of caches from nanos to ammo cans. My wife is not addicted to caching (but is very understanding!), so I have to keep that in mind when planning. I hope to find around 50 caches while I am there for 5 days or so.

Thanks again!

We will possibly come over on the "Cat" and tour some areas in the South West of NS. Next we will head to the Halifax area and then to Cape Bretton. Depending on how things go we might visit PEI for a bit (so I can get a cache in another province) then head back down through New Brunswick.

Thanks again!

You can try this bookmark for the Provincial parks,

http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.a...2b-4a57ada33f63

it is a good list and the parks are great.

You can alos try thr THREE PROVINCES IN ONE HOUR CHALLENGE, not an official challenge but you ca try to get a Cache in PEI, NB and NS in 60 minutes, if planned correctly it can be fun, hint,, go to the big bridge,,,

Hope to see you on Cape Breton Island

Yarmouth has a bunch around town that are easy to do a walking tour. There is a nice series “Cape Forchu Series]” southwest of Yamouth. Very nice scenery. From Yarmouth to Shelburne there is a “power trail” called welcome to the Boonies (search for “WTTB”. It is about 200 caches that range from PnG to hikes to puzzles to multis.

Going up the coast from Shelburne to Halifax there are numerous beaches. One of my favourites is Carters Beach. Look for GCKWFK.

Along Highway 103 there are many caches that are PnG at almost every exit

At East River,exit 7 on highway 103, is the oldest cache in Canada placed June 28, 2000. GCBBA.

In Halifax the are lots of caches, typical urban stuff as well as parks and trails. Point Pleasant Park in Halifax is a nice walk and has a few caches to find. The boardwalk on the Halifax Waterfront is enjoyable and there is fun multi that is disabled right now GCKC9G. There is a lovely Rails-to-trail in Dartmouth called Cole Harbour Heritage trail that has awesome views and plenty of caches here is a map http://www.trails.gov.ns.ca/SharedUse/hx124.html . As mentioned already there is Peggys Cove which has some wonderful scenery.

To observe the Fundy tide I have an earthcache to watch the tidal bore GC11FBK.

Again there are lots of caches to do on the way to Cape Breton. Take time to do the Cabot Trail, not many caches but breathtaking area Nice little side trip is to Uisge Ban Falls GC1FZ0P. Awesome cachers up there.

In PEI I haven’t done a lot of caching but every one I did do over there was great.

In NB I recommend some time in Moncton, the home of the Uber Cachers. You literally can’t swing a dead cat without hitting cache.

Hope this helps, I am sure I am missing stuff and this is a very quick overview. Let me know if you need anything at all

I will probably be visiting most parts of the island. :huh:

I hope you have a great visit. One thing though- Nova Scotia isn't an island.

One person also said they would be visiting NS,Cape Breton,PEI and NB.For those who do not know Cape Breton is in Nova Scotia.

I will probably be visiting most parts of the island. :huh:

One person also said they would be visiting NS,Cape Breton,PEI and NB.For those who do not know Cape Breton is in Nova Scotia.

That was me that provided that list, Gaftman... but I did say that I was visiting "PEI, Cape Breton, and New Brunswick as well". I did not list Nova Scotia as you have quoted.

And I am very aware that Cape Breton is part of Nova Scotia. I mentioned a specific place in Nova Scotia because we positively know that is where we will be going when we are in that province. We are not positive on the locations in PEI or NB yet.

I will probably be visiting most parts of the island. :rolleyes:

Sure WE know that, but can't we think like we are a province??

The Island reallly does have a unique culture, lanquage, traditions and lots more!!

Failte do Innis leis thar Mille Tashtay" welcome to an island with over a thousand caches.

The Island reallly does have a unique culture, lanquage, traditions and lots more!!

Failte do Innis leis thar Mille Tashtay" welcome to an island with over a thousand caches.

I am looking forward to finding some of those 1000 caches sometime mid July '09!!!

I am looking forward to finding some of those 1000 caches sometime mid July '09!!!

Tha Cape Breton Highlands National Park is having a real good caching event this summer,,,I am helping out so stay tuned for details

Edited by stagunner

Tha Cape Breton Highlands National Park is having a real good caching event this summer,,,I am helping out so stay tuned for details

Thanks for the info... I will definitely watch for the details.

Here are a couple of good ones:

GCY65N - Fox Point Lookoff

GCK5N7 - Economy

Halifax (Keith's Brewery) and waterfront are excellent. Peggy's Cove and Lunenburg are also nice to visit. Note that 'The Ovens' are extremely expensive and not worth the $$ IMHO.

If you have time, I highly recommend you check out the Bay of Fundy in NB -- Alma in particular. <_<

Lyle