Site Suggestion: Notes on Printed Cache Page

JuggoPop

Note:

I have submitted this to Groundspeak using the feedback link and they said I have to submit it here because it would affect everyone... however seeing that not everyone uses the forums (and will miss reading and responding to this) and the fact that a lot of people cache paperlessly (and would not see this addition)... I don't exactly agree with the statement.

But here it is anyway for those of you who want to comment or tell me that it is rated at the bottom of all priorities and all that mess. I'm just putting it here because otherwise I guess the staff at geocaching.com cannot look into adding it.

Suggestion:

Add ability to add notes to the printed cache sheet.

Example:

• Go here: Google Map

• Click the "print" link in the upper right menu.

• On the print page there is a box for notes.

• If you type in this box, then print, it will be on the print out.

Why Do This:

• If you are printing out a few caches on a route or across town and want to order them you can enter the number before printing.

• If you want to add something like "near Jimmy's house, one block back" to help you remember... you could enter it before printing.

• Currently if you print sheets and need to add notes you have to take them off the printer and write on them, then go back to printing more sheets, this way your notes are available during the process.

Who's Going To Complain:

• People who don't want to leave notes.

• People who think it will print an outline of a box on their sheet and don't want to waste ink.

• People who think it will take up needed space.

My Answer To Those People:

• If coded with CSS correctly the border would show on screen but be hidden in the printout. So if it is empty, the final sheet would look eactly as it does today.

• There is room available for small notes on this page.

There you go. Feel free to comment if you must.

This seems like a nice idea. Have a section on the cache page where you could type in whatever you want to print along with the rest of the info. I wouldn't be saved anywhere but it would print.

I must add that I don't care for your attitude that you present in your post. Couldn't you just put forth your suggestion without taking shots at GS and at those who might think about responding to your post? Especially those who might not share your opinion?

This seems like a nice idea. Have a section on the cache page where you could type in whatever you want to print along with the rest of the info. I wouldn't be saved anywhere but it would print.

Yep, you got it. ~ Thanks for the relpy.

I must add that I don't care for your attitude that you present in your post. Couldn't you just put forth your suggestion without taking shots at GS and at those who might think about responding to your post? Especially those who might not share your opinion?

I have responded to this in my other thread. I'll try to tone it down in the future.

But I must say I am not taking shots at GS. I'm just explaining it how it was presented to me. Ideas don't passed along from the feedback email. They have to process here for them to be seen... the rest of my "tone" (which is not meant to be a hateful or rude tone) comes from the fact I really didn't want 20 people coming in just to tell me there are more important things. Just trying to stop it before it happens.

If someone dissagress with my suggestion on its own merit, I don't mind hearing that... but if it is only thrown out because there are other things to take care of first, I just really didn't want to see the thread go down that path.

Thanks again for your comments.

I have responded to this in my other thread. I'll try to tone it down in the future.

But I must say I am not taking shots at GS. I'm just explaining it how it was presented to me. Ideas don't passed along from the feedback email. They have to process here for them to be seen... the rest of my "tone" (which is not meant to be a hateful or rude tone) comes from the fact I really didn't want 20 people coming in just to tell me there are more important things. Just trying to stop it before it happens.

If someone dissagress with my suggestion on its own merit, I don't mind hearing that... but if it is only thrown out because there are other things to take care of first, I just really didn't want to see the thread go down that path.

My apologies if I misinterpreted your tone. I do like this suggestion for notes.

I don't want to sound like a naysayer but the way this is described I can't help but wonder why you don't just print out the cache page and write your notes on the printed page (or on the back if you need more room) with a pen or pencil?

I think a more interesting suggestion would be one that allows users to make private notes on any cache page that are saved online and can be seen whenever they view the page, print it out, or download a GPX file. Perhaps a new log type called private note that is only displayed to the user who posted that log and always appears as the first log. Several people have asked for this feature to store puzzle solutions or other information they want to have when they go to look for that cache. The general workaround that has been given to these people is to add the cache to a private bookmark list and use the current capability of adding notes to the bookmark list. The problem is that these notes are not displayed or printed with the cache page.

I love it, you feel people will disagree so you head them off with your attitude! Well, as you may note, not one person has dismissed your idea (nor did anyone dismiss the other idea, just put it in perspective to other ideas), some have done just as was done in the other thread, gave work-arounds to help you until TPTB deem this a needed addition.

I would add that I think there are plenty (and I mean plenty) of ways to do just what you've asked without changing anything, without giving more work to the PTB. Start a worksheet, keep a notebook, start paperless caching and add the notes to your PDA etc...hope you find something that helps you until you see your idea come to life!