I Need input On Which Garmin GPS

Chesterbud

Hi to all. My wife and I tried Geocaching for the first time on Sunday. We used my Zumo550 from our motorcycle. It worked well but I would be concerned about battery life on the trail. In looking at the Garmin website I've looked at the etrex Legend HCx and the GPSmap60CX and CSX. I'm not sure of the benefit that an electronic compass or barametric altimeter really adds to the enjoyment of geocaching so am narrowing in on the GPSmap60CX. I would appreciate any input you people might offer and recommendations on which GPS (not limited to the above) you would suggest.

I also plan to use this GPS for canoeing but only to get relative positioning in a lake or river. I'm thinking I may need Topo maps for this. I looked at the Oregon 400t but I think it only comes with US topo maps and I live in Canada. I expect I would still have to buy Canadian topo maps so adding them to a GPSmap60 would likely be a loss costly option.

Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks...

In looking at the Garmin website I've looked at the etrex Legend HCx and the GPSmap60CX and CSX.

I don't have a Garmin, but I cache with a lot of people who do.

The Colorado has lots of nice bells and whistles, but for pure-dee cache finding, the 60CSX seems to be the hands-down favorite. It zeroes in quickly, it cuts through tree cover easily, and is becoming more affordable as the newer units gain favor.

I listened to three Garmin owners have this discussion a couple of weeks ago, and that was their consensus.

Hope that helps.

You may want the Blue Water maps for water navigation. Whether or not an electronic compass is useful is a matter of personal preference. I find it very useful, and wouldn't have another GPS without one. They work well, when you understand how to correctly use them. Unfortunately, many people mistake normal GPS error for a compass error, since the unit needs the GPS data to position the navigation arrow. When the navigation arrow seems erratic, they assume the compass is erratic, when it's actually working correctly.

Good news is that might not have to purchase topo maps. Ibycus has free Canada topo maps here that might work for you.

I have the 60 and the girlfriend has the Legend. I love the 60. Rugged, you can attach an external antenna if needed ( in the cold I stick it inside my jacket and stick the antenna to my hat with velcro, saves batteries). She likes the Legend line, fits her hand better, likes the buttons layout (only model she has used). But the Legend has a history of the rubber band coming unglued, the little joystick going in time. Most times she has been able to stick it in her pocket and still keep a signal. I dont care for the button layout and the menus, I like th 60`s. As for performance the Legend has the newer chip but the only difference I see in that is faster pickup of the satellite signals and maybe keeping them while in the pocket. Accuracy is pretty much the same, at times one is better than the other and vise versa.

Since you already have a 'dash' unit for the car/motorcycle, you don't need a GPS with auto-routing capabilities. You save yourself some $$. You do lose the data card feature. For example, I would first suggest to take a look at the Venture HC - color screen, sensitive chipset, low cost (about $155), and 24mb of internal memory for Topo maps or non-routing street maps. If you want more memory, then look at the data card models such as the 60Cx and Legend HCx. The 60's have a larger screen and buttons on the front side. The Etrex line is smaller/lighter and bit more affordable.

As to the electronic compass, I like it but have it turned off on my Vista HCx 95% of the time. It uses a bit more power to run (although there is some debate on that), and you must synchronize it periodically. I only use it when I'm unable to move in a straight line, as when I'm in a small boat, or on a steep hillside bushwhacking and/or rock hopping my way to a cache. In those situations an electronic compass is very handy.

In looking at the Garmin website I've looked at the etrex Legend HCx and the GPSmap60CX and CSX. I'm not sure of the benefit that an electronic compass or barametric altimeter really adds to the enjoyment of geocaching so am narrowing in on the GPSmap60CX.

FWIW, when I was looking at replacing my first GPSr (a Garmin eTrex Venture), I was looking at the Legend HCx and the GPSmap60CX.

Color was nice, but not a major factor.

Expandability was a factor, as I had run into a 'wall' with the less memory on the Venture, and wanted the expandability.

The built-in basemap was nice (Venture doesn't have that), plus the ability to add more maps was good.

An electronic compass and altimeter didn't interest me enought to pay the extra for those features. I live in Florida, so altitude doesn't reallly matter, and I carry a regular compass with me, so why pay for an electronic one?

There is a price difference between the two, plus the controls are different. As I was used to the eTrex, going with the Legend HCx would be good.

A BIG reason I wanted to get a new GPS was I wanted a more precise GPSr. The next "H" eTrex has a high sensitivity chip set, and the GPSmap had the quad helix antenna. So a deciding factor was which was better in that area. I finally broke down and asked here, and was told they were the same.

As the GPSmap was more expensive, that made me lean toward the Legend, and I got it.

Now other factors may be important to you, such as the water charts and being more water proof and such, so you may want to consider the 60 or even the 76 in that regards.

Hope that helps.