What? No discoveries at events?

Silfron Mandotheneset

I just recently had a discover log on a geocoin deleted, from a coin I had seen at an event back in the middle of december. I was very confused, but when I went to the coins page again, there's was this message in the description:

"This geocoin is meant to travel from cache to cache to be enjoyed by many. It is not to be kept. Please pass it on! Public "finds/discovers" during Geocache Events are not welcome and will be deleted. "Discovers" by your friends while you are actually out caching are OK, however, so feel free to share the coin in your travels. "

I'm pretty sure that wasn't there when I logged, as I usually read descriptions, and wouldn't have bothered logging with that there, but that's not really the point. I mean, I guess they can make whatever rules they want, it is their coin.

The question is this: Is that normal? Should I not discover coins at events? That was the first event I had been to, and it seemed like that was sort of the point. (and none of my other discoveries from the event have been deleted)... but I'm still new at this. Someone please clarify for me, I don't want to risk making anyone angry in the future :D

Sounds to me like they have a problem with the person who has the coin.

Maybe they had it a long time and the owners want them to move it to a cache.

It's not you.

And, Your bound to anger someone without intending to, I just got a tounge lashing from someone for posting an idea on an Idea thread...

Some folks are just to big for their britches or some Know Everthing about everthing and have Done it Alll!!!! Charactors, all of us, and all different!!

Just don't worry about anyone, play the game Fair, but your way. There are alot of AWESOME people here to help you on your journey!!!!!

Peace,

Opalsns

I have a note on my geocoins not to take them to events because they seem to go missing. But some of them still end up at events were mass discovering of the coin goes on. I don't mind so I don't delete the logs. But I've seen other geocoins that have the note of "no discovering or logs will be deleted". Since it's the owner's coin he/she can do what they want and we should respect his/her wishes.

I agree you should continue to discover them at events. It is really hard for those

of us new to geocaching to "figure out" coins and bugs. So many people have

differing ideas of what they want for their stuff. Personally I enjoy every discovery

note on any of my stuff. But I am not so fond of the way people hand the coin off

in some strange "inner circle" and manage to hold it hostage for months so just a

few people can discover it. But that is me. Or maybe just my area.

Alicia

Simple answer. Discover at events, and if you didn't have time to read the Trackable page beforehand, do not be upset if the owner of the trackable deletes your log, and doesn't wish their trackable to go to events. Some owners don't want tons of discovery emails that one gets when one's trackable goes to an event. Some only want caching logs, not event logs, but if you are just seeing the trackable at an event, and have no idea what the owner's wishes are, how are you to know? The only way is to find out later on, when your log vanishes. Let it slide off your back like water on a duck, and keep on caching.... :)

I'd say log it again :) But we know there are a small number of people on here with no sense of humor :D There's always someone who'll whine about something. If it gets deleted, oh well, (edit to add; the original log, not another, I was teasing about logging it again)I've had it happen to me too. I just laugh it off and move along and wait for the next coin to come along :D

Side note; you can edit the coin page to change the goal at any time, so they probably did change it after you logged it. Hope the event was fun either way :D

tsun

Edited by tsunrisebey

Since it's the owner's coin he/she can do what they want and we should respect his/her wishes.

Best advice. If you didn't know, no harm done and I'm sure the deletion wasn't malicious so don't take it personally (if you did).

It's just like a cache - make sure to read the page before taking action. But in the overall scheme of things, don't sweat it.

Deleting logs is just mean in my opinion. It creates bad karma and is not nice behavior. In your case it was really nasty I think. Most people love to share their geocoins and discvoery at events is like collecting icons and enjoying geocoins to the max. So it should be encouraged not discouraged. I think that particular coin owner is going to get some serious karmic retribution in the future. May his coins all go to the top of that tree in Oz from where none ever return.

I'd say log it again :lol: But we know there are a small number of people on here with no sense of humor :mad: There's always someone who'll whine about something. If it gets deleted, oh well, (edit to add; the original log, not another, I was teasing about logging it again)I've had it happen to me too. I just laugh it off and move along and wait for the next coin to come along :anibad:

Side note; you can edit the coin page to change the goal at any time, so they probably did change it after you logged it. Hope the event was fun either way :huh:

tsun

See what I mean, LOL!!!!

:):D:D:D:laughing::unsure::unsure::anibad:

Edited by opalsns