***COINTEST for a Snowy Day***

opalsns

All Right Folks,

This forum has Sllllooooowwwwweeeeddd down so we need to light a flame!!!!

Our property in Maine is 15 acres of woods, fields and wetlands , so ...............

What was the most incredible animal sighting/happening that BubbaBass and I witnessed here, on our property.....

I mean MIND BLOWING for sure!!!

No back to back answering, and I need the exact sighting/happening...

The Prize will be an Unactivated , Trackable Geocoin Of My Choice!!!!!!!

I reserve the right to add hints and a just wording to make things clear,

Ready,

Set,

...............................................GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Assuming your property participates in Forest Management,

There is a growing demand for all kinds of forest products derived from Maine's greatest natural resource.

Improved quality, value and productivity of Maine woodlands are a direct result of skilled forest management.

Properly managed woodlands contribute to natural resource protection, good land stewardship, enhanced wildlife habitat and improved quality of life for the landowner.

MIND BLOWING! :laughing:

You saw a squirrel figure out how to get into one of those squirrel-proof bird feeders. :laughing:

We don't have quite the same size property here in Halifax (less than an acre), but we have deer, pheasants, racoons, and groundhogs all the time. The most mind-blowing thing I've ever seen (on my property) is a flock of crows cooperating to get seeds out of a birdfeeder.

It was one of those tiny birdfeeders meant for sparrows and chickadees -- way to small for a crow to land on. So the crows would take turns hopping up and down on the branch it was hanging from to knock the seeds out and onto the ground where the rest would eat them up!

My father-in-law has otters in his lake and we spent an afternoon once watching them slide down mud banks and play tag.

MOUNTAIN LION

PORTLAND, Maine — Federal biologists are examining decades of witness reports and scientific research as they try to determine once and for all if eastern mountain lions thought to be extinct are actually living in Maine.

Mountain lions, also known as cougars or panthers, are believed to be extinct east of the Mississippi River, from Maine to South Carolina. But biologists receive at least a dozen reports each year of sightings in southern Maine alone.

Rare Turtle

Snapping turtles live throughout the state, except in the northernmost part. They can live in ponds and lakes but will make themselves a comfortable home in ditches and other small pools of water. They can grow to an average of 18 pounds, but some get up to 40 pounds. There is a huge, 76-pound snapping turtle in the Toronto zoo.

The wood turtle, with its sculptured-looking shell, likes to be near the moving waters of rivers and streams, but it also feels comfortable in upland wetlands and marshes. This species should not be confused with the snapping turtle, if only for its size.

The smaller wood turtle averages seven inches but also, unlike the saw-tooth ridge on the snapper's tail, the wood turtle has a smooth tail. Maine lists the wood turtle as a "special concern" because of over-harvesting by trappers for sale on the pet market.

The painted turtle is often found in ponds and lakes. The males are slightly smaller than the females, which average seven inches. The undersides are colored yellow to orange and the top shell is usually an olive green with red markings around the edge of the shell.

MOUNTAIN LION

PORTLAND, Maine — Federal biologists are examining decades of witness reports and scientific research as they try to determine once and for all if eastern mountain lions thought to be extinct are actually living in Maine.

Mountain lions, also known as cougars or panthers, are believed to be extinct east of the Mississippi River, from Maine to South Carolina. But biologists receive at least a dozen reports each year of sightings in southern Maine alone.

We're having the same problem here in Nova Scotia -- wildlife services doesn't want to officially say that cougars are coming back, but my father-in-law has seen them in the Nova Scotia Highlands.