Cache Co-ords from TB's

Jonovich

Hi folks,

If a puzzle cache has it's co-ords derived from TB's that have to be intercepted, such as the infamous Interception cache, is there a guideline or rule that states the cache listing page has to explain this? Or could that be part of the Puzzle... Working out you need to discover something else first?

Cheers,

Jon.

Hi folks,

If a puzzle cache has it's co-ords derived from TB's that have to be intercepted, such as the infamous Interception cache, is there a guideline or rule that states the cache listing page has to explain this? Or could that be part of the Puzzle... Working out you need to discover something else first?

Cheers,

Jon.

Jonathan :laughing:

I think it a risky task creating a Puzzle cache derived from TB's only because of how many that are lost/forgotten about.

ginger4x4

Thanks MrsB & Graham,

It was part of the guidelines that I was a bit worried about...

The information needed to solve the puzzle must be available to the general caching community and the puzzle should be solvable from the information provided on the cache page.

I read that as if I didn't explain the TB's role in the cache solving then it wouldn't be published, as the final cache co-ords couldn't be derived from the cache page.

J

The Wombles Signature cache GCHDWE is an example of how to get around the disappearing TBs.

In order to find their mystery cache you need to find at least two of the multiple Wombles signature keyrings. Each keyring has either the Northing or Westing of the mystery cache, so you need to find BOTH to locate the cache itself. The keyrings are supposed to travel around the local caches but are not trackable which makes finding them more of a challenge. This system works very well, but I don't know how many womble keyrings they have put out in circulation.

We've got a similar one down here - GC1BNC5 - where you have to find a particular Geocoin which should always be somewhere in Hampshire. You then use the tracking number of the geocoin to work out the final cache location.

It's a great idea and one I certainly intend to get, when I can get to the Geocoin!

Ermm.. kay.. but the question is, does the cache page tell you that the co-ords are on a TB though?

J

We've got a similar one down here - GC1BNC5 - where you have to find a particular Geocoin which should always be somewhere in Hampshire. You then use the tracking number of the geocoin to work out the final cache location.

It's a great idea and one I certainly intend to get, when I can get to the Geocoin!

Ermm.. kay.. but the question is, does the cache page tell you that the co-ords are on a TB though?

J

Yep.

Do you have some sort of devious plan for giving a hint, or a nudge, on the cache page which will (eventually) give the puzzler the idea, "Oh, I think I'll need to search for a TB somewhere." ?

MrsB

Nope... No mention at all of TB's on the cache page. What I am asking is, would you as a cacher think of looking at my TB inventory page and finding a TB or two that maybe loosely related in theme to the cache and then going to the trouble of finding them as part of the puzzle cache resolution? Likewise, the TB's would have no mention at all of the cache, but may somewhere about there design have some co-ordinate formatted digits on them....

J

Do you have some sort of devious plan for giving a hint, or a nudge, on the cache page which will (eventually) give the puzzler the idea, "Oh, I think I'll need to search for a TB somewhere." ?

MrsB

Nope... No mention at all of TB's on the cache page. What I am asking is, would you as a cacher think of looking at my TB inventory page and finding a TB or two that maybe loosely related in theme to the cache and then going to the trouble of finding them as part of the puzzle cache resolution? Likewise, the TB's would have no mention at all of the cache, but may somewhere about there design have some co-ordinate formatted digits on them....

J

I have a couple of caches which use this technique. One of them makes no mention of the TB's; what's more, there are loads of them out there but only two that are of use (N and W). There is a coded clue in the text, but otherwise you just have to "twig" after you've found some of the travellers.

In case one of the critical pair disappears, the puzzle can be changed to use any of the other travellers, which is why there are so many. Once you find the relevant pair, you have to figure out how these give you the key to two more which have the cache coordinates hidden amongst the cache logs (you don't need to physically find these two bugs; they're in Australia anyway).

Hidden within the text of "Something else" you find with the bugs you collected tells you which logs to study in particular, using some detective work based on the story in the cache description. Simple enough; I'd better not give away anything more, as several finders almost lost their minds on the hunt and wouldn't appreciate others finding it easy!

Another one I "look after" doesn't even mention any TB (or anything at all, in fact). Nor is there any connection with Happy Humphrey. It was still found within a couple of days.

The Wombles Signature cache GCHDWE is an example of how to get around the disappearing TBs.

In order to find their mystery cache you need to find at least two of the multiple Wombles signature keyrings. Each keyring has either the Northing or Westing of the mystery cache, so you need to find BOTH to locate the cache itself. The keyrings are supposed to travel around the local caches but are not trackable which makes finding them more of a challenge. This system works very well, but I don't know how many womble keyrings they have put out in circulation.

There were also a couple of wombles hidden in specific caches as well. I came across one of them in East Anglia :):laughing: - well off its patch.

Having emailed the owner and remembereing to do it I posted the 'lost' womble back to its owner. It should be back wher it belongs by now. :D