Best way to glue a magnet?

waterwitch2

I had been working on this recently. I had two rare earth magnets glued to the inside a container to hold the lid closed.

I tried epoxy, and after about a month, it came loose.

I ended up getting some construction calking glue. Works like a charm! A little messy, but holds great!

I had been working on this recently. I had two rare earth magnets glued to the inside a container to hold the lid closed.

I tried epoxy, and after about a month, it came loose.

I ended up getting some construction calking glue. Works like a charm! A little messy, but holds great!

You mean something like Liquid Nails?

I was wondering what's the best way to glue a rare earth magnet to a metal or plastic container? Should I sand the surfaces of the magnet and the container lightly and then use an epoxy such as JB weld?

I dremel the surface of container and surface of magnet then superglue it. obviously this wouldn't work on plastics as the glue would attack the plastic.

I've tried a variety of adhsives, gorilla glue, 5 minute epoxy, PC7, PC11, Marine Goop and others but they all fail eventually.

I've found that the best way is just to put the magnet inside the container and use a little duct tape to hold it in place. Depending on the containers size two to four rare earth magnets in the lid will hold a container in place place.

3809d193-4a67-4012-b04d-361c62b86910.jpg

e338b36b-0d46-453a-9744-ef44c4bc40c5.jpg

4b44e0e5-7d15-40a3-b2b5-eb5a6764ae4a.jpg

6220fc2d-79ea-4332-ba11-880a4e4337e7.jpg

Edited by briansnat

I've tried a variety of adhsives, gorilla glue, 5 minute epoxy, PC7, PC11, Marine Goop and others but they all fail eventually.

I've found that the best way is just to put the magnet inside the container and use a little duct tape to hold it in place. Depending on the containers size two to four rare earth magnets in the lid will hold a container in place place.

that one should be easy enough to find :D:D:D:D:D:P:D

I was wondering what's the best way to glue a rare earth magnet to a metal or plastic container? Should I sand the surfaces of the magnet and the container lightly and then use an epoxy such as JB weld?

Marine-Tex is the answer, kinda spendy but it is JB weld on steroids. i have made repairs to metal and plastic with the stuff and never had it fail. One repair is on my 69 FLH (Harley). It developed an oil leak at the bottom of the oil tank that turned out to be a crack that was non accessible from the outside. Cleaned the inside with Brakleen and put a patch on the inside. 2 years and still holding. Also my gps cradle has 1 long screw attaching it to the bracket on my fairing. The boss the hole runs thru was broke away from the cradle and i repaired it with the stuff and still using it.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userp...arine-Tex+Epoxy

Well, I find JB Weld is the only glue I have found that holds magnets.

I roughen up the surface inside the container where the magnet is to be attached and apply the JP Weld. Stick the magnet on the glue and apply more so it laps over the top of the magnet. THEN, apply another magnet on the OUTSIDE of the container to hold the magnet in place until the JP Weld fully sets. Let it set at least 2 to 3 days minimum (longer if possible).

I am a regular user of hard drive magnets, and have found JP Weld as the best.

Mailboxes are considered federal property, and federal law (Title 18, United States Code, Section 1705), makes it a crime to vandalize them (or to injure, deface or destroy any mail deposited in them). Violators can be fined up to $250,000, or imprisoned for up to three years, for each act of vandalism.

Mailboxes are considered federal property, and federal law (Title 18, United States Code, Section 1705), makes it a crime to vandalize them (or to injure, deface or destroy any mail deposited in them). Violators can be fined up to $250,000, or imprisoned for up to three years, for each act of vandalism.

You aren't going to turn me in, are you?

Man I am SO screwed for all of those teenage games of mailbox baseball. ;)

My oldest son gave me a set of antique metal canisters a while back, which I gave away during a CITO event. The body was non-ferrous, (aluminum?), while the screw on lid was ferrous. I tried Gorilla Glue, 5 Minute Extra Strength Epoxy and J.B. Weld to hold rare earth magnets to the bottom of the film cans. They all failed. The glue stuck to the magnets fairly well, but peeled off of the film cans. An old post by Briansnat regarding a similar topic steered me in the right direction, (unbeknownst to him), and the magnets went inside the film cans, held in place with just a dab of epoxy.

So, a long overdue "Thanx!" goes to Briansnat for offering a great idea to a different cacher, which I plagiarized.

So long as the magnets are inside the container, you don't need any exotic adhesives. ;)

A few years ago I was given a couple hundred 4"t 1/2"d glass and 50 PET flat bottom test tubes.

I came up with an idea to make a magnetic rack to make maximize use of my lighting system. I used superglue, gorilla glue, jb, epoxy and a few other adherents. Gorilla glue was the worst offender on both types but ultimately nothing held.

My micro is an acrylic box. I swabbed the bottom with acetone to soften the plastic then I superglue the magnets and used magnets on the inside to hold them tight then made sure the glue had as much surface contact with the magnet as possible including going up its sides. Then I gave it a couple of weeks to cure.

It's been stated but it is worth stating again.

The best way to do it, is to put the magnets inside if you have the room.

Inside, when removing the container your only putting force on the container.

Outside, the force has to go container, glue then magnet and glue is the weak spot.

I've only used JB Weld, but with mixed results. Perhaps it's a matter of using too much, but the magnetic force seems to draw the epoxy up and over the edges of the magnet before it fully cures, and I have to scrape or chip it off for the magnet to get a good flat surface to stick to whatever the cache will be stuck to.

Having the magnet in the container is always best, but not always possible. With something like a fake electrical switch blanking plate used as a thin cache the magnets will be in contact with the ferrous surface that the plate is attached to.

~erik~

Great. Now Briansnat is going to get thrown in the clink for three years. With our luck he'll probably hide a cache in the overcrowded mailbox offenders ward and dare all of us to do what it takes to find it.

Seriously Funny Nose, do you feel better now that you have gotten that off your chest?

Edited by Team GeoBlast

I've only used JB Weld, but with mixed results. Perhaps it's a matter of using too much, but the magnetic force seems to draw the epoxy up and over the edges of the magnet before it fully cures, and I have to scrape or chip it off for the magnet to get a good flat surface to stick to whatever the cache will be stuck to.~erik~

JB Weld has steel particles, so it will react by changing shape. You have to scrape away the areas that move over the magnet as it is cures, before it hardens completely.

Polyurethane glues like Gorilla are good for materials like plastic, but they expand/foam as they cure, so you have to watch and wipe.

Great. Now Briansnat is going to get thrown in the clink for three years. With our luck he'll probably hide a cache in the overcrowded mailbox offenders ward and dare all of us to do what it takes to find it.

Seriously Funny Nose, do you feel better now that you have gotten that off your chest?

Naw. That's Brian's mailbox. He's allowed to decorate it any way he wants.

Naw. That's Brian's mailbox. He's allowed to decorate it any way he wants.

I can see the DA having his way with him now.

"Mr Briansnat.. please answer these questions:

Did you vandalize your mailbox? No.

Did you injure your mailbox? No.

Did you deface your mailbox? No.

Did you destroy your mailbox? No.

Did you stick a piece of tupperware with a magnet to it?

Well, yes I did.

Ah, ha! A confession!

Judge, I would like recommend that we impose the maximum sentence with no possibility of parole in order to make an example of him."

Nothin' much to add to the thread - I mostly just wanted to post Bri's pix one more time for the tens-of-thousands of those who didn't see 'em the first 19 times they were re-posted.

& his mailbox decor? I've seen worse.

:lol:

~*

Nothin' much to add to the thread - I mostly just wanted to post Bri's pix one more time for the tens-of-thousands of those who didn't see 'em the first 19 times they were re-posted.

& his mailbox decor? I've seen worse.

:D

~*

Darn cachers don't practice trade even or trade up. They've already stripped his cache clean, including the logbook. :lol:

that one should be easy enough to find :D:D:D:lol::DB):D

Yeah....you would think. Now if we could just get him to put a Big Pile Of Sticks around it.............!! :ph34r:

I think it is Seagate hdd's that have screw holes in the magnets, so you can just screw them in.

You know what? This really might be something that magnet manufacturers should look at. Although placing the magnet on the inside is usually a workable solution, you lose functionality.

Actually even better than a screw hole like in the hard drive magnets, would be a small bolt embedded into a magnet that you could thread a nut on.

I think it is Seagate hdd's that have screw holes in the magnets, so you can just screw them in.
You know what? This really might be something that magnet manufacturers should look at. Although placing the magnet on the inside is usually a workable solution, you lose functionality.

Actually even better than a screw hole like in the hard drive magnets, would be a small bolt embedded into a magnet that you could thread a nut on.

I went to K&J Magnetics and bought rare earth magnets with holes in them.

RE22CS-N.jpgRX054E.jpg

A few of these bolted to the outside of an ammo can, with some rubber cement to make the bolt holes in the ammo can water proof, and the ammo can can now be stuck to the back of a guardrail! Heh. Some rubber cement over the top also protects the magnets from being banged too much since they're somewhat brittle and can break.

I make sure to smear glue over and under the rare earth magnets because they will rust is the silver plating chips off. I use Goop. I put magnets inside a container to hold the ones on the outside and I glue the magnet to a bolt head screwed in my wooden caches that include magnets.