Log replacement

bmwman

Good Morning,

I'm a bit new to Geocaching - only joined last week.

Of the five cache that I have visited so far, two have logs that are full, soaking wet, and pretty well unusable, with pen/pencil going through the paper.

Is it considered good form to Email the "owner" to request a replacement, or is it OK to supply a clean, dry, replacement, and then notify?

If so, should the old log be taken home for drying and hopefully, repatriation, with the cache owner?

Both logs that I'm referring to, are in the 35mm film canister cache, although a wet log could be found in any type of cache, I suppose.

Thanks in advance

John

[ bmwman ]

Good Morning,

Of the five cache that I have visited so far, two have logs that are full, soaking wet, and pretty well unusable, with pen/pencil going through the paper.

Is it considered good form to Email the "owner" to request a replacement, or is it OK to supply a clean, dry, replacement, and then notify?

If so, should the old log be taken home for drying and hopefully, repatriation, with the cache owner?

Both logs that I'm referring to, are in the 35mm film canister cache, although a wet log could be found in any type of cache, I suppose.

Thanks in advance

John

[ bmwman ]

If you have a replacement log with you then by all means go ahead and leave it, then let the cache owner know. If the log you found is full or unuseable and the cache can't host another log then I would suggest you take it and say so in your log, also mentioning you will be happy to mail it to the cache owner if they want it.

Good Morning,

Thanks in advance

John

[ bmwman ]

If you have a replacement log with you then by all means go ahead and leave it, then let the cache owner know. If the log you found is full or unuseable and the cache can't host another log then I would suggest you take it and say so in your log, also mentioning you will be happy to mail it to the cache owner if they want it.

OK, thanks for very swift reply!

John

Good Morning,

Thanks in advance

John

[ bmwman ]

I'll dry the orginal log in the truck for the owner and put it back in the cache, or, if the log is full, add another log sheet and let the owner know.

I have put new log books in caches that need it.

As a cache owner I'd prefer you log a Needs Maintenance and leave it to me to replace the log. Other cache owners will be appreciative if you replace it.

In the case of wet logs it's often pointless to replace the log because its is just going to get wet again unless the

problem with the container is addressed and the owner should be the one to do that.

I've replaced a log once since it was nothing but a pile of pulp, and then let the owner know that the log was replaced. I offered to mail the soggy pile of paper to them, but they said just throw it away. Kind of like paying it forward, and often will save the cache owner from making a special trip.

If the log got wet, there was probably a reason. I suggest keeping a couple logs ready to use in new plastic bags, and of course, being sure to let the owner know that you had to leave one. If a damp log has plenty of room left, rather than fill the cache with paper, I will attempt to dry it out, then put into a new bag.

Good Morning,

As a cacher and cache owner, a good cacher should carry a small supply of cache repair supplies, including new logs of different sizes in ziploc bags.

I would NOT replace a log, but WOULD ADD an additional log.

I WOULD log a 'NEEDS MAINTANIENCE' to alert the owner that the log is full and needs replacement, and note that I left a new log there.

Owners may want to keep old, full logs, and I know I wouldn't appreciate them being taken by another cacher.

Edited by emb021

Good Morning,

Thanks in advance

John

[ bmwman ]

I would NOT replace a log, but WOULD ADD an additional log.

I WOULD log a 'NEEDS MAINTANIENCE' to alert the owner that the log is full and needs replacement, and note that I left a new log there.

Owners may want to keep old, full logs, and I know I wouldn't appreciate them being taken by another cacher.

But it was a nano, and the log was full. So I replaced it (for a friend). I'll take photos, and give him the old log.

I've had two cases of wet logs. Once the previous cacher did not close the plastic bag, nor the Lock and Lock properly.

The other, the cacher took the plastic bag! This seems to be an Eastern European thing. And the cacher was from Eastern Europe.

So, there can be many reasons for wet logs, that only require simple maintenance.