Duplication of software

Spot2

I remently purchased City Nav (micro sd) for my Oregon, it works great. My wife has a Colorado and i want to duplicate my purchased City Nav for her unit. I did atttempt it and everything seemed to work fine but it will not work, any of you guru's out there care to give me a hint on how to make it work? As i wrote this it sounded like I am asking for a hint to find a cache.

Thanks all, a pm is ok if it is top secret

Scott

Just to clarify - the data isn't locked to the card, obviously - you can copy the file anywhere you want. You can even delete it (I wouldn't advise it, though...)

But the map set _is_ locked to the serial number of the SD card it came on. So even if you make a backup copy of the data, and your dog eats your card, you can't use the backup. So much for fair use...

Next time you buy Garmin maps, buy the DVD. You have more options for how to use it.

Just to clarify - the data isn't locked to the card, obviously - you can copy the file anywhere you want. You can even delete it (I wouldn't advise it, though...)

But the map set _is_ locked to the serial number of the SD card it came on. So even if you make a backup copy of the data, and your dog eats your card, you can't use the backup. So much for fair use...

Next time you buy Garmin maps, buy the DVD. You have more options for how to use it.

But the software is then locked to a unit. To load on another unit you need to buy another unlock code.

Jim

OH, and be warned, that most map makers make their CD's and DVD's non-duplicatable. It's not a copyright thing, it's a theft thing.

It's both, since copyright infringement is being equated to theft nowadays.

Copyright law allows you to make a backup copy for yourself. I hope these map makers are making replacement media available at a reasonable price for people who genuinely have damaged media.

Thanks all

If anybody would PM me a hint on how to do what i am planing, or if you are located in Oregon and need a caching buddy for a day (I'll drive)

Thanks again all

Spot

Man, talk about a bold request for help breaking the law, this is it. Do you know what the SD on a SD card stands for? Secure Data. It is a way to prevent doing what you are attempting to do. Buy another card.

Jim