Garmin 60 CSx

NR_Teacher

Well I've retired the etrex and I've purchased a refurbished CSx from from Megagps.com; haven't recieved it yet, what should I expect?

Has anyone mentioned a really spongy feeling rocker 'button'? Or annoyingly dull screen. Or bad ergonomics that require two handed operation and lots of thumb moving from rocker to enter for data entry? If not then let me do that now.

Well I've retired the etrex and I've purchased a refurbished CSx from from Megagps.com; haven't recieved it yet, what should I expect?

Has anyone mentioned a really spongy feeling rocker 'button'? Or annoyingly dull screen. Or bad ergonomics that require two handed operation and lots of thumb moving from rocker to enter for data entry? If not then let me do that now.

Are you missing fingers? ;) I have no problem operating my unit with one hand. Most data entry is done on the computer before I leave. Dull screen? Have you tried the oregon with no backlight turned on? The Oregon may be more user friendly, but not $300 worth of user-friendly... I paid $159 for my 60CSx, the Oregon was $461 on the same day.. I can buy a lot of accessories and beer with $300..

Does it get better with $$$ maps, the built in map seems really sparse?

Do yourself a favor and check out GPSFileDepot to see what free maps are available for the areas you need. I found a both street, topo, and trail maps for multiple states I wanted on there and the maps are generally very high quality. However, I did buy City Nav when I got my 60Csx. I don't know if they offer the lifetime update deal for the 60Csx, but you might look into that if you will want the most recent city/poi maps year to year.

Enjoy! I just got mine and am very happy with it so far, especially at the $160 price.

Well, I don't have a problem with the buttons. I acually prefer them this way (on the front) however, I will admit that the screen is not a bright as my Vista Hcx.

You can expect to have very accurate performance, very solid build quality, stable and mature firmware, world class support from Garmin, and answers to just about any questions you might have right here on the forums.

I've had mine for 2 1/2 years now. It's been kicked and dropped more times than I can remember. I've used it in planes, boats, cars, biking, hiking, temperatures over 100 and sub zero as well, and to this day I'm just as happy with it as I was the day I got it new. If it was stolen, came up missing, or was destroyed today, I wouldn't hesitate to replace it with another one.

I would very highly recommend getting an Invisible Shield for it, as it's saved mine many times, and also a good charger and rechargeable batteries.

You made a good choice with the 60CSx and I am sure you won't be dissappointed or suffer from any buyers remorse.

apologies in advance if this is a bit of a rant and I'm happy if a mod wants to remove the whole post.

Are you missing fingers? :lol: I have no problem operating my unit with one hand. Most data entry is done on the computer before I leave. Dull screen? Have you tried the oregon with no backlight turned on? The Oregon may be more user friendly, but not $300 worth of user-friendly... I paid $159 for my 60CSx, the Oregon was $461 on the same day.. I can buy a lot of accessories and beer with $300..

Hi, first let me say that it is worth realising that someone else on a forum may have and opinion and they may wish to express it. You may disagree but surely you must agree that it is churlish or even childish to use expressions like "are you missing fingers" in order to disparage a valid comment or opinion. Rather than make that sort of statement would it not be better to explain your view or even to ask me for further elucidation?

It may be very true that you have no problem with one handed operation (of the CSx) but I don't think anyone can really say that it will comfortably balance in one hand while entering data, unlike say the 76CSx. The rocker button has no tactile feedback and it is impossible to tell that it has registered a movement without checking, or more often using more pressure than one would use if tactile feedback was given, which is normal for this type of switch. Further the rocker button itself is scooped out in a concave manner, so rather than reposition the thumb at each edge every time one needs to shift the cursor, one tends to leave the thumb in the central position and push it from side to side. This is very inefficient. It does work though, and unless it was pointed out it could go unnoticed but really speaking it is bad design and contributes to rsi. You may indeed say you have no problem with this and I'm not going to argue that as it is your subjective reality. However even though subjectively you say you don't mind, the points I make are objective facts even if you subjectively don't care.

For example the rocker movement *is* spongy: Objective Fact. You may not care at all about the spongy rocker button, this is a subjective fact. But someone purchasing for the first time may very well wish to weight this up or better yet try it out in a store first.

Now to address the bit about "missing fingers" and "data entry", I understand that data entry can be done on a PC but quite often one will be in the car and perhaps you wish to enter an address, that needs to be done on the spot and you may even need to spell out a long address. Or you may even wish to name a new waypoint in the field. These sorts of data entries have to be done on the unit.

Now from memory the 'enter' button is a bit below and slightly to the right of the rocker switch, so if one hand is used then the thumb will be operating the spongy rocker switch and after scrolling to each specific letter then the thumb *must* come off the rocker and move to the 'enter' button then back to the rocker and this needs to be done for ever single letter. You can't get around this simple fact if you wish to operate it single handedly. Unlike say the etrex where the 'enter' button and the rocker switch are the same thing.

As I said I'm not saying that people may not like their 60CSx, it has other qualities, like not having a rubber surround where the glue can come unstuck, that may make up for it's deficiencies, I prefer the HCx but I'm still unhappy with the rubber surround problem although I have fixed it. All I'm saying is that there *are* contrary opinions out here in cyberspace and it's only polite to give them the respect they deserve without unnecessary personal attacks however slight. It makes for a much more useful forum and repository of information.

Please let me add that the comments I make about the 60CSx should in no way ever be taken as a personal attack on owners of this instrument.

Now coming back to the 'missing fingers' comment, the answer to your question is, 'no, I don't have any missing fingers', now in other forums where flaming and other boorish behaviour is tolerated your comment may evoke something like 'no, I don't, do you have any missing brain cells'. This is the sort of exchange that really ruins forums and I only give it as an example of the sort of thing that my admittedly pompous sounding post, is trying to avoid. Because of course neither of us are missing any vital components, we just want to share information not compete in some illusory competition.

apologies in advance if this is a bit of a rant and I'm happy if a mod wants to remove the whole post.

Are you missing fingers? :D I have no problem operating my unit with one hand. Most data entry is done on the computer before I leave. Dull screen? Have you tried the oregon with no backlight turned on? The Oregon may be more user friendly, but not $300 worth of user-friendly... I paid $159 for my 60CSx, the Oregon was $461 on the same day.. I can buy a lot of accessories and beer with $300..

Hi, first let me say that it is worth realising that someone else on a forum may have and opinion and they may wish to express it. You may disagree but surely you must agree that it is churlish or even childish to use expressions like "are you missing fingers" in order to disparage a valid comment or opinion. Rather than make that sort of statement would it not be better to explain your view or even to ask me for further elucidation?

It may be very true that you have no problem with one handed operation (of the CSx) but I don't think anyone can really say that it will comfortably balance in one hand while entering data, unlike say the 76CSx. The rocker button has no tactile feedback and it is impossible to tell that it has registered a movement without checking, or more often using more pressure than one would use if tactile feedback was given, which is normal for this type of switch. Further the rocker button itself is scooped out in a concave manner, so rather than reposition the thumb at each edge every time one needs to shift the cursor, one tends to leave the thumb in the central position and push it from side to side. This is very inefficient. It does work though, and unless it was pointed out it could go unnoticed but really speaking it is bad design and contributes to rsi. You may indeed say you have no problem with this and I'm not going to argue that as it is your subjective reality. However even though subjectively you say you don't mind, the points I make are objective facts even if you subjectively don't care.

For example the rocker movement *is* spongy: Objective Fact. You may not care at all about the spongy rocker button, this is a subjective fact. But someone purchasing for the first time may very well wish to weight this up or better yet try it out in a store first.

Now to address the bit about "missing fingers" and "data entry", I understand that data entry can be done on a PC but quite often one will be in the car and perhaps you wish to enter an address, that needs to be done on the spot and you may even need to spell out a long address. Or you may even wish to name a new waypoint in the field. These sorts of data entries have to be done on the unit.

Now from memory the 'enter' button is a bit below and slightly to the right of the rocker switch, so if one hand is used then the thumb will be operating the spongy rocker switch and after scrolling to each specific letter then the thumb *must* come off the rocker and move to the 'enter' button then back to the rocker and this needs to be done for ever single letter. You can't get around this simple fact if you wish to operate it single handedly. Unlike say the etrex where the 'enter' button and the rocker switch are the same thing.

As I said I'm not saying that people may not like their 60CSx, it has other qualities, like not having a rubber surround where the glue can come unstuck, that may make up for it's deficiencies, I prefer the HCx but I'm still unhappy with the rubber surround problem although I have fixed it. All I'm saying is that there *are* contrary opinions out here in cyberspace and it's only polite to give them the respect they deserve without unnecessary personal attacks however slight. It makes for a much more useful forum and repository of information.

Please let me add that the comments I make about the 60CSx should in no way ever be taken as a personal attack on owners of this instrument.

Now coming back to the 'missing fingers' comment, the answer to your question is, 'no, I don't have any missing fingers', now in other forums where flaming and other boorish behaviour is tolerated your comment may evoke something like 'no, I don't, do you have any missing brain cells'. This is the sort of exchange that really ruins forums and I only give it as an example of the sort of thing that my admittedly pompous sounding post, is trying to avoid. Because of course neither of us are missing any vital components, we just want to share information not compete in some illusory competition.

Take it easy, killer, it was tongue-in-cheek, relax.. :)

I dont want to create another thread but I have to say that less than a week with the 60csx I am disapointed with its performance and I am considering selling it for a colorado where at least I get the paperless caching feature.

But thats not why I am disapointed with the 60csx, its with its accuracy to take me to the cache.

I've used on five hunts and was able to only find two caches with it and that was because when walking in circle around the coords the pointer would point in the area where there was only one place where the cache would be (like a tree in an open space).

The other three attempts I wasnt able to find the cache with the unit and had to get the nuvi to help me find them.

What happens is that the 60csx has pretty good accuracy (5meters or less) the pointer/compass points me to the right direction but once I get close like say 10meters or so the pointer will bounce everywhere as its not consistent and I dont know where to go.

Today I was 2 meters away from the cache (had found it with the nuvi) and the pointer was pointing elsewhere and telling me that I was 5 meters away from destination.

Had to resort to the nuvi to get more accurate coords to find the cache.

Obviously I think I am doing something wrong with the 60csx.

How can I not find a cache with it when its accuracy is superior to my nuvi 255w?

First of all, I think you're expecting too much. You shouldn't expect your GPS to take you 'exactly' to the cache location. It depends on the accuracy of the hider's GPS too. 15 to 20 feet is pretty good. Then, stop relying on the equipment and use your eyes. Any consumer-grade GPS is going to bounce around like you've observed when very close to the cache. Also, did you calibrate the compass on the 60CSx? It really helps. I calibrate quite frequently and don't have any trouble. With only 5 attempts, I'd say you have even scratched the surface on the best methods of how to hunt for a cache. Give it some time. Rome wasn't built in a day.

I'm new at geocaching with only 65 finds but I love my 60csx. I used to use a nuvie 200w and switched to this after getting the amazon deal last week. I was surprised also about what I first thought was an accuracy problem but now feel like it has alot to do with the posted numbers. I used the nuvie in heavy woods before with an average EPE of about 30....my old yellow etrex would not even lock on....the same area with the 60csx gives me an EPE of less than 18 feet and sometimes down to 12......the best I have seen was 8 feet in the open.

I had difficulty finding a cache in the woods and eventually found it about 30 feet away from GZ. Others had reported the same problem with the numbers of the cache but I locked in the actual location in my unit. That night I fired up google earth and compared the two numbers. My new numbers apperared to be spot on and guess what, the differenct between the two sets was 32 feet!

No, this unit will not put you dead on the cache....but it will but you within 10-12 feet of the actual numbers most of the time. I think the problem is that the posted numbers for a cache are sometimes not as close as we thought. I may be guessing here but since I like to hear myself talk I will go ahead and give another thought. I wonder if some of the numbers reported for caches in the woods were taken during the summer when more leaves are on the trees.....maybe these are the ones that we are having more trouble finding? If the numbers were recorded with an EPE of 20 and we can go out now with an EPE of 10 then the cache may be found 30 feet away from GZ.

Now that I have shown my lack of understanding of geocaching and GPS use let me end by saying that I still feel that the 60csx is a great unit...it reminds me of the much more expensive units on my boats. I think that problems in using it are mostly from bad cache numbers. Like others have said, be sure to calibrate the compass. I use it right up to when the arrow goes crazy and then zero in using the actual numbers.

I marked a point in my yard two days ago. Every time I go out to play with my 60csx it puts me 10 feet or less of that point.....every time even on different days! I use a golf ball in the grass and there are no trees anywhere near it so I stare at the unit until it zeros out on the posted numbers...

I'm sure there are better units out there but for $160 I think it will be hard to beat this little guy! It may be more sensitive than other units and that may cause it to "bounce around" at GZ but I'll take it because its nice to just throw it in your pocket and walk through the woods...and never loose a signal lock....awesome!