Trimble Geocache Navigator - User Feedback

knypha

Howdy,

I have recently installed Trimble Geocache Navigator onto my N95. it is now almost too easy to go geocaching. I am wondering how many other users in Australia have tried this software out and if they could let us all know what they thought as well.

Cheers!

Knypha

It's all I've been using on a Nokia 6110 since April last year. Very handy for ad-hoc cachers like myself!

Even been using it offline for the last 4 month doing a small amount of caching while travelling as it's the only program I've got on the phone that you can put a waypoint in and follow the arrow to GZ! (The build in program just says "arrived" when you get sub-10m)

Online it's a great piece of software. Adding waypoint manually is very quick and easy as the phone has a NUMBER PAD! Why haven't any GPSr manufacturers added this?

Reception and accuracy when using it seems fine and with assisted GPS enabled on the phone I have been able to find caches in poor reception areas (inner city caches) much easier than before.

Complaints would be there is no feature to save waypoints. Downloaded or manually entered. Shut down the program and everything is gone.

I use the software with my Nokia E71. Unfortunatley the GPSr in the Nokia is not the best in town. If you are far away from the cache, you can follow the pointer but the closer you come the worse it gets. The pointer jumps from left to right and so on. In the woods it is useless, in streets with tall buildings as well.

It is a nice addon to view the logs and hints and in combination with a "real" GPSr a good tool for paperless caching.

my 2cents

I purchased Navigator about an hour and a half ago and can't get it to install. I clicked the OTA install, which I assume means over the air, but nothing ever happens. It keeps downloading some file to my desktop, but that's not exactly over the air. I'm totally lost and may cancel the purchase if it never downloads to my BlackBerry.

OK, a phone call to Trimble's customer service resolved the issue. They had me load a free trial application which finally started the OTA download. They then reset my account back to the annual that I paid for. Don't know why the original install instructions were not correct, but they got it working after all.

Hi All,

Just wondering if anybody has worked out how to install Gpx or POI to the trimble program,

or is it the only way to use the program is online and in reception range?

I am using Nokia 6110 Navigator.

So i guess the question is can you install data from GsaK to any program for a SIS s60 v3 phone?

Hi All,

Just wondering if anybody has worked out how to install Gpx or POI to the trimble program,

I am using Nokia 6110 Navigator.

So i guess the question is can you install data from GsaK to any program for a SIS s60 v3 phone?

My understanding is you have to grab the cache data from gc.com in realtime. So the answer to your question re: importing a GPX file is no.

If you can take GPX data exported from GSAK and load it into your S60 phone, then you should try SmartGPX (www.smartcaching.de). I think it's better than Trimble, especially now that it works with the GPSx. The only downside is that the data you're playing with is only as current as the GPX file.

Have to be online to get data into the program. You can add waypoints manually ie for a for multi cache but its obviously just a waypoint.

Couple of programs I know of. Trekbuddy and SmartGPX.