Aerial Photos on garmin

rll77

Anyone out there had any luck at georeferencing aerial photos and installing them on gps ?

Mapwel will do this, I've not used it, yet. On my to do list. Why not run the free demo and tell us what you think.

snp_autovector.gif

ok. Thanks think i ve tried every software but that one . thanks . I ll check it out !

Ok hermit, if you re out there. Mapwel works great. So much more user friendly than moagu. Managed to get aerial photo of my property onto my vista hcx. USELESS !!!! Takes a day and a half for the gps to do any drawing , then, when its finally done, its to washed out to see any thing , even on highest map detail and at 800 ft. I Give Up ! Should have got a Pn-40 !!!!

Ok hermit, if you re out there. Mapwel works great. So much more user friendly than moagu. Managed to get aerial photo of my property onto my vista hcx. USELESS !!!! Takes a day and a half for the gps to do any drawing , then, when its finally done, its to washed out to see any thing , even on highest map detail and at 800 ft. I Give Up ! Should have got a Pn-40 !!!!

You can always put the Vista up for sale in the Garage Sale section and then put that money towards a PN-40. You'll find a buyer for it pretty quick, I sold my PN-20 withing a few days of listing it up. But really, besides the aerial imagery, the Vista HCx and PN-40 are pretty similar, and you don't really NEED the aerial imagery to find a cache, but it is pretty cool! I'm actually glad you tried the imagery thing on your Vista, I was curious to try it on my Legend HCx, but I won't even bother now, I'll just whip out my PN-40 :D

You can always put the Vista up for sale in the Garage Sale section and then put that money towards a PN-40. You'll find a buyer for it pretty quick, I sold my PN-20 withing a few days of listing it up. But really, besides the aerial imagery, the Vista HCx and PN-40 are pretty similar, and you don't really NEED the aerial imagery to find a cache, but it is pretty cool! I'm actually glad you tried the imagery thing on your Vista, I was curious to try it on my Legend HCx, but I won't even bother now, I'll just whip out my PN-40 :D

I've never owned a Vista HCX, but will it do the paperless caching? Can it route right out of the box? Does the maps come included? Can you load NOAA, Aerial, sat and other maps effortlessly and have them work?

I love my PN-40!! What similarities does it have to the Vista?

I've never owned a Vista HCX, but will it do the paperless caching? Can it route right out of the box? Does the maps come included? Can you load NOAA, Aerial, sat and other maps effortlessly and have them work?

It's the usual split decision between those two units:

Vista HCX - very good accurate GPS, very deep GPS function, solid unit. No aerial images, no paperless caching ability (unless you do some data manipulation with a third party program, and the results ain't pretty). Limited garmin geocaching mode... geneic icon for a cache, mark as found, no cache description etc. With City Navigator maps it's a *very* good road navigator, clear bright auto-routing and displays. Bright screen. You can get all of US roads and POI and a decent chunk of topo imagery on 2Gb SD card.

PN-40 - very good accurate GPS, very deep GPS function (identical almost to the HCX / 60CSX in terms of menus / function..same receiver as the HCX) , some teething issues with connectivity etc. One of the "Next gen" caching units, soon to have full paperless caching ability via a new firmware update. Has it to some extent now, but little limited.. (text limited, generic caching icon, no field note integration etc) Will accept high res topo and aerial imagery with a (cheap) annual subscription. Trade off is that this takes lots of memory space, so is good for caching in the same areas or lots of prep work need when you go outta town..but you get some wow images. Road navigation and accuracy (topo-based, no one-way road information for example) is very poor, POI coverage is mediocre, auto-routing is not good. Small screen and no magnified turn indicators for example, but bright, hi res).

The real comparison for the PN-40 is either the garmin Colorado / Oregon as they are part of this "next gen caching" wave.

1. PN-40...excellent map / imagery coverage. Advanced GPS functions. Paperless caching (RSN..real soon now ).

2. Colarado/Oregon .. excellent road navigation. Slightly dumbed down GPS functions. Excellent paperless caching. Big screens.

3. Vista HCX... excellent road navigation. Advanced GPS functions. No paperless caching. No imagery.

Edited by Maingray

You can always put the Vista up for sale in the Garage Sale section and then put that money towards a PN-40. You'll find a buyer for it pretty quick, I sold my PN-20 withing a few days of listing it up. But really, besides the aerial imagery, the Vista HCx and PN-40 are pretty similar, and you don't really NEED the aerial imagery to find a cache, but it is pretty cool! I'm actually glad you tried the imagery thing on your Vista, I was curious to try it on my Legend HCx, but I won't even bother now, I'll just whip out my PN-40 ;)

Well, i guess by "similar" I meant that they both have the same size color screen, high sensitivity receiver, barometric altimiter, and electronic compass. Sure, the Vista HCx needs extra software purchased to do routing, but it costs less than the PN-40, so even buying the software for that gets the price about even with the PN-40. But, yeah, the PN-40 can do the imagery stuff that the Vista HCx can't do, and the Vista HCx can't do paperless, but those are the two biggest differences between them. More similarities than differences, although the differences are kind of big.

PN-40 - ..same receiver as the HCX

Small correction: The PN-40 has the same receiver as the Oregon (STM Cartesio), not the HCx series (MediaTek MTK).

Wow, I suck at wording things in this thread! I didn't mean the PN-40 and HCx series have the same receiver, just that they both had a high-sensitivity receiver, but the way I worded it does make it sound like they have the same receiver, my bad.

Edit: And now I notice that it wasn't even me you quoted! :lol: Well, I wasn't totally clear either, but maybe I should step away from this thread for a few!

Edited by HondaH8er

Anyone out there had any luck at georeferencing aerial photos and installing them on gps ? I know its possible. It sure would be useful for me . Just seems real difficult and not sure if my gps can keep up ! Anyone help on this would be great ! Thanks.

Roger that, HondaH8er. And the original question, quoted above, has nothing to do with any receiver characteristics.