Unfound for a year

I don't mean never found, due to evil puzzle or location elements, or one with a known problem. I just mean a simple, easy-to-find, no fuss, no bother geocache. My T(H)AME (S)TROLL (Oxon) - GCHMM2 cache is about to be archived as it's not been found for a year. It's a traditional, there's been no reported problems with it... but it is over 1km from parking, meaning a walk of around 1.5miles to it and back. It seems that's enough to leave it off folks hitlists and unfound for 364 days...

If you don't know how to check your own caches for how long the longest unfound has been untouched by cacher, this page will tell you.

Can anyone beat a year? What have you got? :lol:

Archived. I'm surprised markandlynn's has been so long unfound. It's only a puzzle because there's an additional logging requirement, and not too arduous a one. Strange!

I missread your OP the cache i linked is not at the above coords the co ords are in another cache (search for nearest caches) in which case our longest unfound trad is about two months so does not qualify.

we could convert it to an ALR at the given co ords though as the piccies are quite funny.

NB its not an ALR cache as we dont insist on the pink stuff for a smiley we just politely ask. If the log book is signed its a find to us.

The logs are all appreciative of the walk but now that the locals have all done it...

But....what about anyone who comes here on holiday and who might want to do some interesting caches? Finds always tail off after the locals do them but I for one appreciate having the choice of doing some decent caches if I am visiting a new area - and not just caches and dashes.

Edited by allieballie

I don't mean never found, due to evil puzzle or location elements, or one with a known problem. I just mean a simple, easy-to-find, no fuss, no bother geocache. Can anyone beat a year? What have you got? :D

I guess it probably doesn't count because it's a NaviCache, but I found a straightforward large traditional cache on Penton Hook Island that had been undiscovered for nearly 5 years! And it was only 30 metres from one of my own GC caches :P . I should point out that I didn't know about the NaviCache when I placed my GC cache.

It wasn't easy to find, having had the stalks of vegetation grow round it like a basket, but it was well stocked and in excellent condition.

Rgds, Andy

The logs are all appreciative of the walk but now that the locals have all done it...

But....what about anyone who comes here on holiday and who might want to do some interesting caches? Finds always tail off after the locals do them but I for one appreciate having the choice of doing some decent caches if I am visiting a new area - and not just caches and dashes.

I second what allieballie says.

I second what allieballie says.

I fully appreciate this and have no intention of archiving it. :)

I was just saying that once the locals have found it there are very likely to be long gaps in between the finds. Hopefully the logs will remain appreciative and that is by far the best encouragment to leave a cache out there :D

Our Watson's Pike (GC 889B)was last found on 13th June 2006, so that's about 2 and a half years. It was placed in February 2002 and has 19 finds. I was up there a couple of months back and it's still in position and in good condition. I just think a lot of folk can't be bothered with walking these days when much simpler caches can be found without much effort. Given there are far more cachers these days I would have thought some would have made the effort - it's on the moors with great views but is over a mile :laughing: from the nearest road.

Our Watson's Pike (GC 889B)was last found on 13th June 2006, so that's about 2 and a half years. It was placed in February 2002 and has 19 finds. I was up there a couple of months back and it's still in position and in good condition. I just think a lot of folk can't be bothered with walking these days when much simpler caches can be found without much effort. Given there are far more cachers these days I would have thought some would have made the effort - it's on the moors with great views but is over a mile :laughing: from the nearest road.

Personally, I think your caches are the best. :lol: Whenever I'm up your way, I try to make a point of doing one (at least) as I know that I'm guaranteed a good hike and a great view (weather permitting). I'm getting really 'picky' now about which caches I do. Numbers have long since disappeared into the distance as I know I can't compete with Doc Solly and the other 'numbers folk' so I'm happier going for one or two that give me a real sense of achievement and a bit of a work-out as well. I may not ever do all of yours but I'll be up in Weardale in the summer so I'll knock off one or two more, all being well. :blink::P

Challenge accepted :P

Being a new cacher (first find was on 7th December) and also trying to regain some fitness I'm equally keen to get out of the house and do the walking as I am finding the tupperware in the woods :blink: I've got my eye on this one as I'm not very familiar with Hexhamshire. I'll drag the family up there too.

I've visited a few of your caches (3 in the last week I think, Dipton Wood today!) and particularly enjoyed Warden Hill during a lunchbreak last thursday which did mean I was a little delayed getting back to work that day, but I'm fortunate to have flexible working. Thanks for the caches!

A Slock Gardeviance has not been found for exactly a year, and although it's a mystery cache, you only have to go to where the coordinates take you then follow the story (it's all about 3 minutes from the road). Admittedly, it's not obvious that it's so easy!

From the cache description "Also note that this is high and exposed ground: so as well as provisions, make sure that you have plenty of weatherproof clothing." Must be one hell of a road!

This proved to be a bit of A Slock Red Herring for us as we took it to be on one of the nearby (exposed) ridges and decided we didn't have time to attempt it. We'll be back, thanks for the hint :laughing:.

MBF

My American Pie cache was last found on.....

icon_smile.gif June 24, 2007

So bye bye Miss American Pie..... :)

I'm not surprised! Not exactly obvious is it. I looked at the page and thought "Next!' :D

Gee thanks... :laughing: It's a 3 star for difficulty, so I hope it's not obvious. We have a fun group of puzzle cache solvers around here that really enjoy harder puzzles. We also get out-of-towners that enjoy these too. So to each his/her own. :(

From the cache description "Also note that this is high and exposed ground: so as well as provisions, make sure that you have plenty of weatherproof clothing." Must be one hell of a road!

This proved to be a bit of A Slock Red Herring for us as we took it to be on one of the nearby (exposed) ridges and decided we didn't have time to attempt it. We'll be back, thanks for the hint :).

MBF

You don't miss much, do you! :laughing: It IS high and exposed, so if the weather is bad you need waterproofs. Just not as high and exposed as the nearby hills. But you're right that there's a big red herring factor to this one; on a nice day you could be back at the car within 15 minutes. I don't feel bad about giving a hint as it doesn't get found too often.

Gee thanks... :) It's a 3 star for difficulty, so I hope it's not obvious. We have a fun group of puzzle cache solvers around here that really enjoy harder puzzles. We also get out-of-towners that enjoy these too. So to each his/her own. :D

Although the thread is really supposed to be about straightforward caches, this looks like a good one to me; ignore the grumpy types. :laughing:

Give plenty of notice before you archive it; it's the sort of puzzle that someone might have solved with a view to visiting in a few months time.

So bye bye Miss American Pie..... :)

I'm not surprised! Not exactly obvious is it. I looked at the page and thought "Next!' :(

Gee thanks... :laughing: It's a 3 star for difficulty, so I hope it's not obvious. We have a fun group of puzzle cache solvers around here that really enjoy harder puzzles. We also get out-of-towners that enjoy these too. So to each his/her own. :P

Actually I just didn't understand it :D

So bye bye Miss American Pie..... :antenna:

I'm not surprised! Not exactly obvious is it. I looked at the page and thought "Next!' :grin:

Gee thanks... :D It's a 3 star for difficulty, so I hope it's not obvious. We have a fun group of puzzle cache solvers around here that really enjoy harder puzzles. We also get out-of-towners that enjoy these too. So to each his/her own. :D

Actually I just didn't understand it :unsure:

Nobody from San Diego will ever read this thread and even if they do then consider this a gift. If you look at the posted coords I zeroed the last three digits of each set. So two sets of three words below the album cover need to be converted to numbers. If you click on the album cover it will reveal the lyrics to this well known song. These two sets of three words all appear in the lyrics. So now all you have to do is figure out how to convert them to numbers... Edited by TrailGators

Gee thanks... :antenna: It's a 3 star for difficulty, so I hope it's not obvious. We have a fun group of puzzle cache solvers around here that really enjoy harder puzzles. We also get out-of-towners that enjoy these too. So to each his/her own. :unsure:

Although the thread is really supposed to be about straightforward caches, this looks like a good one to me; ignore the grumpy types. :D

Give plenty of notice before you archive it; it's the sort of puzzle that someone might have solved with a view to visiting in a few months time.

Thanks, I agree. I'm not going to archive it. The hiding place is very fun too. I actually didn't think it was that tough but maybe it is because it hasn't been found for a long time... Edited by TrailGators

Aren't you glad that we live in the UK, as we have so many caches on our doorstep. i was looking to see which caches were the furthest North and came accross this one GCQ6JV The comment about taking your boat out of the water as the next village is 4 DAYS away. You have to admit these guys have it a lot tougher than us.

Gone caching

Our Watson's Pike (GC 889B)was last found on 13th June 2006, so that's about 2 and a half years. It was placed in February 2002 and has 19 finds. I was up there a couple of months back and it's still in position and in good condition. I just think a lot of folk can't be bothered with walking these days when much simpler caches can be found without much effort. Given there are far more cachers these days I would have thought some would have made the effort - it's on the moors with great views but is over a mile from the nearest road.

Pleased to see that our cache was found again on Sept 20 - 3 years, 3 months and 7 days since the last visitor.

Our Watson's Pike (GC 889B)was last found on 13th June 2006, so that's about 2 and a half years. It was placed in February 2002 and has 19 finds. I was up there a couple of months back and it's still in position and in good condition. I just think a lot of folk can't be bothered with walking these days when much simpler caches can be found without much effort. Given there are far more cachers these days I would have thought some would have made the effort - it's on the moors with great views but is over a mile from the nearest road.

Pleased to see that our cache was found again on Sept 20 - 3 years, 3 months and 7 days since the last visitor.

Over a mile from the nearest road.... Waddaya expect? Who on earth would go and look for a cache... on the moors... that was so far from the nearest road? Too much like hard work for the modern cacher who has to get at least 40 in a day to make it worth his (her?) while getting up in the morning :)

Over a mile from the nearest road.... Waddaya expect? Who on earth would go and look for a cache... on the moors... that was so far from the nearest road? Too much like hard work for the modern cacher who has to get at least 40 in a day to make it worth his (her?) while getting up in the morning :)

Men with daft hats have been seen in the vicinity, many miles from home. The local constabulary have been alerted to look out for further alien visitations :rolleyes:

@OP myself and my family have only been geocaching 7 weeks, we have cleared all local ones and are gradually working our way outwards, thame is on our list of places to cache soon so if you had left it in place new people like myself could have visited it.

Still its yours and your decision, but as the explosion of phones with gps carry on im sure more and more new cachers will appear and caches that havent been found in a while will start to be found again.