Geowoodstock 2009

Lizzy

I emailed a bunch of caching friends already, but thought others might be interested. Airfare as low as $75 one way flights Seattle-Nashville & back if you book flights midweek. You have to play around with the dates to get the cheap fares to show up (example: fly down on May 20, return on May 26). SW Airlines. I'm hoping that this isn't too "commercial" of a post - there's probably cachers who couldn't afford the regular airfare rates.

Edited to add: TODAY IS THE LAST DAY OF THIS SALE (JANUARY 22)

Edited by Lizzy

Yep, we're paying $298+tax ($317) RT - I bought my tickets during the first sale back in December - I was a bit bummed to see this sale come along, until I realized that the non-stop flights weren't on it. It's still costing us a bundle with all 3 of us going!

We're making it a family visit trip too though (kind of justifying it that way), with visits to my mom-n-law in Nashville & my sis coming over from Memphis to do some Genealogy stuff down closer to Chattanooga.

Yep, we're paying $298+tax ($317) RT - I bought my tickets during the first sale back in December - I was a bit bummed to see this sale come along, until I realized that the non-stop flights weren't on it. It's still costing us a bundle with all 3 of us going!

We're making it a family visit trip too though (kind of justifying it that way), with visits to my mom-n-law in Nashville & my sis coming over from Memphis to do some Genealogy stuff down closer to Chattanooga.

When I checked it out, I saw the nonstops listed! Which is why I was really bummed, cos I wasn't able to get the nonstop outbound and I coulda saved $140. Grrr.

Email me with your plans, maybe we can hook up in Tennessee! That would be neat. Besides GW in Bell Buckle, I'll be visiting family and friends in Nashville, Franklin, Pulaski, and Memphis.

An option for those who don't want to fly or drive from home, is a 15 day USA Railpass. If you have the time and want to cache in a few new cities, check it out. The options from WA are Empire Builder to Chicago or Coast Starlight to SAC and California Zephyr to Chicago. From Chicago the choices are City of New Orleans to Memphis or Capitol Limited to Washington DC and Crescent to either Atlanta GA or Anniston AL.

Bell Buckle is 190 to 240 miles from each of these.

In the past 7 years, I've traveled over 35,000 miles on the rails of the US and Canada, mostly on various railpasses.

Sorry I can't make it this year but I have a job that starts on Sunday May 24 in Oregon. We had a great time in Wheatland, CA last year.

I'm happy to answer questions for anyone who is considering rail travel in the USA.

For a while, I was terrified to fly. We took a 3 day Amtrak trip - Everett to Chicago to Memphis. We had a sleeper on both legs of the trip & it was comfortable, but I can't sleep in an auto, much less a train. You think I'd think of that??!! 3 days without sleep = basket case. I ended up popping Sleeping pills for the return leg. The rails between Memphis & Chicago are freight rails & VERY rough. You had to "time it" to get through the doors between cars & hang on tight to keep from falling down. It was horrible. I'm kind of a private person & I didn't care for being seated with strangers for dinner - a bit intimidating for me. I'd rather drive cross country, but we can't afford the time off for that anymore.

I just can't keep this to myself. I've been dancing the "woohoo" dance all day long. I've got 4 nights booked in the Doubletree Hotel in Murfreesboro to stay during Geowoodstock for - get this - FREE!!!!!

Total value = $151 x 4 days = $604 for NOTHING.

I've been following a thread in Slick Deals on a travel promo - World for $1 and nabbed one at 3:45am this morning.

I'm still skeptical - a little - but not much. Skeptical enough to keep my original hotel in Murfreesboro until I check in to the Doubletree. You can google it, or you can email me & I'll give you the links. I'm so excited!!!!!!!!!

I just can't keep this to myself. I've been dancing the "woohoo" dance all day long. I've got 4 nights booked in the Doubletree Hotel in Murfreesboro to stay during Geowoodstock for - get this - FREE!!!!!

Total value = $151 x 4 days = $604 for NOTHING.

I've been following a thread in Slick Deals on a travel promo - World for $1 and nabbed one at 3:45am this morning.

I'm still skeptical - a little - but not much. Skeptical enough to keep my original hotel in Murfreesboro until I check in to the Doubletree. You can google it, or you can email me & I'll give you the links. I'm so excited!!!!!!!!!

Wow, that's hard to beat... oh wait, I get to stay with my cousins and drink their wine for free....never mind. :)

Seriously, I'm impressed. Kudos for your determination and managing to snag that deal! :laughing: