Retreiving Tracks from a 60CSX

Im trying to get my tracks from the 60CSX to load into Mapsource but every time I try I I can Find Device. But when I ask it to transfer the Tracks I get an error message that says:

Some devices we found, however none had the necessary capabilities.

Please make sure your device is connected and turned on then try again.

You may need to set the interface option on your GPS it Garmin or Host.

Ive done this, Ive restarted the GPS, several times, and I have not gotten anywhere with getting the tracks to Mapsource.

I went into the Tracks on the GPS and saved them, so they do have a name (todays date).

Sounds like you may have a Card Reader plugged into your PC and when you do a "Find Device" it actually finds many "devices" and you need to click on the Down Arrow on the dropdown list of devices.

You may find that the first few "devices" are SD cards or other external drives that Mapsource recognizes as being a potential location for "GPS files". Scroll down the list until you see the GPS name and Serial number, rather than "Drive F:" or something similar.

The first time that happened to me I got the same error you mentioned and it took a while to figure out it was the card reader, and not the GPS, that appeared in the "Find Device" box.

Bob

Sounds like you may have a Card Reader plugged into your PC and when you do a "Find Device" it actually finds many "devices" and you need to click on the Down Arrow on the dropdown list of devices.

You may find that the first few "devices" are SD cards or other external drives that Mapsource recognizes as being a potential location for "GPS files". Scroll down the list until you see the GPS name and Serial number, rather than "Drive F:" or something similar.

The first time that happened to me I got the same error you mentioned and it took a while to figure out it was the card reader, and not the GPS, that appeared in the "Find Device" box.

Bob

Edited by Berta, Nick and Zoey

Bob

When I click the Find Device Button, it shows my GPS with its serial number. But when I click Tracks in the "What to Receive" area and then click receive, I get an error that says "there was an error communicating with your device. Please make sure it is plugged in and turned on. If error continues, you may need to restart your device.

Which I have done several times.

My Mapsource software is version 6.12.4 and my USB Driver version is 2.1.0.0

I would download the latest USB drivers file from Garmin v2.2.1, sound like you may have a corrupt driver file. Also, I would update to Mapsource v6.13.7 not the latest 6.15 version; are several reports of it causing addtional problems. The only thing that 6.15 really gains you over 6.13.7 is the ability to see nice pretty terrain shading on your PC screen if you have Topo 2008 or later. Your 60CSx won't display terrain shading so no need to go to the expense of updating Mapsource to the latest with it's problems or buy newer topo version just to get terrain shading on PC.

You can do a search on forum for site to download Mapsource 6.13.7, there have been many discussions concerning it.

Edit: Looks like I was to slow in making my suggestion. Glad you got it resolved.

Edited by eaparks