Survey on paperless caching devices

ras_oscar

I go about it a little different than most , I think. I cache with the wife. She has a blackberry with internet access. I run the gps and she runs the blackberry. We get done with a cache, we can log the find before ever leaving the site. Then on to the next! Quite simple with two people. I just download all caches within any area we might go to my poi folder before we leave.

I go about it a little different than most , I think. I cache with the wife. She has a blackberry with internet access. I run the gps and she runs the blackberry. We get done with a cache, we can log the find before ever leaving the site. Then on to the next! Quite simple with two people. I just download all caches within any area we might go to my poi folder before we leave.

LOL! And she doesn't need batteries.

I used to have a Palm Tungsten and then a Palm T|X + Cachemate in each case for paperless, overkill but good units. I then got a Blackberry + Cacheberry which was also very good. I now just use an Oregon GPS.

I just got a new Oregon 300 and that's what I use for paperless caching. After a day (or night) of caching, you can download the caches you've logged on the unit, along with any notes, into the Field Notes section of your account page. Then you can select them one-by-one for logging into geocaching.com. I would highly recommend the Oregon series for paperless caching.

JetSkier

PALM M515 + CacheMate

Palm M515 + Cradle: $29

CacheMate: $10

Car Adapter (keep it charged in the field): $7

Although not required, I use GSAK to keep everything organized and simply export to PALM.

Was very easy to setup and easy to use.

The M515 is very easy to read in all lighting conditions.

David

I'd be interested on learning what device people are using for paperless caching. Seems in reading the forums that the palm is most widely supported. If you're successfully paperless caching, please reply with make model and software you're using.

Blackberry 8130 loaded with CacheBerry software

I use an Oregon 300 and it works great. There are some very minor glitches such as pictures don't get loaded and sometimes the html can get messed up. However, that helped in one incident. The owner had hidden the location in white text on the cache page. When it got to the OR, it was black. LOL.

My caching friend just got an iPhone and it is mind blowing. Between his google maps and his geocaching app he is good to go everywhere. Of course, he hasn't got his first bill yet.

Palm Centro + Spinner + Sunrise XP + Plucker Viewer

Since Spinner has templates anyone can customize, I added topo and aerial maps to the page. And since the Centro is a 3G device, I also added links to the live cache pages (one standard, and one with all logs displayed). So If I want to read more past logs than I have, they're just a couple of clicks away.

I use the basic Palm Memo for logging on-site field notes. When I get home, I Bluetooth the memo to my PC, and do a single copy-and-paste of the entire memo text to a script field, which automates the logging process. Works much better than the Cachemate multiple-copy solution.

Edited by Prime Suspect

I have a Nokia E51 with external Bluetooth GPS (QStarz) and use a combination of Geocache Navigator, UTM Data, Google Maps for Mobile, GPSGate depending on what I'm doing, and I've also got my own Ordnance Survey OpenSpaces pages to get detailed maps. I send myself the coordinates/cache page of any caches I think might be out of range of the phone signal and sync my mail before I leave the house.

I still carry paper maps and a compass of course :laughing:

PALM M515 + CacheMate

Although not required, I use GSAK to keep everything organized and simply export to PALM.

David

We have the same set-up except that we have a TRGPro PDA which is a Palm III clone.

I'd be interested on learning what device people are using for paperless caching. Seems in reading the forums that the palm is most widely supported. If you're successfully paperless caching, please reply with make model and software you're using.

Other than (not very successfully) memorizing the cache details before setting out, I use a combination of Nuvi 660 with GSAK macro and Cachemate on an old Palm Vx.

I haven't perfected the flow of logging on Cachemate then updating geocaching.com automatically yet, but it hasn't been an issue for me so far since I haven't found more than 10 caches in one outing, and remembering what to log is not a problem. I try to and almost always manage to write something unique for each log entry too instead of cutting and pasting - I think the cache owners deserve at least that much from me.

Blackberry Curve with Cacheberry. I've just gone paperless, and so far love Cacheberry. It was easy to set up and the support and forums have been great. I think it's a great buy at $14.95

OldA'sFan

EasyGPS Companion combines several loc. files into one. Make copy of combined file.

1) To Cachemate File Converter then HotSync to PalmIIIxe.

2) To EasyGPS, send to Garmin 76S.

Sony Ericsson W810i with Opera mini browser, +/-300 cache web pages saved.

GO CACHING!

HotSync Cachemate

Soon to be using Express Logger to upload logs.

Aside from the monthly web charge (which I would have whether I cached or not) all free.

Used to use:

GSAK

Treo (Palm)

Cachemate

Since work forced me to switch to a Blackberry (sure miss the Treo!)

I now use:

GSAK

BB Curve

Cacheberry

I prefer the Treo over the BB, but have to say I really am enjoying using Cacheberry...

And of course, GSAK is the engine that makes it all possible!

PALM M515 + CacheMate

David

Where could I pick up a M515 for $29? The best price I've come across is a refurbished one with cradle and charger for $39. I've never used a PDA before, but I purchased a Vista HCx and wanted one for paperless.

Now I use the Oregon 400t and absolutely love it. You download the caches and you are done.

Before I used the 60CSx and my Blackberry with Cacheberry which works really great.

Before that I used the Vista C with a PalmPilot and MobiPocket Reader. In order to create the eBooks that can be read by MobiPocket Reader I used GSAK and MobiPocket Creator.

Edited by Orienteering

iPod Touch with the Groundspeak application installed. The only thing that really sucks is that I have to plug in the waypoints manually for any caches I plan to visit. Pocket queries would be a nice feature for the app to recognize.

There is an app I have installed that will allow me to upload various recognized file formats to a designated storage space. This particular app will recognize both PDF's and HTML pages among other standard formats. So I'm currently looking for a possible alternative that can employ until pocket queries are recognized by the official Geocaching app.

PALM M515 + CacheMate

David

Where could I pick up a M515 for $29? The best price I've come across is a refurbished one with cradle and charger for $39. I've never used a PDA before, but I purchased a Vista HCx and wanted one for paperless.

I feel for you, I truly do! :D:D;)

I save a text file to the Notes directory on a Ipod Nano 2nd generation for each geocache.

When viewing the cache page on the Geocaching site, click on the- Print: simple, then click- Page: Save as, choose- Text file (*.txt) and the file is saved to my harddrive with the cache number.

Be sure to enable the Ipod for disk use and then copy all the txt files to the Notes directory to the Ipod.

I've been trying to use the Notes feature on my Keybo cell phone, but I haven't been successful yet.

...Terry

Delorme PN-40. 800 characters of the cache page (maybe more soon in the next firmware revision). Delorme set up an intelligent sort (e.g. hint near the top, so it doesn't get truncated). Seven for seven caches today, no need for paper or the PDA. Although, I still (so far) carry my Palm Tungsten T3 with Cachemate (perfect setup for caches & benchmarks).

As far as I'm concerned, the setup is darn near ideal.

OLDEST setup: Palm m130 with Cachemate and Mobipocket Reader.

2006 to 2008: Sprint Fusic phone with Geocache Navigator, and Map60CSx

Oct 08 to Now iPhone 3G with the Geocaching APP, and my Map60CSx and the occational use of my Nuvi 260w with the Pilotsnipes GSAK macro created pocket quiries.

iPhone is nice, but still got to use the Map60CSx to zero in on the caches, then log the finds right at the cache locations on my iPhone.