Paperless caching with a Palm M515

I recently purchased a used Palm M515 for paperless caching it came with the hot sync cradle and charger but no software. I found a download from Palm for the Desktop 4.1.4 and Hot Sync Manager for Windows. Does anybody out there have a similar PDA that can give me some tips and is this 4.1.4 download compatible with Windows XP and Vista or is there an upgrade?

Hi Jedi,

I have 4.1.0 and it's working fine on both XP and Vista. Installing on XP I did nothing special. Installing on Vista might require a couple of precautions.

You might need to set the Palm.exe to XP compatibility and to run as admin. Just find the executable, right-click, Properties and select the appropriate settings.

In the worst case, some folks had to give admin priviledges to the installer (SETUP.EXE). If you're installing from a CD you would create a shortcut for the Setup.exe program on the desktop (right-click, Send To/Desktop as Shortcut). Then right-click the shortcut, Properties and Run As Admin.

Hope that helps.

...ken...

Jedi I have a M515 and use 4.1.4 works well with XP. Do not have

Vista. Do you use Skype?? Snoope.

Sorry Snoope, but don't have Skype.

Thanks everybody for all of the information. After I purchased this older Palm unit I thought to myself if it was even compatible with newer operating systems. I have XP now, but plan on purchasing a new computer and it seems like they all have Vista. I have heard good and bad things about Vista and am sort of skeptical.

I know this may be a little off subject, but what kind of processor does one recommend when purchasing a new computer these days? Don't know if I want to go with quad core.

... I know this may be a little off subject, but what kind of processor does one recommend when purchasing a new computer these days? Don't know if I want to go with quad core.

It's impossible to answer that question without knowing quite a bit about what you do with your computer that requires horsepower, and what kind of power it needs .. lots of CPU performance, lots of graphics performance, lots of hard disk performance, bags of RAM?

If you don't do anything but web browsing and email and Microsoft Office stuff, the only reason you need a new one is "Just Because..." (the most common and most honest reason). If that's the case, just go find the best package that fits your budget and buy it.

If you're a hardcore gamer .... well, you aren't or you wouldn't even be asking the question in a geocaching forum. ;)

Is there anything you do with it right now that needs a boost? Things you start up and then go find a cup of coffee while you wait for it to get done?

...ken...