Spoiler Photos

Jedi Cacher

I recently had some newbies post a photo on one of my caches showing the location and the camouflaged concealment of the container. I have never had this happen while being a cache owner and just wanted some advice on what to do. I do not want to come off being rude if I contact the finders and ask them to remove the photo. Or I can just leave it alone and hope nobody looks at the photo gallery. It is a great photo as the cachers looked very proud to have found it, but I don't want the photo to ruin the fun of the hunt for future cachers.

I ran into this myself with my first cache. It is fairly unique and gets some good comments in the log. Most people haven't posed spoiler photos in the gallery, but one well-meaning person did. I contacted her and asked as politely as I could if she could remove it, and she did at once. She replied to my email that it was removed "as requested" and I couldn't tell for sure if she was insulted, but the photo did get pulled and now new customers get more of the full effect.

Don't assume that people "won't look in the gallery". If I have time to check out a cache page, I try getting whatever info I can out of it, which includes the gallery at times. Just ask nicely that they pull the photo in question and explain that you want more people to have that "WOW" moment when they finally find the cache unaided. Most people are reasonable I think, but if they're not remember that you're trying to help others to enjoy your cache just as much as that person obviously did. Isn't that why you placed it to begin with?

I only look in photo galleries when I need the extra hint to find the cache. I don't see any reason why somebody who doesn't need extra help would even look in the gallery, unless there's a camera in the cache for cachers to take their picture. So if I were you I wouldn't pull it. I don't see it as a potential spoiler for those who don't want to be spoiled.

Just my .02. If you really think its a spoiler, take a deep breath, type a pleasant note thanking them for taking the effort to find your cache, and the nice log, a couple comments about the high quality of the posted pic, how you hope they enjoyed the find, an invitation to try a couple of your other caches in the area...and with minimal drama, explain that their wonderful photo is kind of a spoiler and may give away too much for future seekers, ask if they have another to post, also ask if they can email you a copy of the original for your enjoyment. These :laughing::blink::D will get you farther than these :):):)

But I have a feeling you knew that already. ;)

I only look in photo galleries when I need the extra hint to find the cache. I don't see any reason why somebody who doesn't need extra help would even look in the gallery

I've seldom gotten an extra hint from a photo in a gallery. However, I do enjoy the pictures many people put in the logs. Many of us like to see pictures of other's adventures while caching. Putting faces with the names, or seeing cachers, their family, pets, caching vehicle, etc.

Some of us would like to see more pictures, but make sure the pic. doesn't give any hints to the cache. ;):P

Edited by uxorious

I've gotten hints from photo galleries before. I don't believe I've ever seen any spoiler pictures of unique camo jobs, but just the knowledge that I'm looking for an ammo can or a specific size lock-n-lock can help quite a bit in the search. It's no different than the little clues some people leave in logs.

And I've heard of people being able to bypass solving a hard puzzle when the "I Found It" picture includes identifiable features in the background such as unique buildings or graffiti.

It seems that, for the most part, folks won't go searching your galleries prior to hunting a cache. In this age of PQs, it's often only at the time of logging, that we even see the cache page. So, for the average cache, I would not sweat it. The biggest exception to this that I've seen are caches that reach legendary status through word of mouth. Kind of a "Hey, you guys love a challenge? Check out Evil Micro # 2!" Those caches perceived as truly challenging by the community often get additional scrutiny prior to the hunt. For instance, were I to attempt one of Vinny's PUC caches, I'd be pouring over every past photo and log, looking for anything that may come in handy.

I checked out the cache in question, and I think your concerns are valid, as it certainly fits the "challenging hide" criteria.

Send those two a nice e-mail explaining your concern, and ask them to do the needful.

It's a newbie mistake. So I would email them and nicely tell them that you are giving them 2-3 days to delete the spoiler photo. Then tell them if they don't then you will be forced to delete their log. Finally tell them that they are welcome to re-log the cache without the photo if you end up having to delete their log.

Edit: typo

Edited by TrailGators

I only look in photo galleries when I need the extra hint to find the cache. I don't see any reason why somebody who doesn't need extra help would even look in the gallery, unless there's a camera in the cache for cachers to take their picture.

In many cases, you're really cheating yourself and missing out on a whole 'nuther side to geocaching. There are some awesome photographs in some of the galleries.

To the OP's question... you will only come off as rude if you are rude. Just explain that you do not want spoiler pictures and would they please remove it? If they do, you have no more problems. If they don't, one more emailed warning that you will have no choice but to delete their log if they don't remove the picture. If there's still no action... delete their log. They can always re-log it if they want to.

I've gotten hints from photo galleries before. I don't believe I've ever seen any spoiler pictures of unique camo jobs, but just the knowledge that I'm looking for an ammo can or a specific size lock-n-lock can help quite a bit in the search. It's no different than the little clues some people leave in logs.

And I've heard of people being able to bypass solving a hard puzzle when the "I Found It" picture includes identifiable features in the background such as unique buildings or graffiti.

I was able to *verify* that I had solve a puzzle correctly using a photo in the logs which had some graffiti but the photo had nothing to do with helping solve the puzzle. Only after I had the correct coordinates was I able to compare that photo with a satellite image and determine that the coordinates were correct.

I take it back!! I just saw the cache and the spoiler and I'd now have to recommend Prime Suspect's suggestion... delete the log now, and then send them the email. You've created an evil micro and they openly reveal the trick behind your hard work.

I checked also and it looks like they posted photos on 2 of the 3 evil micro caches, both of which would be spoilers for anyone looking at the logs.

One of the photos gave me an idea on how a cache that I DNFed on might be hidden.

After looking at the photos they certainly would help in the search. I would ask them to delete the photo. There are times that I've had similar photos on my hides and done that. Some reactions have been good and some less so. I think a good thing for a cache owner would be to have the option of deleting the photo without deleting the log.

There are certainly experienced caches who love to put 'c;ever hints' to mystery caches in their logs. But even they won't post spoiler pictures. That's mostly a newbie problem. While I seldom read logs, or look at photos before searching for a cache the first time, there a many cachers who do. They can see the photo on the log. That is why I'd probably go for: Delete the log, and offer them the chance to relog without the offending photo. And explain why you have done that.

I take it back!! I just saw the cache and the spoiler and I'd now have to recommend Prime Suspect's suggestion... delete the log now, and then send them the email. You've created an evil micro and they openly reveal the trick behind your hard work.

I checked also and it looks like they posted photos on 2 of the 3 evil micro caches, both of which would be spoilers for anyone looking at the logs.

One of the photos gave me an idea on how a cache that I DNFed on might be hidden.

Thanks for the heads up on the 2nd photo and I can't believe I didn't catch that one. It certainly looks like they have given both hiding places away. Unbelievable!!! :D They are newbies so I will cut them some slack and explain caching etiquette and politely ask them to remove the photos. I hope they don't find my #3 anytime soon and post a photo, as that one is a work of genius and absolutely evil.

One other thought that has not yet been mentioned.

You can be more proactive about this in the future adding a note on the listing asking that cache refrain from posting any photos which show the cache container and hide area and specifically indicated that any logs containing spoiler photos will be deleted.

I've got one cache for which I ask that photos not be posted. It has nothing to do with impacting the difficulty of the hide (which is very easy) but the container is fun and unique so I'd rather not have others spoil the surprise.

Sorry Jedi Cacher! Team Birdfish sincerely apologizes to anyone affected by our newbie error. All photos have now been removed. And thanks to Jedi Cacher for being very polite when asking us to remove the photo. You could have been an a-hole but instead chose to take the high road and be patient with a couple of nubes. Hopefully we didnt ruin the fun of the search for anyone. Dr. Evil's Micro Challenges have been the most difficult yet most rewarding caches we have searched for yet. This weekend we are going after #3 and I PROMISE no pics will be posted.

Sorry Jedi Cacher! Team Birdfish sincerely apologizes to anyone affected by our newbie error. All photos have now been removed. And thanks to Jedi Cacher for being very polite when asking us to remove the photo. You could have been an a-hole but instead chose to take the high road and be patient with a couple of nubes. Hopefully we didnt ruin the fun of the search for anyone. Dr. Evil's Micro Challenges have been the most difficult yet most rewarding caches we have searched for yet. This weekend we are going after #3 and I PROMISE no pics will be posted.

Dude & Dudette - I think everyone who posted here knew you ment no harm in it. I agree they were spoilers but also loved how proud you guys looked and apparent you were having fun. NOW EVERYONE, please let them know the 'unspoken ground rules on photos"

Pretty awesome responses and attitudes from all parties. Welcome to caching!!

And for what it's worth, pictures are normally very welcome additions to logs unless they're spoilers.

Hey, thanks allot guys! :D I really do appreciate that and you are definitely a class act. :D I wasn't for sure if you received my message last night as an error code popped up when I sent it. I will admit they were great photos and really looks like you guys had fun finding those pesky micros. But they did reveal too much info about the cache. Photos are welcome on the logs as long as they don't reveal the hiding spot. I enjoy looking at other cachers photos and adds a finishing touch to the whole geocaching adventure. I don't really see anything wrong with posing with ammo cans as they are usually in the cache description.

Most geocachers are a friendly bunch and will help out in any way and love to share the adventures of geocaching. So thanks again and Happy Caching! :D

Can you believe the crazy imagination of WatchDog2020! :)

I had this happen with a cacher taking a pic of an unusual container I placed.

{GC184VP}

It didn't give the cache site away but took the surprise away. I asked him to think of the fun he had the moment he discovered this cache and to think of the fun he would take away from any future seeker's who saw his post. That all I said and the guy removed it and sent a email thanking me for helping him understand the geo-caching better.

Warning. Spoilers may be included in the descriptions or links.

This is on every log page. What is it for if spoilers are not allowed???? I be confused :lol:

I understand the jist of the thread and agree - I am just pointing something out. For sure a note on a cache to not post pictures of the container are in order if that is what the cache hider wants. Other wise the warning is in order - no?

Edited by Frank Broughton
Warning. Spoilers may be included in the descriptions or links.

This is on every log page. What is it for if spoilers are not allowed???? I be confused :lol:

Difference is the definition (as I was taught them) of the too-often-transposed words "may" and "might".

'May', to me, is indicative of some sort of permission granted, e.g. "You may go to outside now"

'Might' denotes a possibility of something, e.g. "It might be raining there".

In this case, I think Groundspeak mis-speaks & the statement should say "Spoilers might be included..." See the diff?

~*

Edited by Star*Hopper