ExPlorist 500, fried

hukilaulau

I was trying to upload some waypoints via geocache manager, as I have been doing successfully for 3 years. This was on a new computer running Vista.

first think was, a message saying the computer could not find a gps device, even though it appeared to be connected. I tried rebooting, uninstalling and reinstalling geocache manager from the disk, and then suddenly the gps just went dark and wouldn't turn back on. I can see the words "File transfer mode active" on the dark screen. Any way to revive this unit or is it toast? Thanks in advance!

All is not lost.

First try this.

Press the Nav button and Menu button at the same time as the Power button. Or you could remove the batteries. This will get it out of that firmware upload mode.

If it does not power on after that and only looks like you get a slightly darker screen, then you will have to upload firmware. Get it from Magellan or http://www.gpsinformation.net/ but I'll have to find the exact link there.

Then press the Light button and the Enter (or clickstick center) button at the same time as the Power button. Then run the firmware program that you obtained.

When all else fails, you can use an SD card with a reader. That way you don't have to worry about making sure your GPSr connects correctly with your computer. Just make sure to put the card in your GPSr once before you load caches onto it, to format it.

That sounds like a good, simple solution. I'll try it! I also ordered a new cable, since I have the previously discussed "stripped thread" problem. Thought there was a chance this was affecting connectivity even though it still works for charging. Also, I did find some Vista drivers for the 500 online, but that didn't work since the computer won't recognize the unit to begin with. The exact message I get is "USB device not recognized" as soon as I plug it in, so the computer knows SOMETHING is there...

Thanks for the suggestions!

When all else fails, you can use an SD card with a reader. That way you don't have to worry about making sure your GPSr connects correctly with your computer. Just make sure to put the card in your GPSr once before you load caches onto it, to format it.

OK, my new computer has a built in SD card reader. The card opens as an F: drive just fine, but I can't open the .gs files. So how do I get the caches onto the card? I usually PQ bookmark lists as .gpx files and download them to my desktop. What do I do from there?

OK, my new computer has a built in SD card reader. The card opens as an F: drive just fine, but I can't open the .gs files. So how do I get the caches onto the card? I usually PQ bookmark lists as .gpx files and download them to my desktop. What do I do from there?

I use MapSend Lite v2. It can read/write both .gpx and .gs files.

I use MapSend Lite v2. It can read/write both .gpx and .gs files.

Finally! Success :(

The first problem was getting GSAK to work. After two days in the GSAK help fourms, I finally got it to work, EXCEPT that when I tried to send a PQ file the the 500, the folder was there but...EMPTY!

Then I tried the MapSend Lite solution, and after a bit of tinkering that worked just fine!

So even though it's a little more cumbersome, at least now I can get new caches onto my 500 without treating it like a 200 (one at a time by hand)

Thanks for all the suggestions! You saved my sanity!