Legend HCx and profile page

I thought I had played with my Legend HCx and found out everything there is to know about it, but the other day I stumbled upon a elevation profile page that I had never seen before. I was routing to a certain location and was on the page indicating all the upcoming turns. On a whim I pressed the menu button and noticed an option called profile. I selected this and an elevation profile of the entire route popped up. I zoomed in and could scroll along route to look at the elevation data. I looked at data for several saved backpacking routes in the mountains. This is way cool and I have played with it for several days now. I am probably the last person to know about this but had not read about it in the forums and do not remember seeing it described in the manual. I have had my Legend for almost a year now and just discovered it. Oh well, just thought I would mention it in case there are other numbskulls like me that take a while to figure some things out.

WHOAH there ! There's an elevation profile display AND an overall height gain field on the *LEGEND* hcx ? I thought this was just available on the vista variants due to the barometric altimeter ?! Is the profile option only available when routing ? So if I route to a cache, does it matter if I navigate using on-road or off-road ?

I thought I knew the legend hcx inside out too !

Is the name of the elevation gain as above 'overall elevation gain' as I've looked several times and not seen a field that looked likely to show that.

Cheers.

Edited by Rifty

From the legend hcx manual - "All units show profiles, if using Digital Elevation Model (DEM) maps", presumably topo gb and not base map ?

And goes on to say that profile should be an available menu option for all saved tracks. Can't wait to get home and have a look ! If true, then they only need to extend the geocache note field and it's very well sorted !

There does appear to be a field at the top of this profile screen so will see if 'total ascent' is one of them...

Nope can't see how to get profile ! Any chance of a step by step guide please groundhog123 ? I've been all over the menu's three times now !

Ta.

Well, lets see. First of all, I have CNNA NT 2008 and Topo 2008 installed on my Legend HCx. I select a point to navigate to. In one case I selected a saved route. When the route screen appears, I press the Menu button and a menu pops up with "Profile" as the 3rd option. I select "Profile" and then press the enter button. Another small window pops up asking "Use Road Data" or "Use Off Road Data". In this case, I select "Use Off Road Data". It is at this point that the elevation profile page pops up. Using The Legends auto routing I select a point to navigate to the press "Go To". I then press the "Follow Road" option. After the route is calculated, I press the Page button to go to the screen that shows all the upcoming turns. I then press the Menu button and select "Profile". Once again the elevation profile page comes. Hope this helps. I do not know if this feature is available to those with CNNA NT or TOPO 2008 or both, but I did not find it until this past weekend and I have had both mapsets for about 8 months and 3 months respectively.

Groundhog123, here's my screenshot take on what you're doing. Tell me if I'm right:-

Step 1 - go into the routes menu:-

profile1.gif

Step 2 - with a route highlighted, press the menu button ? (as u can see I have two options only, and no profile option):-

profile2.gif

If I go into tracks and press menu button with a track highlighted, I also get no profile option, despite the manual suggesting otherwise:-

profile3.gif

I've tried these with just topo GB selected, just the base map and just city navigator europe, all with same lack of profile option. My unit is fully up to date (firmware 2.80). I'd have expected the option to be there and greyed out if the maps didn't support it ?

Convinced the profile option isn't available on my legend hcx but can't work out why !!

Edited by Rifty
You can customize the data fields on this screen too. Check 'em out. I always have overall elevation gain enabled.
Too bad this field is not available on the Odometer page (Colorado). You can reset this field by doing an odometer reset, just not see it except on the Elevation page.

Like bitching to you is going to make a difference. :)

Crap! He said Legend and not Vista. I may have jumped the gun on that one. So is there an elevation screen on the Legend?

Probably on any GPS with TOpo maps loaded. Just like turn by turn wording will only be on a GPS if routable maps are loaded. Mapsets add features to the GPS's that don't show up if you do not have that map set.

Well, actually I'm talking from a Magellan users viewpoint but in this respect I imagine Garmin is the SAME.

Nope can't see how to get profile ! Any chance of a step by step guide please groundhog123 ? I've been all over the menu's three times now !

Ta.

Well, lets see. First of all, I have CNNA NT 2008 and Topo 2008 installed on my Legend HCx. I select a point to navigate to. In one case I selected a saved route. When the route screen appears, I press the Menu button and a menu pops up with "Profile" as the 3rd option. I select "Profile" and then press the enter button. Another small window pops up asking "Use Road Data" or "Use Off Road Data". In this case, I select "Use Off Road Data". It is at this point that the elevation profile page pops up. Using The Legends auto routing I select a point to navigate to the press "Go To". I then press the "Follow Road" option. After the route is calculated, I press the Page button to go to the screen that shows all the upcoming turns. I then press the Menu button and select "Profile". Once again the elevation profile page comes. Hope this helps. I do not know if this feature is available to those with CNNA NT or TOPO 2008 or both, but I did not find it until this past weekend and I have had both mapsets for about 8 months and 3 months respectively.

I can confirm this is so on a Vista HCx (2.8/2.8). Maps installed: TOPO 2008 (provides the DEM) and CNNA NT 2009 (provides the turn-by-turn route).3cb735da-ab14-4372-b726-c0a7f2606aed.jpg Edited by coggins

Thanks Ken - thought I was going mad !

groundhog123 - not being funny, but you definitely have a legend hcx, not a vista hcx ? If so, I'd be very interested in seeing screenshots taken with ximage and trying to understand why you have a mapset that would appear to have more features.

groundhog123 - not being funny, but you definitely have a legend hcx, not a vista hcx ? If so, I'd be very interested in seeing screenshots taken with ximage and trying to understand why you have a mapset that would appear to have more features.

I can confirm that it does work on a Legend HCx. Just did it on mine. Of course, in eastern North Dakota, there's not much profile to work with. I have Topo 2008 and Metroguide (with Metrogold to autoroute) on board it right now.

Nice find groundhog123!

The Legend HCX can show the profile of a route or track if it has maps with DEM data loaded.

You can even draw a track in a mapping programa (e.g. Ozi), with no elevation info, send it to the GPS and then watch its profile based upon the DEM data of the GPS map.

I think it is not related to any routing capability of the map.

Regards,

I do indeed have the Legend HCx. I have just downloaded xImage and will attempt to load up some screen shots a little later (have to do a brake job on the car right now!), but the image shown by coggins is exacly what is on my Legend HCx.

Yeah, I'd love to see it available on more screens (trip computer, map screen).

groundhog 123, not only will you need xImage to grab the screenshot, you'll need a web host or some sort of free image hosting service to post it. And if you do the latter, you'd probably have to convert it to .jpg, because I think xImage outputs in .bmp.

One way to the profile screen:

Main Menu

MainMenu.jpg

Saved route

Routes.jpg

Route

Route.jpg

Select Profile

Menu.jpg

In this case, I used Off Road Data

RoadData.jpg

and here is the profile page for the selected route

Profile.jpg

I have CNNA NT 2008 and TOPO 2008 installed on my device

This is a slightly different method using the auto routing feature of CNNA NT 2008.

With a route enabled.......from the "turn-by-turn" screen

1.jpg

select profile

2.jpg

and the elevation profile of the route

3.jpg

Not sure how useful the elevation profile will be in real world conditions, but its kinda cool to look at.