Oregon questions

rdunnion

I have a couple questions about the Oregon that I can't find the answer to.

1. Will adding a micro-SD card expand the amount of geocaches I can hold. If not than what's the use of it other than using the pre-loaded maps you can buy on cards?

2. Does everyone else have to calibrate their compass everytime you power this thing on?

So far I love my Oregon, but these questions have been bugging me. Thanks. - Ryan

1. Will adding a micro-SD card expand the amount of geocaches I can hold. If not than what's the use of it other than using the pre-loaded maps you can buy on cards?

2. Does everyone else have to calibrate their compass everytime you power this thing on?

So far I love my Oregon, but these questions have been bugging me. Thanks. - Ryan

1. I don't think it will increase the number of caches you can load. The advantage of the card for me is the ability to have one mapset on the unit (topo) and a second map set on the card (CN NA) That is a very big advantage.

2. You only have to recalibrate the compass after you change batteries.

I could be wrong but I think there is enough room for both maps on the Oregon as is. I have mine set to "battery save" which I think turns the unit off after a few minutes kind of like sleep mode on a pc. Anyways I haven't tested it extensively but it seems like I need to calibrate after each time it sleeps. I'm gonna call Garmin tomorrow and see if I should RMA it. Thanks for the info :)

You are limited to 2000 geocaches, and 1000 waypoints. The SD card will hold maps, photos, and custom POI's (I believe as many as the card will hold). I'm not even sure if you can put geocaches on the sd card, I had a problem when I did that.

That stinks. It would be awesome if I could hold as many Geocaches as my card could hold. I could map out the whole country!! Oh well, maybe next series.

The SD card doesn't change the firmware limits of 2000 geocaches and/or 200 GPX files. The SD card does allow for storing additional maps on that won't fit into the internal memory. You can get maps from sources other than Garmin and by placing them on the SD card you can expand the capabilities of your GPSr. I also use my SD card for storing geocaches to virtually expand the limits of the GPSr. The GPSr will load GPX files in the /Garmin/GPX folder on the GPSr or on the SD card. I do not place any GPX files on the GPSr itself, and store all of them on my SD card. I place about 9000 geocaches split across about 50 different GPX files on my SD card, and using my PDA, I move files into the /Garmin/GPX folder based on where I happen to be caching. THis allows me to essentially have access to all 9000 geocaches by moving a few GPX files around.

As for the compass, you should re-calibrate the compass after every battery change. I have not had near as many problems with the compass in my Oregon as I had with the one in my Colorado. On my Colorado, I would have to re-calibrate the compass after almost every cache find. With my Oregon, I have ony calibrated it once in the 3-4 weeks I've had it.

You are limited to 2000 geocaches, and 1000 waypoints. The SD card will hold maps, photos, and custom POI's (I believe as many as the card will hold). I'm not even sure if you can put geocaches on the sd card, I had a problem when I did that.

That stinks. It would be awesome if I could hold as many Geocaches as my card could hold. I could map out the whole country!! Oh well, maybe next series.

You can. The first 2000 can be geocaches. The rest can be POI's. There is a GSAK export macro that allows you to export all the cache info to a POI.

However, I can't imagine needing more than 2000 caches.

You can. The first 2000 can be geocaches. The rest can be POI's. There is a GSAK export macro that allows you to export all the cache info to a POI.

However, I can't imagine needing more than 2000 caches.

Thats not a bad idea. I will look for that macro and try it out tonight. I know it sounds like a lot of caches but I travel a lot and it would be nice to have everything in one spot so I could geocache anywhere. I have over 2000 caches within 60 miles of my home so you can see how it can add up.

The SD card doesn't change the firmware limits of 2000 geocaches and/or 200 GPX files. The SD card does allow for storing additional maps on that won't fit into the internal memory. You can get maps from sources other than Garmin and by placing them on the SD card you can expand the capabilities of your GPSr. I also use my SD card for storing geocaches to virtually expand the limits of the GPSr. The GPSr will load GPX files in the /Garmin/GPX folder on the GPSr or on the SD card. I do not place any GPX files on the GPSr itself, and store all of them on my SD card. I place about 9000 geocaches split across about 50 different GPX files on my SD card, and using my PDA, I move files into the /Garmin/GPX folder based on where I happen to be caching. THis allows me to essentially have access to all 9000 geocaches by moving a few GPX files around.

As for the compass, you should re-calibrate the compass after every battery change. I have not had near as many problems with the compass in my Oregon as I had with the one in my Colorado. On my Colorado, I would have to re-calibrate the compass after almost every cache find. With my Oregon, I have ony calibrated it once in the 3-4 weeks I've had it.

Thats clever Geekboy. I could do the same but would have to use my laptop to move the files. I take it your PDA has a usb port? It seems like I'm recalibrating with every cache. I am definitely talking to Garmin about this.

I also store alternate GPX files on the card to move around. Also, I think of anything with memory as a way to move files around. Say you are at a friends and they have pictures you want. You've got your Garmin with an SD card, you've got a place to throw them till you go home.

I have very seldom HAD to calibrate my compass. What firmware are you using?

I never calibrate my compass as it is turned off all the time. No need for it while caching. As long as you move the arrow points to the cache. Big plus, you don't have to hold level. Another plus - saves of batteries.

I find the compass on the OR quite useful. I never used the compass on my 60CSx or the CO as I found them unreliable but the OR seems to work very well.

I find the compass on the OR quite useful. I never used the compass on my 60CSx or the CO as I found them unreliable but the OR seems to work very well.

Just curious, How does the compass help during geocaching?

Of my 3000+ caches, I have never had the compass on. I follow the arrow till I get real close then I look around. If I need adjustment from there, I just look at the distance to cache and walk in the direction where numbers decrease. We have done it this way on our Magellan's, 60's, CO's and OR's. I have no idea as to why I would use the compass feature. On the Oregon, Garmin says it gets best reception with the top pointing up, which you can't (shouldn't) do with the compass on. I also read somewhere that using the compass puts a 20% drain on the batteries.

I used to cache with a Magellan Meridian and then a Magellan CrossoverGPS, neither of which had an electronic compass. I recently bought the Oregon 300 and wasn't sure that I needed the electronic compass while caching. I was just in a situation where the compass came in handy. I was in thick brush where I couldn't move far enough in a straight line to get an accurate pointer so I turned on the compass and spun around until it pointed towards the cache. Found the cache immediately after that.

Only these special times will I use the electronic compass for caching.

JetSkier

First off, since I use rechargeable batteries, the extra compass drain is not an issue for me.

Jetskier has given a good example of the use with geocaching. I don't always use the compass to get to ground zero. I too look for the 'distance to destination' to decrease.

The point I was making is the OR compass seems much more effective than the CO or the 60.

First off, since I use rechargeable batteries, the extra compass drain is not an issue for me.

Jetskier has given a good example of the use with geocaching. I don't always use the compass to get to ground zero. I too look for the 'distance to destination' to decrease.

The point I was making is the OR compass seems much more effective than the CO or the 60.

I think most people use rechargeable batteries. But a 12 hour geocache raid puts a strain on them.

The point "I" was making was by turning the compass off for geocaching, you NEVER have to recalibrate it. You don't really need it to geocache! I live in the same area as Jetskier and have never been unable to move around.

It's good to hear that the compass works better in the OR because I know it was terrible on the 60's and I never really tested it on the CO's or the our OR's

Thats clever Geekboy. I could do the same but would have to use my laptop to move the files. I take it your PDA has a usb port? It seems like I'm recalibrating with every cache. I am definitely talking to Garmin about this.

My PDA has an SD card socket. When I was caching with my Colorado 300 I would just pul the SD card out of it and place it into the SD card socket in my PDA. Since I have gotten my Oregon 400t, I have not had to do this, but I do carry my micro-SD adapter with my PDA now. The one time I had gotten close to this, I used my Colorado 300/PDA then I performed my first "wireless transfer" to send the missing cache to my Oregon :laughing:

Granted, having to pull the batteries to get to the micro-SD card, and working with the small card will be a bit more awkward that working with a full-sized SD card. Since I do this manipulation so infrequently, I think I can handle that...

Connect your Oregon to your PC and it should show up as a drive letter. Copy everything on that drive to a directory on your hard drive and/or burn a DVD. It'll take about 2 hrs because you need to copy one large file which contains the maps.

Does this mean that you can save and delete the original map and free up the memory for different maps, such as the 2009 version when it comes out, or even the 2008 version from the DVD (if you also have the DVD) so that you can use the computer to plan routes, etc. (which you can't do with the built-in maps on the 400t)?

I'm still weighing the advantages/disadvantages between the 300 and 400t, and given that I already have the Topo 2008 DVD, I was leaning towards the 300 because 1) I don't really need the whole US available at once (map segment limit on the 300), and 2) I like the capability of planning routes on the PC. I figured that the 400t's larger memory wouldn't be useful since it was used for the built in topo map, but if I can remove this map and free up memory, this could still be an advantage over the 300.

Thanks for any feedback on this,

Larry

Edited by lalittle

Yes, you can remove/update the built-in maps to free memory (or load from the 2008 Topo DVD).

http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Product+Information#toc7

Thanks for the confirmation. I had looked at the wiki (and actually that exact page), but it doesn't say what happens when you delete the built-in maps -- i.e. if the memory is then accessible to the user.

On this subject, I have a couple other questions regarding the memory:

- Is there any difference in access speed between the built-in memory and and Micro SD card?

- When you load maps onto the unit, does it just use the "next available" memory spot, or do you have to select where you want a map to go? Is there ever a possibility of a map file being "split" across both the built-in memory and the micro SD card?

- When you load both a City Navigator map AND a Topo map onto the unit, is this done in two separate operations? Do you end up with two separate map files, or does the upload process just append a single map file with the new map info?

- Finally (and most importantly), lets say I had a 300 and a 400t. I put a large SD card in both of them (8GB). I delete the built in map on the 400t and load the Topo AND City Nav maps, and I load the exact same maps on the 300. Would either one offer ANY advantages over the other? Any differences in speed or functionality at ALL?

Thanks,

Larry

For those who have experience with both the Colorado and Oregon: Is the Oregon that much better than the Colorado? Is it worth the cost of upgrading? Is the Colorado history? :D

Do a search of the forum and you will find this topic beat to death.

My personal experience with the CO was horrible. Since Garmin gave me an Oregon I have had no trouble.

If you are considering one or the other, I suggest you contact someone like REI and ask why they no longer carry the CO. Also, since one major difference is rotary wheel vs. touchscreen, go to a retailer that has both and try them.

And last, make sure they have a generous returns policy.