I want to hide a cache, but should I?

sarahbelle

I've been geocaching for a few years, but I don't have a lot of finds yet. My goal for this year is to at least double my finds. My question, however, is about hiding. I'd like to have at least 50 finds before I even try to hide a cache, but I'm concerned about maintenance. My husband has been getting transferred for work about once a year, so far in the same general area, but we're looking at quite a move the next time, probably about 500km. I really want to be able to contribute because I have so much fun when I actually get to go out searching, but if I'm going to make a cache, I want it to be a good one that I don't have to give up on if I end up having to move. It may be another 4-5 years before we're able to settle down and stay in one place for a while, but I feel bad just finding other people's caches and not helping by hiding my own. What should I do?

Go for it! There is no relationship between the number of finds and hides, get it out there!

If you leave the area and it is a good cache someone in your area will want to adopt it from you... but nothing says caches have to live forever - if you don't want to adopt it out then archive it, those who had a chance to find it will be grateful for your having hidden it.

Agreed.

Only you can prevent forest fires decide when it is the right time to hide a cache. If you feel like you should wait (for whatever reason), wait. If you think that now is a good time to place a cache, place one. If at some later date, you get transferred out of the area, you can either archive the cache or see if someone wants to adopt it.

Don't feel you need to find a bunch before you hide, but don't feel required to hide any just because you are having fun finding.

Take your time. Find just the right spot. Pick a container appropriate for the location. Cammo as needed but remember that it will need to hold up to being repeatedly handled. I've seen some nice looking caches that just couldn't take the wear and tare of use.

Hide what you like to find and someone will enjoy finding it. So think about it. What are the caches you enjoyed finding the most? Those are good places to start. Use them as a springboard to building your own fabulous cache. Not necessary to copy them, but think about the qualities they have that contributed to your enjoyment.

The most important thing is to remember to have fun!

On those occasions when I'm asked, I advocate finding X number of caches before hiding one, on the premise that experience is an awesome teacher. I usually leave defining what number X equals to them, unless they press for suggestions, at which point I say "100". 100 is not a magic number, and you will not be automatically blessed with higher knowledge when you reach 100, but it does roll off the tongue nicely.

That being said, only you can decide if you are ready to become a cache owner. The fact that you came here looking for advice indicates there's at least a bit of trepidation going on. Hopefully these responses have led you to believe there is nothing wrong with just finding caches, if you are not ready to hide one. Your worries seem to be focused more on the fact that you will likely be moving soon, rather than your find count, and that's a valid concern. One of the greatest responsibilities of a cache owner is being able to maintain your hide. If you create a hide, then move, you are stuck with either archiving your hide, adopting it out, or relying on others to do your job for you, none of which are very palatable.

This is what the guidelines say about cache permanence:

Cache Permanence

When you report a cache on the Geocaching.com web site, geocachers should (and will) expect the cache to be there for a realistic and extended period of time. Therefore, caches that have the goal to move ("traveling caches"), or temporary caches (caches hidden for less than 3 months or for events) most likely will not be published. If you wish to hide caches for an event, bring printouts to the event and hand them out there.

We realize that it is possible that a planned long-term cache occasionally becomes finite because of concerns with the environment, missing or plundered caches, or the owner’s decision to remove the cache for other valid reasons. Please do your best to research fully, hide wisely, and maintain properly for a long cache life.

Is that something you're willing to commit to?

Either way, good luck & have fun!

-Sean

Reviewing a new cache has been liken to "birthing a child", with the reviewer acting as midwife. :D

To continue with this analogy, which I think works rather well, you are treating the prospect of "cache procreation" with serious consideration, in advance - I sometimes wish more cache owners would do this!

I generally support what Clan Riffster has said above: you'll know when you feel ready to take on the parental responsibilities and all that they entail. Your fellow cachers will (mostly) thank you for not dropping random, un-planned offspring all over the place which may end up not be properly maintained, leading to feral caches causing annoyances to those who find them. :laughing:

OK, I've stretched this idea far enough...

Good luck when you decide to commit :P

MrsB

Firstly... although I've seen some local "geopolice" who rant about a "10% rule" where one should hide caches at the rate of 10% of their finds to help out the geocaching community as a whole... there are no set rules. I hide caches while my wife does not hide very many. So be it!

Secondly... there are several ways in which to handle caches that you are moving away from. Many suggestions have already been given. We had a prolific cache hider move from our area to Oregon last year. Some caches she took with her since the containers were so unique and she wanted to place them near her new home. Many of the areas where these caches use to be were then taken over by local cachers who hid new caches in the area. Other caches were adopted by local cachers who have taken the challenge to keep them going. Still other caches remained under her ownership from afar and when the caches suffered from excessive DNF's she just archived them. Many of these areas are then checked by local cachers who will look for geo-trash, remove it if necessary and then take over the area with new caches.

Thanks so much for all the input, I really appreciate it. I've got lots to think about. In the meantime I can at least get a couple of containers and work on making them into cool caches so that when I find a good location they'll be ready to place, whether that ends up being here or where we move to.

:P

I would argue that the very fact that you are concerned about whether you are ready to hide a good cache is proof that you are, indeed, ready.

I totally agree. Sounds like you care enough to hide a good cache, so go for it.

If it turns out that you need to move you can either archive it, or you can offer it up for adoption to a local.

If you have a great location and idea for a hide - go for it. No regrets on what happens to your life in the future.

Also - there are so many ways to contribute to this activity of ours:

• Cache in - Trash out
  • Attend events
  • Teach others
  • trade up or even - always
  • host events
  • Create a unique signature item
  • move travel bugs
  • participate in local groups
  • post in the forums
  • etc

...What should I do?

Your heart is in the right place. If you find a location that's worth a cache place it. By the book you only need the intent to have in place 3 months (or is it 4?). If it's worth placing and you know for a fact that you will move before hand, work with a local cacher to list it so they can take it over after you leave.

StarBrand has other ideas on contributing that are all perfectly good.