battery recomendations for oregon 300

oasyspc

I use Sanyo Eneloops from Costco. May not be the best but the price was very good and they last a reasonable length of time in the unit.

I would not recommend alkaline batteries.

how long is reasonable?

I normally change them after about 8 hours but there is still energy left. I have never ran a set of batteries dead. I did that once on a Colorado and it permanently killed it. Since then I am very careful to replace them regularly. Since I carry replacement rechargeables, it is not a concern.

I use Sanyo Eneloops from Costco. May not be the best but the price was very good and they last a reasonable length of time in the unit.

how long is reasonable?

I normally change them after about 8 hours but there is still energy left. I have never ran a set of batteries dead. I did that once on a Colorado and it permanently killed it. Since then I am very careful to replace them regularly. Since I carry replacement rechargeables, it is not a concern.

Thanks are you getting 8hrs with a oregon or some other gps do you use the backlight?

Wayne

how long is reasonable?

Thanks are you getting 8hrs with a oregon or some other gps do you use the backlight?

Wayne

I only use the Oregon and I have the backlight on. I get 8 hours. However, it is important to note that mileage various with type of usage. If you are doing a lot of Wherigo's, or map navigation etc. then time will be reduced. For just selecting a cache, go to, repeat I get 8 hours.

How strange.

I run my batteries dead all the time on all five of our GPSr units and we've never had any problems with it "killing" the GPSr. I'm thinking it was probably coincidence that it happened to you, but with a unit that expensive I guess there is no point in "testing" it again.

How strange.

I run my batteries dead all the time on all five of our GPSr units and we've never had any problems with it "killing" the GPSr. I'm thinking it was probably coincidence that it happened to you, but with a unit that expensive I guess there is no point in "testing" it again.

Well, it was a Colorado. So its not like it was a high tech unit. :lol:

I left it on all night in the living room to see what the position drift would be like, knowing it would die sometime in the night. The next morning, when I tried to power it on, it came up with 'system software missing". All efforts of recovery failed. Even the Canadian Garmin Repair Ctr could not fix it.

It probably was a coincidence with the batteries but as you say, why tempt fate??

@ the GP site, some of the hot links for "products" don't work, if you manually insert

_products into the URL you can see more product. Their portable 2 hr. smart charger

looks pretty good, their 15 min. charger will "toast" theirs' or anybody else's batteries

pronto. A good charger uses voltage sensing, as well as temp. & time, and should

charge the cells individually, not ganged together.

Norm

Edited by RRLover

How strange.

It happened to me as well. It was a Colorado. Maybe I could've troubleshooted with Garmin support. But who has the time? I returned it to REI.

I now have an Oregon. I've ran the batteries down a few times w/o any problems.

I use Sanyo's 2700 batteries. Make sure you get a proper charger as well. I have a Lacrosse BC-700.

You must get a proper charger. After I got my charger, I noticed that some of my old batteries that weren't lasting very long came back to life after I reconditioned them in the charger.

@ the GP site, some of the hot links for "products" don't work, if you manually insert

_products into the URL you can see more product. Their portable 2 hr. smart charger

looks pretty good, their 15 min. charger will "toast" theirs' or anybody else's batteries

pronto. A good charger uses voltage sensing, as well as temp. & time, and should

charge the cells individually, not ganged together.

Norm

this is the 1 I was think about getting

http://www.gpbattery.com/powerbank_products.html

GPPB65US270SA-UW4

1 hour to charge up 4 pcs NiMH batteries

Digital clock

Easy check 3-color LED icons to show charging status

Auto cut-off safety control by voltage, temperature and time to

prevent overcharging

Individual charging channels, can charge 1-4 pcs of NiMH AA

or AAA in any combination

GP patented Smart Recharge Technology

Primary & bad battery detection

AC 100-240V worldwide use

Package: 4 x 2700 series AA

I dont need the 1 hr charge time but I thought it would be a better charger

Thanks Wayne

How strange.

It happened to me as well. It was a Colorado. Maybe I could've troubleshooted with Garmin support. But who has the time? I returned it to REI.

I now have an Oregon. I've ran the batteries down a few times w/o any problems.

It took 5 weeks to get a replacement Colorado when mine died. That was the straw that broke the camel's back. Now I have an Oregon as well and I am very happy with it. I even retired my beloved 60CSx.

But I don't risk running the batteries dead on any unit. With rechargeables replacing frequent is not a big deal.

this is the 1 I was think about getting

http://www.gpbattery.com/powerbank_products.html

GPPB65US270SA-UW4

1 hour to charge up 4 pcs NiMH batteries

Digital clock

Easy check 3-color LED icons to show charging status

Auto cut-off safety control by voltage, temperature and time to

prevent overcharging

Individual charging channels, can charge 1-4 pcs of NiMH AA

or AAA in any combination

GP patented Smart Recharge Technology

Primary & bad battery detection

AC 100-240V worldwide use

Package: 4 x 2700 series AA

I dont need the 1 hr charge time but I thought it would be a better charger

Thanks Wayne

My choice (personally) would be for the GPPB03US270CA-UW4.

2 hr. charge is easier on the batteries, and 12 volt source option is nice if "road trippin'".

But that's personal preference. Not knowing the prices, I can't say one way or the other

how it compares value wise to my Maha 9000.

Norm