Palm PDA + Vista

hukilaulau

I just got a new computer running Vista. I need another PDA. Anyone with experience using a Palm 500 series with Vista? Works OK or not?

The answer is depends ....

If it is 32 bit Vista and you have the 6.something desktop, not to worry.

If you have a 64 bit Vista forget hot sync, the drivers are not supported. If this is the case it still can work. See this thread.

Jim

This is all great information as I have wondered this myself and just posed the question a few days ago on this similar topic. However I own a Palm M515 and am in the market for a new computer that runs 64bit Vista. Now I know that the Hot Sync wont work without some adjustments.

I wonder if there is a way of finding out which Palm units are compatible with 64 bit Vista. I am also considering purchasing a Palm Treo 650 Verizon as my cell and caching PDA. Does anybody know if the Treo 650 syncs with 64 bit Vista?

This is all great information as I have wondered this myself and just posed the question a few days ago on this similar topic. However I own a Palm M515 and am in the market for a new computer that runs 64bit Vista. Now I know that the Hot Sync wont work without some adjustments.

I wonder if there is a way of finding out which Palm units are compatible with 64 bit Vista. I am also considering purchasing a Palm Treo 650 Verizon as my cell and caching PDA. Does anybody know if the Treo 650 syncs with 64 bit Vista?

Its not the palm units that are not compatible, it is the palm desktop software that is not compatible. If the palm desktop software will not work on 64 bit vista then it really does not matter which palm unit you have, it won't work. If you have a palm unit with an SD card then you can use my file move approach along with fileman to put stuff on your palm on a 64 bit Vista.

Jim

Its not the palm units that are not compatible, it is the palm desktop software that is not compatible. If the palm desktop software will not work on 64 bit vista then it really does not matter which palm unit you have, it won't work. If you have a palm unit with an SD card then you can use my file move approach along with fileman to put stuff on your palm on a 64 bit Vista.

Jim

Thanks for the additional info and link! :D

I just got a new computer running Vista. I need another PDA. Anyone with experience using a Palm 500 series with Vista? Works OK or not?

The answer is depends ....

If it is 32 bit Vista and you have the 6.something desktop, not to worry.

If you have a 64 bit Vista forget hot sync, the drivers are not supported. If this is the case it still can work. See this thread.

Jim

I have a serial cradle for my M515 (they originally came with serial - USB was only offered later on). You can probably find one on ebay etc... The USB cradle/cable will be of no use in this scenario. I relegated mine to the basement until such time that Palm get's their act together....

You 'only' need 64 bit drivers for the USB to Serial cable - not for the Palm... The one I use is a Trednet USB to Serial .

In the hotsync software you set it to 'local serial' and you are all set...

(The above is from the linked thread)

So am I to understand that if I have a serial cradle with a serial to USB adapter it will work? Seems too simple :)